Eva

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 04:16 pm
eoe wrote:
Well, I actually considered that but fought the urge. Smile

I knew that. Cool Laughing
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:02 pm
Many's the time we all get caught without a camera and miss that beautiful butterfly. Good for you, eoe !

ID'd your butterfly on Google:

http://www.clemson.edu/sandhill/images/newsfield/insects/butterfly1.jpg

Tiger swallowtail Pterourus glaucus
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 08:06 pm
I need to recharge the batteries for the camera.
The dehumidifier water is helping those sad dry plants. Things are starting to lush up a bit again.
I haven't watered in front for over 3 years, but this is just too hot and dry to expect the plants to survive without any help.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 29 Jun, 2005 10:56 pm
eoe
eoe wrote:
you're joking, right? Albuqueque gets alot of rain???

URL: http://www.abqjournal.com/news/metro/367077metro06-29-05.htm

We are getting smoke from the Arizona fires in Albuqerque added to our 99 degree heat today.

Wednesday, June 29, 2005
Monsoons May Move In a Bit Late
By John Fleck
Albuquerque Journal Staff Writer

Don't be fooled. It's not the monsoons yet.

Another blast of thunderstorms popped up over Albuquerque Tuesday afternoon, the lingering after-effects of moisture from last week's rainstorms. But as they have been in recent days, the storms were more spit bath than soak, and forecasters say we could be a week-and-a-half away from genuine monsoons firing up across the Southwest.

Full-fledged monsoons require a stream of moisture from the south, and that might not happen until July 10, according to Charlie Liles, head of the National Weather Service's Albuquerque office.

In an average year, the monsoons reach southern New Mexico by July 3 and Albuquerque by July 7.

A ridge of high pressure is acting like a dam to the south, blocking the moisture we need. That fits with a forecast that odds favor a drier-than-average July and August across much of New Mexico.

New Mexico on average gets as much as 40 percent of its annual precipitation during the summer rains of July and August, part of a widespread phenomenon called the "North American Monsoon."

The rain begins as moist low-level air streaming north from the Gulf of California and the Gulf of Mexico. Once it gets here, thermals created by the high desert sun loft the moisture high into the atmosphere, where it congeals into the great dark summer thunderheads that are a Southwestern trademark.

In a paradox of desert life, it could be our record wet winter that leaves us dry this summer, climatologists say.

A mid-June forecast from the federal government's Climate Prediction Center in Maryland said odds favor below-normal precipitation from July to September in the Southwest.

A big reason, according to Kelly Redmond of the Western Regional Climate Center in Reno, is the heavy snowpack left by a wet winter.

Research over the last decade has drawn a connection between the snowpack and rain the following summer. The likely reason, according to scientists, is that the high mountains of the Colorado Plateau act as a pump, sucking in moisture from the south as they heat up.

More snow means the high country heats up more slowly, making the pump less efficient. And that is what happened this year, according to University of New Mexico climate scientist David Gutzler.

"Definitely we've seen a big snowpack and moist ground," said Gutzler, who first identified the snowpack-monsoon link.

One sign of a coming monsoon is rain along Mexico's central mountain chain, moving from south to north during late June before it slops over into Arizona and New Mexico.

So far that is not happening, a good indicator that the monsoons will be late, Redmond acknowledged.

Humidity has also remained low across the Southwest, another sign that the monsoonal flow of moisture is not yet in place.

"It looks like the odds are better and better that it's going to be late," Redmond said.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 06:59 am
We're under a complete watering ban. Neighbors are calling the police when they see a sprinkler running. It's getting ugly. I've been using my watering can to give my newer plants an occasional drink.

We had a short, but insignificant shower early this morning and the record heat should break after today. 8 straight days in the 90s. Longest streak on record.

There's a line of storms in Iowa crossing into IL. I hope they stay together long enough to make it here.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 11:50 am
Keeping my fingers crossed for you J_B. I remember growing up in Arizona, seeing those huge rain clouds pile up over the mountains only to disappear. Those memories are why I still like to walk in the rain. When it is a rare commodity, it becomes as precious as diamonds.
0 Replies

Poodlz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 03:25 pm
Would any of you be able to recommend a creeper vine that is real hardy against the heat? I need something for good shade.

Thanks!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 06:58 pm
J_B : i can feel for you. haven't had much rain since early may. we are right on lake ontario and are currently restricted to watering on alternate days from 5 to 9 in the morning. have been warned that complete watering ban may be enforced any day. plenty of rain just 50 miles to the north of here, but the rain stays clear of eastern lake ontario.

so i am watering in the ealy morning , which is best for the plants anyway.
hurray ! the beans have started to set ! hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 07:58 pm
No rain here, either, in spite of lots of 60% chance of rain announcements. It's plenty humid, so I'm taking buckets of dehumidifier water out to that very depressed dogwood at the front.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 08:43 pm
this evening at 6:26, patio temp 96 F
http://img178.imageshack.us/img178/4677/hotgarden0017mj.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 10:08 pm
Poodlz - Hey Athens! I wonder, given your handle, if you know an old pal in the Athens dog grooming biz.

Avoiding the pleasant, but the infestive kudzu vine, I'd try the chartruse (how is that word spelled...?) or dark leaved sweet potato vine. It might be an annual even in Athens - so good for pot plantings and for a splash of color.

What other conditions do you have? How much shade are you working with? Any sun at all?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 11:16 pm
Hi Poodlz. Another pretty vine that takes shade is the black-eyed Susan vine.

Besides the heat, the humidity has been hovering at 7 lately. That's dry!
0 Replies

diagknowz

Reply Sat 2 Jul, 2005 11:29 pm
Idea
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:42 pm
This is a new rose bush I bought a few days ago and stuck in a pot.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/imposter222/july2yellowrose1666.jpg
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:44 pm
Lemony!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:47 pm
I really like the light yellow-whitish color of this rose.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 09:51 pm
I like yellow rose. Maybe more than any other color.
0 Replies

Poodlz

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:30 pm
littlek wrote:
dark leaved sweet potato vine. ....What other conditions do you have? How much shade are you working with? Any sun at all?

Sweet tater vine? Hmmmnnn, does that mean I might actually get real taters? And you're saying it's not year-round? I need something as tough as a cactus against the blare of the heat, 365 days a year. The top of the patio, the slats, gets sun the whole day long. The patio itself gets varying amounts of sun, depending on what area. The 4 pines are dying a slow, agonizing death. (It's causing my heart to agonize, too Crying or Very sad ) I want vines to take the place of the trees once they're felled. Something that needs little water. Something that's as feisty as a cactus in resisting the sun. Smile

Thanks for your help.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:32 pm
Very, very hot in Silicon Valley today.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Tue 12 Jul, 2005 04:38 pm
Poodlz, Are you familiar with Vinca?

http://hortwww-2.ag.ohio-state.edu/hcs/TMI/Plantlist/vi_minor.html
0 Replies