How is your garden looking today?

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:20 pm
ok just went out and took these evening pics a few mins ago;
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VwDxAlcbGM4uV*qxmKp4eOeUUr*1QizcmhVvdQGNArYG1QfL15bx*U0zXG3*As6x3jbqqeIO9byg9CSR4HyVoXGrCJ6c89GZET!akERs!OqWdTQDAWaZYZJFDvL1Xbm2/yard-may-evening%20001.jpg
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:23 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VwAAAFgbWM4uV*qxmKp4eOeUUr*1QizcLAEFgzhgquQQxNbR8bVPjjmsg8dZXhInd0HIzniUDHfTNsSP9bLSFGIFrHZCfHGUSvyiAPZhyG*I!xR!4MtQ2IdHL2QSBsvc/yard-may-evening%20002.jpg
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:28 pm
Throw a shrimp on the barbee, will be right there with some beer.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:29 pm
you got it C.I.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:30 pm
Coming along, coming along!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:35 pm
Dys, did you guys do all that since you moved in? Did Osso do garden work while she was there?

I took some pix with my parents camera today, I'll post them when I get them.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:36 pm
How are you guys posting your pix?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:37 pm
I notice a certain scamp at the far end of the photo...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:37 pm
of course osso helped and yes everything done since we moved in as it was totally gravel rock when we got here.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:39 pm
<Osso tried to not let anything die...>
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:51 pm
It looks very nice and orderly, all those squares defining the plantings. I'll bet it must be calming for you two.

In our messy "naturalized" yard we finally got the Katsuras planted today along with the variegated willows around the new retention ponds. We've had terrible weather for the last two weeks -- near torrential rain most every day. The only good thing about that is it gave us a good idea of where the water flows.

On Saturday I bought several kinds of sedum at the Farmers Market to make a sedum basket. They're charging between $35 and $85 for them at the market, but each sedum was only $2 each and I've got a perfect old basket I can use. I still need to get some fluffy peat moss for stuffing inbetween the plants.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:53 pm
Osso - is that Pacco?

eoe, where are your pictures right now?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 08:56 pm
giving credit where it's due, Blatham and Lola helped as well (with the yard)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:02 pm
I can't wait to see it fill out a bit! Send us more pix at the end of the summer?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:05 pm
the dwarf peach and florabunda white rose just went in the ground, next comes some vinca around the peach (with columbines) and then I start on the front yard.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:10 pm
Tis the dog of some friends..
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:16 pm
That is the rear end of Sally, our little dog. Osso took care of Sally and our conure, Fred while we were in Europe.

Piff, if we had a larger yard, I would love to have part of it naturalized. Our next door neighbor has planned her garden specifically for birds, with lots of bushes, a huge climbing rose and many other places that are convenient for nesting. We have feeders out so many finches come by to stuff their little bodies with thistle seeds.

Yes, it is very calming--the patio and garden are our favorite "rooms" in-out-of the house. In the mornings we usually see hot air balloons drifting overhead and in the evenings we watch the sunset and listen to the birds softly chirping themselves to sleep. Can't think of anyplace I'd rather be.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:16 pm
http://www.business-services.upenn.edu/arboretum/katsura2.html
http://www.the-tree.org.uk/BritishTrees/TreeGallery/katsurac.htm

edit since third link didn't work.

Trees that work in Japan tend to work where Piffka and I live...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:40 pm
Oh, lovely pictures! I'm especially happy to see Beth's, she's talked about it so much and I've been curious.

The baskets I made are doing really nicely, the cherry Superbells have faded a bit -- as in, the new ones that blossom are not as bright cherry pink -- but I like the new color, and otherwise they seem to be doing great.

Piffka, I did the same -- I went to my favorite, expensive (but so cool) garden place and looked at what they had in their containers and then copied 'em, basically, for WAY cheaper. Got plants from here and there, 3 places total. Just planted the front containers (urns, not baskets), with more million bells/ superbells (cherry and deep purple as opposed to cherry and white), um I can never remember the name, snow something (but not carpet of snow), small trailing white flowers, some soft pink verbena (my new favorite flower, gorgeous and smells nice), a deep pink-to-violet geranium each, and asparagus fern in the background. (That's what I used on the hanging baskets, the spiky green stuff.)

Then around back steps planted white, pink, and deep purple verbena in a pot each.

Today got my annuals, 16 impatiens and 16 petunias, same range of colors (which sound boring, but lots of variations.)

I took some pics a while ago but haven't got them developed yet, will take more.

Having fun, haven't killed anything yet. :-)

http://www.theonion.com/images/438/image_article2857_160x120.jpg

Millions Of Plants Sent From Nation's Garden Departments To Their Deaths

(^^^ Onion "In The News" item...)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 May, 2005 09:52 pm
Sozobe, I am glad you mentioned Beth's garden, I had missed those photos. Lovely, Beth, it all looks good together...
0 Replies