How is your garden looking today?

neko nomad

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 02:13 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQAkA1EZjEA0gq0S4Ys1TMj6sw2E9*8lCAAMi*fJSYEcSZHG9uuqRqiK6U*I!vqAQV2COoX3eJ7*fL00UO*9nVR056gpTdwTsBenmCiFqNIWE80CDhrTCBkmCRIOR!ld/neko%20nomad%20231.jpg

Not much red or orange on it this year,but what a glorious gold.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 31 Oct, 2004 06:05 pm
We were just discussing the odd behavior of our oak tree. The purple Thundercloud plums have barely begun to drop their leaves which stay purple. The yellow fruit plums & apple, plus the rough-bark birch are still green. The Japanese flowering cherry is 25% yellow, as are most of the others (Mtn.ash, alder, big leaf maple, etc.). Weirdly, the oak is totally bronzed and is dropping its leaves. Usually it is the last. I'm worried it might be sick. We have had some good red color from a couple of the dogwoods. I wish I had some Japanese maples. I've seen some while driving around that are fantastic this year. Brilliant!

edit -- forgot to add...
Nice photos, btw. I wish I'd thought to do that, Neko. Littlek, as always, you have fantastic flower images... Toad Lilies!
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sun 14 Nov, 2004 03:54 pm
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0VQDuAkoZIEA0gq0S4Ys1TMj6sw2E9*8lKIYLTawpudYEu7wJEAiCNUna*ClWYU!0MEOFqbWZerTOkQl6hg0CTfLZqR0PNEKm5HUnNL7np5I!nlqYkesBssP7iVUvgWhq/neko%20nomad%20232.jpg
The garden as of noon today.

Same view, back in July.

Thank you, Piffka -- hope you show off your garden here; I'm dying from curiosity about the others', also...
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 15 Nov, 2004 06:53 am
Beautiful in all seasons, neko!
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 20 Nov, 2004 06:01 pm
Here's a photo from my garden -- this was last Spring, sorry it is so small. It is a purple Hellebore. Mr.P has recently covered it with oak leaves and I'm trying to get him to take them off. In my experience, everything under oak leaves dies. Unfortunately, I think I'll have to remove them myself or at least get them off the hellebore leaves. Hellebores do well in the cool & damp of Puget Sound. This one flowered for a long time -- quite gratifying.

http://www.able2know.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10145/thumb_Hellebore%20March%2028%2C%202004.jpg
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 10:34 am
Piffka: Here's a shot of my primulas (screen-size shot) mulched for the winter by fallen maple leaves.

The oak leaves should do fine, but make sure the foliage of your plants get sunlight.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 11:51 am
Thanks, Neko. Won't it be nice when the primulas start to bloom! I think maple leaves must decompose more quickly than the oak. I've had some bad experiences with plants dying underneath this tree -- just now there is a well-established hydrangea that suddenly seems to be struggling. (Of course, having the horse tromp on it repeatedly this summer did not help.)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sun 21 Nov, 2004 01:00 pm
except for raking the leaves, there isn't anything left to do in the garden. since we had a fairly wet fall, the crocus are sending up some shoots to get rid of excess moisture - but no blooms ! hbg
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:20 pm
The flower bed in the back, under a flowering crab, as of
today.

The same spot as of last May.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v188/nekonomad/sylvester-blu_2.gif
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 7 Dec, 2004 03:26 pm
I kind of shifted the dead leaves in our backyard with the blower. It's now in several piles rather than all over the backyard - until the wind comes up again.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Mon 10 Jan, 2005 02:33 pm
The area under my maple tree out in the back as of today (click thumbnail):

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/7d/1eae.jpg

The same view as of last spring(click thumbnail):

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/7d/1ead.jpg
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 02:19 pm
This is how Lake Ontario looks today; we had freezing fog this morning, but all of the frost disappeared a couple of hours after sunrise. The garden doesn't look much better.

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/7d/1fa4.jpg
(click)
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 02:34 pm
Things don't look as grim in Virginia. In fact it is sunny. But go outside and the wind is bitingly cold. No yard work possible.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sat 12 Mar, 2005 02:51 pm
(Sorry for the extra post. I got a pop-up alledgedly from a2k saying my access had been temporarily suspended. I wanted to see if I could still post. It's Saturday night in the mountains of Virginia; so it is bath night for the family and the dogs. Perhaps that was getting to be the problem,)
Anyway, I ordered seeds about two weeks ago and they came a few days ago. I've got the packets laid out on a table in one of the spare rooms and I move them around. Thinking, hoping, that this year I'm going to have the best garden ever. ever. Spring will come and hope springs eternal. johnboy (Zone 7)
0 Replies

hotsauce

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:02 am
not so good...but starting to show signs of life.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:08 am
According to tradition, I should be planting my spring lettuces, spinach, and other greens today. I cleaned out my kitchen bed last week in anticipation. I would be out there right now spreading little seeds of mesculin, cress, arugula, and spinach if it wasn't snowing so hard.

grrrrrrrr.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 11:11 am
My garden is now a construction zone. They cut down all the fruit trees this week. We took 2" trunk sections to make cutting boards from.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 12:28 pm
Our friend gave us some black bamboo in a container that I replanted into our own container and two onion ornamental plants that I replanted into our flower box. Wink I haven't purchased any flowers, because I'm going to be gone for one month beginning on April 15, and it'll all be dead when I return if I planted any flowers now.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2005 05:31 pm
neko nomad wrote:
This is how Lake Ontario looks today; we had freezing fog this morning, but all of the frost disappeared a couple of hours after sunrise. The garden doesn't look much better.

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/7d/1fa4.jpg
(click)

Thats pretty though!

Over here, things on the balcony are showing more than a glimmer of hope. The Astilbe is reviving, a young stalk peeping up remarkably tall from the empty earth. And the Dusty Miller, surprisingly, survived winter. Which made me very happy. OK, so I did take it in a time or two, when it was freezing or even snowing outside.

Thats what I did with the Japanese willow too, the Hakuro-nishiki, which is supposed to survive the winter anyway, but the one I used to have most definitely didn't last year, hence taking this one in to be on the safe side - and so, it's still alive! And very confused. Because taken in from the snow outside right to a snuggly temporary place in the warmth, it thought spring had started - and sprouted all kinds of new thin green shoots. Bet it regretted that when it was outside again in the still chilly evening air. It seems to be in an ambivalent kind of stasis now.

Also confused was the Vrouwenmantel or alchemilla mollis, which popped up with cheerful little baby-green leaves all over inside when I brought everything in because of record snowfall outside - which however are still stubbornly persisting in looking cheerful even now they're outside again. In the ranks of the confused, too, is the Kroontjeskruid or Euphorbia Helioscopia, which got all happy with a new top extension of fresh green leaves when it was inside, then sagged again somewhat grumpily when taken back out. Seems OK enough now.

The Bidens, Dahlia, Lobelias and Felicias all died in winter, alas. But I think they're all more or less expected to, tho some descriptions had offered hope of a possible two-year life span. (I could have saved the dahlia I suppose, but the prescriptions on how to dry and preserve it were too complicated for me).

The one loss I had really hoped to avoid was that of the licorice. I liked it so much! And all around town I see it in tiny strips of earth beside front doors, even in flower box hanging off of windowsills, still very much alive. But mine died - it looks miserable, everything dried dead and crisped.

Was it because of the wind here where my balcony is? It turns pretty cold sometimes ... or did I not care for it right? I still blame the painters too, from when they trampled all over it, or rather, targeted their high-pressure water spout at my balcony. The licorice never emerged back from that, reduced to cold limp strings that stuck to the balcony floor as it was ... <angry>

But still, all in all, considering winter that came and went and the paint that was dripped over the earth in my pots and the trampling - considering I had given up altogether, in fact - it looks better than expected ... any time now, I'll go and buy some new things again too.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Fri 18 Mar, 2005 01:06 pm
The view out back is one that only the ever-optimistic gardener could love.

http://sc.groups.msn.com/tn/9A/10/TheRavensRealm/7d/1fb8.jpg
0 Replies