How is your garden looking today?

hamburger

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 08:00 pm
dys : see you in five years ! not much left in our garden. the rain that was promised for last night didn't amount to much, most of it went to the north of here(ottawa valley). we are now hoping that we'll get some rain on sunday. did pick a few beans and tomatoes(aren't quite ripe yet, so have to place them in a paperbag for a few days). hbg
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 08:03 pm
I second littlek's reply, dys. Gardening is a darned good outlet for your creative energy.

Piffka: I couldn't take a good shot to illustrate my description of the view from the patio (very poor focus) but here's a hyperlink to a shot of a stand of white asters as seen from the butterfly garden (full screen size) to show their capability to add flair to the tall border. In this spot they also help screen out the view of the yard next door. Mind you,though, they do require management; they aren't as exuberant in the butterfly garden. Yet.

Msolga: wish you a good gardening season.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Aug, 2004 08:31 pm
Those white asters are so big and lush. Very nice! I like the (is it?) rudbeckia, too!
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 02:22 am
Oh yes, they're rudbeckias allright,and they'd take over the new iris bed (out of sight) if I let them.

Will be off the air for a week or so. As soon as I send this reply we're heading off for a trip to Vegas for some desert air.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sun 29 Aug, 2004 10:53 am
Fun! Have a great trip. I suppose all those plants will get along without a week's worth of water?
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 12:27 pm
Thankfully, there was some rainfall here while we were away. The butterfly garden is in full bloom now,and here is a close look at the patio view side taken just this morning. The focus is still not great, but it's the best I could do with my digital camera. I suspect the bright sunlight on the white flowers affects the camera's focus.

All too soon these plants will have to be gathered up and shredded for the composter.

Had a good trip; temperatures there ranged a bracing 105-107degrees F.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:10 pm
MY autumn clematis is blooming 2 years after I planted it. I just planted 3 more clematis, 3 hostas and I have yet to sink a viburnum 'burkwoodii'. I love nursery sales!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:28 pm
Have fun, littlek! Nothing like it, is there? Very Happy

The much needed rain here, followed by gentle sunny days, have transformed our gardens. Very Happy I'm mesmorised each time I set foot out there! And I SWEAR that the leaves on the fig tree, over-hanging my back fence from next door, doubled in size yesterday! Mere buds a week ago. My rose bushes are having a great run (green, healthy leaves!) and the boronia in my front yard! It smells heavenly! This is a seriously swoonish time, I tell you! Laughing
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:29 pm
MsOlga - Pictures please! I'm so glad you got some rain.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 07:41 pm
I wish I COULD send pictures, littlek! Technology & all that Rolling Eyes - sorry!
I also wish I couple send a "smell post" - that boronia is just heaven! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:22 pm
I don't even know what boronia is.... I'll go look it up.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:30 pm
It's a gorgeously smelling Oz native (small & rather delicate looking) bush, littlek. The variety with brown flowers (yellow on the inside) has the most beautiful fragrance. Wish I could just pass you a small branch so you could sniff for yourself! Laughing
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:38 pm
It's been harvest time for my garden and I've been doing lots of canning these days. Things are late due to the crazy weather, but it's coming along.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:39 pm
I didn't forget to take pictures of moms flowers, but I just haven't had time to upload them.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:45 pm
MsOlga - Is this the flower?
http://www.livingessences.com.au/catalog/images/borbrown_c.jpg
http://www.abc.net.au/landline/img/20011020boronia1.jpg
http://www.bush-sense.com/assets/boronia+closeup.jpg

The yellow and pink varieties are stunning!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:47 pm
I THINK so, littlek ... not sure. I'll see if I can find a pic.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:48 pm
The leaves in these pix look like rosemary
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:56 pm
littlek

It's Boronia megastigma. No 3 on this link.

http://farrer.riv.csu.edu.au/ASGAP/boron1.html
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 09:58 pm
stunning! The web says that oils are made from it. And that the leaves are also aromatic.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 5 Sep, 2004 10:04 pm
Yes, oils, perfumes, creams ....
It's really an insignificant littlek plant. I totally forgot I'd planted it, as Lavender had taken over that part of the plot. But then it flowered! Very Happy It wafts toward you the minute you come through my front gate. Seriously, deliriously lovely! Laughing
0 Replies