number six

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:08 pm
The Prisoner was a 1967 UK science fiction television series, starring Patrick McGoohan. It was devised by McGoohan and George Markstein, and produced by Lew Grade's ITC Entertainment for broadcast on ITV and overseas. McGoohan wrote and directed several episodes, often under a pseudonym.
Last week the lady Diane found a complet set of all the Prisoner episodes on DVD and ordered it (it's my all time favorite t.v. programe, Thonight we watched episode number 1.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,725 • Replies: 12
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:12 pm
Patrick MCgoohan as the Prisoner in the opening scene driving his Lotus 7
http://my.voyager.net/~quadrant19/McGoohan-prisoner.jpg
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:13 pm
My brother the cartoonist is the same way about that show. I believe he also owns the DVD set. I enjoyed it also.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:25 pm
I've never seen the show.
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:35 pm
The Gilligan's Island feel of he'll-never-get-off-the-island lost me after a couple episodes. I preferred The Avengers.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:44 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
The Gilligan's Island feel of he'll-never-get-off-the-island lost me after a couple episodes. I preferred The Avengers.
Good taste is timeless, buy a watch.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 09:56 pm
Actually I would put The Prisoner up there with George Orwells Animal Farm and Anthony Burgess Clockwork Orange.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:22 pm
It definitely had that going for it. I don't recall if a reason for his captivity was given.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:40 pm
I recall that blob thing that was always after him. Great show!
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sat 21 Oct, 2006 10:58 pm
I really liked The Prisoner, but never understood the last episode.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 06:31 am
Jim wrote:
I really liked The Prisoner, but never understood the last episode.

McGoohan has explained the meaning of the episode, which in fact contains the meaning of the whole series; that we are prisoners of ourselves - this particular point being represented by Number 1, when the masks were removed, being Number 6. McGoohan asserts we choose to limit our own actions ("I won't" is exactly the same as "I can't") and many choices are made for us; this was partially represented by the Penny Farthing symbol of The Village, which referred to the ongoing march of technology and development, something which none of us - no-one at all - has actually sat down and decided whether or not this is really what we want to be doing, or if we're coping with it, and so on. Finally, in the end of the episode, Number Six, having freed himself from The Village, in fact ends up going back to his old flat, the same place and ways as before - in other words, even after obtaining that freedom, he's in fact back to the very same prison he was in before.

A suggested rationalization of the series and its culmination is that The Village is an institution of the British government that functions to determine whether or not those who know military secrets and seek to return to civilian life are susceptible to giving up that information under interrogatory pressure. After Number Six endures the breadth of tortures, psychological ploys, chemically-induced states and questioning techniques that The Village administration has at its disposal and divulges close to nothing of what he knows, The Village's administration allows him to go free, lauding him for the principles of individualism and personal liberty that equipped him to withstand all manner of interrogation methods.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fall_Out_%28The_Prisoner%29
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 22 Oct, 2006 07:46 am
Thanks for the explanation, Dyslexia.
0 Replies

barrythemod

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 05:06 am
dyslexia wrote:
Patrick MCgoohan as the Prisoner in the opening scene driving his Lotus 7
http://my.voyager.net/~quadrant19/McGoohan-prisoner.jpg

That classic car ended up in Australia,current owner unkown.

"I am not a number,I am a free man!"
"I will not be punched,filed,stamped,indexed,briefed,de-briefed or numbered !
0 Replies