0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 26 Oct, 2006 06:53 pm
love bladders, and fry and laurie as jeeves and wooster

looking for not the nine o'clock news on dvd, and alas smith and jones
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 01:35 pm
As long as you're discussing BlackAdder, I must warn you not to mention the Scottish play.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 30 Oct, 2006 05:54 pm
Hugh Laurie hosted SNL this past week.
0 Replies

George

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 07:24 am
plainoldme wrote:
Hugh Laurie hosted SNL this past week.

"Ghost Hunter" skit was silly, but hilarious.
0 Replies

OperaGhost

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 09:35 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
I like the Blackadder episode where somebody writes a dictionary and Blackadder asks if he put in aardvvark. Of course he didn't and so has to start over.

The "Blackadder Goes Forth" series are my favorite. They are the blackest and the most cynical about life in the trenches in WWI.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/comedy/guide/images/400/blackadder4_1.jpg

I love that episode!! :-D It's nice to know I'm not the only one who enjoied that one!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 2 Nov, 2006 11:58 pm
And they let me take a bath.
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:15 am
Equus wrote:
It [Blackadder] is very popular.

Well, yes and no. It is broadcast periodically on Public Television, which only a small percentage of the public actually watches. The show has it's fans, (I am one), but it is not popular in the way that a top twenty show is popular. There are a lot more people over here who have not heard of it than who have.

I don't wish to put a damper on things, but I wouldn't want Brit A2Kers planning to visit America to think that they can throw out jokes referencing Blackadder and expect most Americans to understand them.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 07:29 am
kelticwizard wrote:
Equus wrote:
It [Blackadder] is very popular.

Well, yes and no. It is broadcast periodically on Public Television, which only a small percentage of the public actually watches. The show has it's fans, (I am one), but it is not popular in the way that a top twenty show is popular. There are a lot more people over here who have not heard of it than who have.

I don't wish to put a damper on things, but I wouldn't want Brit A2Kers planning to visit America to think that they can throw out jokes referencing Blackadder and expect most Americans to understand them.

Hell, we don't understand most Brit jokes anyway.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 01:07 pm
Ironically, conservative Dallas was the first to accept and broadcast "Monty Python's Flying Circus." It was rejected time after time and apparantly Dallas was it's lat hope. I always though that British sitcoms were meticulously crafted more so than American shows. Of course the season is limited to 10 episodes or so, which is frustrating.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 03:00 pm
When did Dallas begin showing Python? I first learned of Python in 1973 or 74.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Fri 3 Nov, 2006 04:14 pm
used to watch python in the late 70's on a detroit pbs station, also the goodies

first heard the hitchikers guide on a detroit pbs radio station as well

our local cbc (canadian broadcastinf corporation) affiliate used to show alot of brit-coms, bless me father, paradise lodge, and a few others i can't remember
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Sat 4 Nov, 2006 10:57 am
I went to my first Monty Python movie at the Detroit Institute of Arts in perhaps 1973 or 74. First heard the Spam song on Detroit public radio shortly before seeing the movie. Had to have occured prior to November of '74.
0 Replies

Equus

Reply Sun 5 Nov, 2006 03:29 pm
Movie theaters in the small town I was living in during 1979 refused to screen Life of Brian under complaints from religious groups. I drove 150 miles to a larger city and watched both Life of Brian and Apocalypse Now on the same day. What a combination! I'm still deranged from the experience.
0 Replies

plainoldme

Reply Mon 6 Nov, 2006 06:33 pm
Wow! I saw The Life of Brian in Nashua, NH and that's about as small a town as you might imagine.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 7 Nov, 2006 12:12 pm
plainoldme wrote:
When did Dallas begin showing Python? I first learned of Python in 1973 or 74.

Here's what wikipedia says:In 1974,"KERA became the first American television station to air Monty Python's Flying Circus."
0 Replies