Recipe category Hors D'oeurves: Crisp Shrimp Balls

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
PAI CHIAO HSIA CH'IU (Shrimp Balls)
Adapted by BumbleBeeBoogie

These shrimp balls are among the best appetizers I've ever tasted. I searched for years to find a recipe in English after I tried, without success, to get a translation from the woman who prepared them for a party I attended over twenty years ago.

20 slices white bread, crusts removed, in 1/4-inch cubes (or the equivalent in Japanese Panko dried bread crumbs)
1-1/8 pound shrimp, shelled, deveined and rinsed
1/2 cup water chestnuts, blanches and finely chopped
1 large egg white, beaten lightly
2 tablespoons lard, finely chopped (do not substitute)
1 tablespoon rice wine
1-1/2 teaspoons ginger root, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons scallion (green onion) white part only, minced
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
peanut or corn oil for frying

Optional dip for shrimp balls:
3 tablespoons coarse salt (sea salt or Kosher salt)
1 tablespoon Szechwan peppercorns, crushed and lightly toasted

(If using the Japanese Panko dried bread crumbs, you make skip the following: Arrange the bread cubes in one layer on a baking sheet and let them dry at room temperature overnight.)

In a food processor, puree the shrimp; transfer to a bowl, and stir in the water chestnuts, egg white, lard, wine, ginger, scallion, salt, and cornstarch. Beat vigorously with a wooden spoon and compact it. Form rounded teaspoons of the mixture into balls with your hands, dipped in cold water. Roll the balls in the bread crumbs, pressing the cubes in lightly. Arrange them in one layer on a baking sheet.

1st frying: In a deep fryer, heat 2-inches of the oil to 375 degrees F. In it, fry the shrimp balls in batches, turning them, for 1 to 2 minutes or until they are golden. Transfer the shrimp balls to paper towels to drain.

2nd frying: Bring the oil up to 375 degrees F. again and add the shrimp balls. Fry again, turning until they are a deep golden. Transfer to paper towels to drain.

Optional: In a small bowl, stir together the coarse salt and peppercorns for dipping. Serve with the shrimp balls.

Makes 30 shrimp balls
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,731 • Replies: 0
No top replies