Recipe category Side Dishes: Herb-Sauteed Mushrooms

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
Herb-Sauteed Mushrooms
An original recipe by BumbleBeeBoogie

My friends always ask me to make my herb-sauteed mushrooms when inviting me to Holiday Season dinners. Maybe that's why I'm invited to so many dinner parties.

1/3 cup combined extra virgin olive oil and melted butter
1 or 2 green onions (scallions), finely chopped white part; reserve green tops, refrigerated
1/4 cup dry sherry or Marsala wine
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
Salt, to taste
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Herbs of choice: Thyme, Marjoram, Rosemary, Tarragon, flat Italian parsley
1 pound fresh small button mushrooms

When buying mushrooms, look for very fresh tightly closed caps. Place the mushrooms in a strainer and run water over them to clean any clinging dirt; quickly drain (to avoid absorbing water) and place on paper towels and pat them thoroughly with paper towels to dry.

In a large saute pan (with a cover) over low heat, warm the olive oil, add the butter, sherry or Marsala, vinegar, onions and mushrooms. Saute, uncovered, over medium about 2 minutes. Add the herbs, salt and pepper; saute, covered, for an additional 3 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, leaving the pan covered, and let the mushroom marinate until they cool.

The mushrooms may be stored in a jar or bowl covered in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Reheat in a microwave oven for 20 to 30 seconds. When ready to serve, garnish with the finely chopped reserved green part of the onions.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,890 • Replies: 0
No top replies