Art Appraisal

ossobuco

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 11:28 pm
listening in full duh regalia here.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 08:25 am
I'm not an art appraiser (well, not officially or by credential) and the Antiques Road Show selects experts in each type and era of an object. I would not presume to make an appraisal but refer someone to a credentialed appraiser. If the gallery I am working for has pieces by this artist, I can advise how much they are selling them for. I can also advise someone to place a work into the marketplace and that's the telling criteria of something's value. There's usually a Catch 22 to selling art pieces or antiques. E-Bay attracts buyers looking for bargains so you're likely to get the lowest end of an appraisal or even less. Auction houses will give one an idea of a starting price and will do appraisals -- one has to contact them to see if they have a free day for appraisals.

Back the pricing pieces by a new artist, any gallery director or owner who has no advice as to how to price the work should be looked upon with suspicion. An artist who is trying to break into the profession can't be bogged down by amateurs.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 11:23 am
art
Osso, whatcha wearing? What's full regalia?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 01:32 pm
WIZ-i GUESS I JUST WAS TRYING TO ELICIT SOME GUT FEELING FROM YOU BASED UPON YOUR DEAL;INGS WITH OTHER DEALERS OR APPRAISERS.
THE "...ROADSHOW" HAS APPARENTLY DEVELOPED A REP FOR BEING A PLACE TO GET OVERINFLATED APPRAISALS FOR ENTERTAINMENT VALUE RATHER THAN A VALUE ADDED SERVICE. I READ MAINE ANTIQUES DIGEST AND THERE ARE MANY LETTERS PRINTED FROM OWNERS OF ART AND ANTIQUES WHO HAVE BEEN GIVEN, AS WAS DETERMIONED BY SUBSEQUENT (MORE OBJECTIVE) APPRAISALS, BOGUS VALUE REPORTS WHEN THEY WERE ON THE ROADSHOW

SORRY FOR THE APPARENT FLAME SIZED LETTERS, MY CAP LOCK IS BUSTED AGAIN AND IM READY TO TOSS THIS LAPTOP FROM A VERY HIGH BUILDING
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 01:48 pm
farmerman, Throwing it in the local river or lake would accomplish the same thing. Don't forget to discard it properly. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 02:51 pm
art
fARMERMAN, DON"T TOSS IT. SEND IT TO ME. I"LL PUT IN A SHADOW BOX AND SELL IT AS ART. i"LL ENTITLE THE PIECE, "FRUSTRATION."
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 03:03 pm
Well, JL, you may find it hard sometimes to understand what I say as it often doesn't make sense. I seem to find word play fascinating and communication secondary. Or, to be kinder to myself, the words make sense to me at the time.

In this case, I meant mental regalia, and that I was ignorant about the subject of Antiques Road Show appraisal ability. I then took the expressive ejaculation "doh" of Bart Simpson, or was it Homer, and used it as an adjective, to poor effect I see.

For all this mental activity I wore a pair of old jeans and workshirt plus some pink fuzzy slippers.

Also, I was reeling from the art chat. I was there from 5pm pacific time to something like 8:30 or 9. Lots of people showed up....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:06 pm
Oh, gawd, our love/hate relationship with the ole computer. I had keyboard trouble with my Sony laptop before the warrantee was up (they also had to replace the DVD player, the LCD screen along with a new keyboard. Since, I've had to replace the fan and the floppy disc (which I rarely used). It's all these parts being made in Outer Mongolia that brings the prices down on computers but one must take their chances on how well they hold up. I think they're making hard drives in New Guinea by now.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:10 pm
LW, Before I bought my laptop, I asked the guys working in computer maintenance at Fry's Electronics which laptops had the least amount of problems. They said Fujitsu, Toshiba and Compaq. I bought a Fujitsu. c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 04:11 pm
BTW, take the same piece to three different appraisers and you're likely to get three different appraisals which are from high to low often 20% to 50% difference. I loved the "Will and Grace" episode where Grace and Jack found they had a valuable Dresden teapot and ended up fighting over it. Of course, they both ran through another client's valuable oriental screen and the appraiser presented the teapot to the clients.

Appraisers, of course, try to be objective and avoid personal taste in determining value (especially those accredited by the Society of Appraisers). As was found out with the local scandal over ten years ago, The Upstairs Gallery had an appraiser they paid off to overvalue artworks.
He was not accredited by the Society.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:37 pm
Computers, I love mine but it doesn't love me, keeps going into some sort of computer fright stage which manifests itself in cursor paralysis. I know, I know, we have unresolved conflicts. Mostly I handle it by saving long posts as type them.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2003 05:53 pm
art
I'll not say anything bad about my laptop Compaz presario 2000--superstitious motives. But my Compaq A1000 all-in-one printer-copier-fax-scan machine can go to hell. It's been a problem from the beginning. Probably because I'm severely mechanically challenged. I'm downright afraid of the thing. And it knows it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:14 am
Hewlett/Packards are still the best printers but the combo models are always going to be troublesome.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:30 am
art
Yes, LW, I've decided to stick to single purpose machines from now on.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 12:49 pm
LW, I have always been suspecious of combination anything; like tv with vcr's, printers with fax and scanners, and radio-tv combos. Maybe, one of these days they'll win me over. c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
The TV's with VCR and/or DVD players are great for a bedroom -- just have to pick a more expensive model or you get lower quality performance from each of the components. In the case of the printer/scanner/copier/fax/toaster/knife sharpener combo machines...
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 03:37 pm
You forgot the blender. Smile c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:14 pm
Yes, with the twenty five or more buttons -- MIX, BLEND, DICE, OBLITERATE...and so on. They actually pay executives and marketers who sit in some board room and come up with a new button for blenders! Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
(But it could double as a paper shredder -- great for politcians).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:34 pm
They probably have one in every "My Administration" office. Wink c.i.
0 Replies