New York City--Manhattan--in Films?

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 09:52 pm
nextone<

The Empire State Building probably was made internationally famous thanks to Faye Wray and its role in King Kong. What publicity this movie gave not only to the Building, but to New York itself.

King Kong may seem a bit rusty now, but it is still a part of New York's mythical heritage.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:25 am
Great movies! I'm looking forward to the sweeping shot of New York with Steisand and to revisiting King Kong.

Love Robin Williams and Michael Douglas.

Uh . . . maybe I should set aside two weekends for all of these!!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:47 am
You're going to be watching Manhattan flicks until the end of time!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 08:51 am
"New York, New York" with Liza and DeNiro.

"Crocodile Dundee"

"Next Stop, Greenwich Village"

"The Naked City"

"Great Expectations" (the remake also with DeNiro in a great role)

"Guys and Dolls" (another of many musicals with NYC)

"Die Hard III: With a Vengeance"
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 10:56 am
Dupre

There is nothing that will prepare you for the theater district of the Big Apple.

I've lived in New Jersey all my life -- and have visited the city very, very often.

But just last week I was in town -- and went to the theater district for dinner -- and then went on to Times Square.

It has changed so much I was overwhelmed.

Times Square looks like something out of a science fiction movie. There is so much going on -- so many great, beautiful signs -- so many lights and television screens.

It is breathtaking.

Don't get me wrong -- I love nature and a trip to the Bavarian Alps can knock my socks off. But for pure modern right-in-your-face -- you will never see anything like that area of Manhattan.

I hope you enjoy yourself.

Please do report back to us.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:13 am
Thanks for your encouragement. I've been pricing everything, including the air fare, and--darn it!--to do it right, I'll have to wait till this spring to afford it.

I want to take the hellicopter ride, too. Ever heard of it or done it?

There's a dinner on a boat that goes through the city's waterways and of course, all the plays. We are thinking of staying in a cheap hotel right on theater and restaurant row.

But, we are also considering the fancier hotels, too.

All options are still open.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 11:51 am
I know the Soho district was shown off well in "Prince of Tides" and "After Hours" (this Scorcese film is a brilliant over-looked satire on the strange characters that inhabit that area). I really have to put on my thinking hat to come up with films but one the comes to mind immediately is "All About Eve."
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:02 pm
Frank Apisa wrote:

There is nothing that will prepare you for the theater district of the Big Apple.

It is breathtaking.

Frank's conclusion here is one with which I cannot disagree.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:09 pm
Yes, I'd like to see All About Eve. Often seen it referenced in works of fiction.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 14 Jun, 2003 09:14 pm
It;s often touted as the finest script ever written for a film. It's also about theater -- a whopping great story with some of the most bravada performances of any film. When the sountrack wells up at the end, it lifts one right off their seat at the connotation of the scene.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:20 am
Sounds perfect. However did I miss seeing it? Thanks!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:24 am
On Tuesday nights throughout the summer, there are cruises from midtown down the Hudson to the Statue of Liberty and back. It is a 2 hour cruise -- one starts at 6:30pm and one at 9:30.

It is sponsored by a local jazz station -- and they have great jazz bands playing during the trip.

If you are interested: www.cd1019.com/events/smoothcruise03.aspx
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2003 08:42 am
Wonderful! Thank you.
0 Replies

Trailblazer

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 07:18 am
I love films made in NYC. Anyone here remember The World of Henry Orient--good use of Central Park? Woody Allen's Hannah and Her Sisters includes an architectural tour of great buildings, especially on the Upper West Side. Mickey Blue Eyes --I was in Central Park the day they filmed that--look for me with my hands on my hips standing near a tree in the scene just before The End flashes on screen--my film debut!

Also, what was the Hitchcock film with the scene of crowds walking on Fifth Av and stumbling over a dead body but not bothering to stop?
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 06:34 pm
I'll look for you when I watch Mickey Blue Eyes! Oh, what fun you must have had.
0 Replies