New York City--Manhattan--in Films?

dupre

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 06:46 pm
Which movies really show off Manhattan, especially the theater district?

I hope to go there in October and wanted to rent some movies to see what I will see!

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,675 • Replies: 34
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:22 pm
So many, so little time!

Woody Allen's "Manhattan" is number one in that category for me.

"On the Town," the Bernstein musical with Gene Kelly and Frank Sinatra as sailors on an adventure in the big city with wonderful music and dance numbers.

"My Sister Eileen" is a classic movie with a New York setting and gets the nuances right.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:35 pm
Broadway Danny Rose has always been the film that said New York entertainment to me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:37 pm
Escape from New York . . . Lovey, get that popcorn machine a poppin' ! ! !

Kurt Russell is so baaaaaaaaad . . .

heeheeheeheeheeheeheehee . . .
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:44 pm
Hey, thanks for some great titles. I hope to rent them en masse this weekend and watch them with my buddy!

Thank you!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:46 pm
Enjoy!

Hopefully Roberta will appear later and offer some other titles.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 12:18 am
The only x-rated movie to win an Oscar for Best Picture, Midnight Cowboy[/b]. The X has since been changed to R.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
"Midnight Cowboy" -- great suggestions and I should have thought of it, wh! If one is into oldies, "Street Scene" and "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn."

For the tacker side of The Big Apple, "The Sweet Smell of Success."
0 Replies

Setanta

The Godfather has not been mentioned here, and yet so much of the action takes place there, and Martin did a very compelling cinematographic description of the turn of the 19th to the 20th century city in Part II . . .
0 Replies

bobsmyth

North by Northwest has a clandestine shot of Cary Grant approaching the United Nations Building. Filming was not allowed so he hid the camera inside a truck to get the shot
0 Replies

paleobarbie

vanilla sky
vanilla sky has some scenes filmed IN times Square.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Of course, you can't go wrong watching all the episodes of "Sex in the City" which opens almost all the pages of modern life in NYC.
0 Replies

dupre

Great choices. Thanks for the direction . . . I appreciate it!

bobsmyth: That's an interesting fact about North by Northwest. Thanks!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

I made this a Featured Topic as I know there's going to be a long list.

A great deal of Woody Allen is New York, his home and favorite place in the world. "Annie Hall" is yet another as well as "Bullets Over Broadway."

Part of "The Great Gatsby" is in NYC, "Fort Apache, the Bronx" is an excellent film using NYC locales.

Then the comedy of the decade was "Ghostbusters" and "Ghostbusters II,"
with Gracie Mansion figuring in prominantly in II.

"Miracle on 34th Street" has a lot of NYC locales in it.

"Six Degrees of Seperation," with a plot turning ride through Central Park!

Like I said, so many films, so little time!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

From the 1960s:

1960 -- The Best Picture of the year, The Apartment, could not have been so effective had there not been the loneliness and loveliness one finds so affecting in New York. Co-starring Jack Lemmon and Shirley MacLaine.

1961 -- A sparkling Audrey Hepburn, a quiet George Peppard, a nasty Patricia Neal and a tear-evoking alley cat made the New York cityscape an appropriate back-drop for Truman Capote's Breakfast at Tiffany's. Features Miss Hepburn singing "Moon River" from Henry Mancini's Oscar-winning score.

1967 -- Neil Simon wrote the screenplay (based on his play of the same name) and Gene Saks directed in one of their earliest collaborations, Barefoot in the Park. Besides New York locales, the movie stars an attractive couple named Jane Fonda and Robert Redford.

Were any of us ever that young?
0 Replies

dupre

I"ve always wanted to go to that Greek restaurant in Barefoot in the Park. What a good time they had!

And, I've wondered, too, about that building in Ghost Busters. I hope I get to see Gracie Mansion when we go. Does anyone know where that is?

Great movies. Thanks everyone.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 06:41 pm
Hold on, dupre! I think this is a great subject and we appreciate the thanks but I think there's more to come! Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 12 Jun, 2003 06:41 pm
"Breakfast at Tiffanys" Great pick, WH.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 12:13 am
Two hit musical comedies, each starring Barbra Streisand, put New York in a historical setting. "Hello, Dolly!" featured two characters named Barnaby and Cornelius who longed to get out of "hicktown" Yonkers and charm the ladies of Manhattan while wearing their "Sunday clothes."

Streisand was not as effective playing Dolly Levi as she was playing Fanny Brice in Funny Girl in a role created especially for her in the hit stage musical. Though Streisand was given the Best Actress Oscar for her role, she did not have much trouble executing this performance. Her defiant "Don't Rain on My Parade" was cleverly shot with Miss Streisand aboard a ferryboat with a long shot from the air which gave the viewer a sweeping view of New York.

One more Manhattan film, not related to the above, saw Michael Douglas cop a Best Actor Oscar in 1987 in a tale about the denizens of one of the city's best-known streets, Wall Street.
0 Replies

nextone

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 04:01 am
Love With A Proper Stranger Natalie Wood and Steve McQueen Great shot outside of Macy's.

Moscow on the Hudson Robin Williams seeking assylum in Bloomingdale's.

The Little Fugitive Terrific B+W of Coney Island.

And don't forget King Kong!
0 Replies