Chat room

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 12:41 pm
Why do we have a chat room on A2K,and why is it never used?
Every time I log on,the room is empty. Are people afraid to use it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,618 • Replies: 82
No top replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Wed 11 Jun, 2003 06:00 pm
I've had a few nice chats there. Either I have just gone in and someone else heads in too, or sometimes someone puts up a question inviting others in there and I have gone in then.
Definitely worth a shot, but you have to stay in there for a while waiting for others to visit!
0 Replies

husker

Been there done that a bunch of times - almost as good as a gathering in a cyber type of way.
0 Replies

Montana

I've had some nice chats in there myself.
0 Replies

Rae

I am the Queen of the A2K chatroom, mysteryman! One of these days, I'll get an award for it, I'm sure.

Just make a new post that you're there.....you're bound to have some visitors. That's all I've ever done. And I've 'met' some lovely people.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 08:28 pm
So, where is mysteryman? I'm in the chatroom, sir.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 13 Jun, 2003 10:10 pm
There is an art chat every sunday for about two hours, starting at 8 pm new york time.....
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2003 07:42 pm
Anybody home???????????????????
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 06:48 pm
Another Saturday night and I ain't got nobody......
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:56 am
A couple of times I checked the chatroom, All that it says is how many people are in the chatroom, not the names of the people. I would feel a lot more comfortable if I knew who was in the room.

I would hate to break in on a conversation with a few people who know each other well, if I really did not know the people. Then I would feel worse, if I felt uncomfortable, and just cut out on them.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 07:31 am
Phoenix, you should feel free to enter at any time! If anyone wanted to converse privately, pm-ing is the way to go - I'd say that chatrooms are basically free for alls where all should be welcome, any time! Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:56 am
I understand Phoenix's reluctance very well. I've thought about entering when I've seen there were a couple of bodies there, but didn't since I didn't want to interrupt if there was a serious discussion going on.

I 'know' what thinkzinc is saying, but i'm still a chicken. cluck cluck cluck.

You should see what I go through when I have to call people on a personal level - they might be eating, they might be trying to get the baby to sleep, they might be getting ready to go out, ohhhhhh, they're probably asleep now. :: sigh ::
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 10:21 am
I have become addicted to chatting. I've only just started. It is a hoot. I wish people would just pop in. I've 'met' people there, who I haven't seemed to have much in common with on the main boards. Had some hilarious, intriguing, informative convos--

As well as sitting there with four people, who simultaneously suffer from brain drain. We pretty much said all that can be said about duct tape...
a dysaster. Dysturbing. Dysheartening.

Had six people talking at once, one time. A few different, rapid convos at once... I knew my ADD would come in handy sometime.

I feel, too, that it is a free-for-all pot luck. You nevah know who you gonna get, and that's half the fun.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 10:24 am
Gosh, I can relate to what you are saying about phone calls, ehBeth; I spend half my life trying to figure out the best time to call folks, which is daft of me really because if my timing was so terrible, they could; a) Not answer or b)Answer and ask me to phone another time! Doesn't stop me worrying, lol!
But seriously, I have never witnessed a 'serious discussion' in the chatroom here, but if there were one, all the better to get input from Phoenix and ehBeth, I say! Smile
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:35 pm
Well, we do have topics and links about the topic for the art chats; the topics are for a month of ...Sundays, 8-10pm nytime, and are listed as a feature in the Art Forum. Sometimes the artists do get going and do cover the topic, and the conversation does get at least semiserious. Much of the time it is just on catching up with how we are. The chats have actually lasted the expected two hours as art group chats. And the space has been quiet other times.

Sometimes people check in, don't say anything, and disappear. (Sometimes we who are in the room disappear, as we tend to get chucked out of the room for some reason.)
Other times they just listen and then pipe in.
Once in a while the artists will be talking about the subject at hand and someone will ask a nonrelated question and it won't get answered right away.
Other times, as Sophia says, several conversations happen at once.

Two of us artist types got talking with a new guy all about GMO's...genetic modification, for quite a while a couple of weeks ago.
We're happy and open to talk with all, once we've got our advertised subject covered..and sometimes we don't talk about that at all.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:39 pm
Oh, I just remembered that there is an announcement in General Forum for scheduling chats...which reminds me that I didn't list June's topic there - Joanne usually does that.)
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 04:21 pm
It's July 4th. I'm sunburned. In pain. And bored. Embarrassed
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 4 Jul, 2003 06:35 pm
Gonna try it again.....but sleepiness and a very bad sunburn won't keep me there long.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:41 pm
I dunno.....think I feel a little chatty.....
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Fri 11 Jul, 2003 04:57 pm
I've thought about going there, but I have too many interruptions. That's why the general boards are great. I mostly post on the hit and run subjects like games. I'm just starting to get braver and express my opinon every once in a while. Just an aside, I've noticed several members refer to their ADD. I find at amusing. Very telling about the kind of people that come here. (I can joke, because I am one of them!).
ADDers are generally intellegent and creative, I must ADD. Laughing
0 Replies