RexRed

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 10:59 am
neologist wrote:
Yeah, Cyr. It's all your fault. Rolling Eyes

Is it?
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:03 am
Others could have helped to quell the situation too.

We can't expect everyone (sometimes anyone) to have reasonable standards I guess.

But I am at home in solitude. Remember, I do have God for this purpose and times like these. That is sufficient for me personally.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 11:20 am
Rex

Sorry you had to go through that.

Quote:
So if you were really a good moderator for you own threads you would have told Jason to stop insulting the people interested in your thread. Namely me at this point...

But instead you just sat by and watched.

No, I didn't. I was stuck in a place with no internet access and a strong dose of the flu. Still, I feel more sorry for you :wink:

Anyways, I didn't even have to look beyone the names of the participants to get the idea of what's up here. I don't think JP means anything by it. It's just his style. Maybe he can't help it.

But as to the god puzzle. There seems to be vast similarities between the mystical elements of all religions. I am curious to see if an attempt to unify all of the mystical concepts will yield something useful.

Thing is, it's hard to talk about god, because no one knows exactly what he's talking about. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 12:50 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Rex

Sorry you had to go through that.

Quote:
So if you were really a good moderator for you own threads you would have told Jason to stop insulting the people interested in your thread. Namely me at this point...

But instead you just sat by and watched.

No, I didn't. I was stuck in a place with no internet access and a strong dose of the flu. Still, I feel more sorry for you :wink:

Anyways, I didn't even have to look beyone the names of the participants to get the idea of what's up here. I don't think JP means anything by it. It's just his style. Maybe he can't help it.

But as to the god puzzle. There seems to be vast similarities between the mystical elements of all religions. I am curious to see if an attempt to unify all of the mystical concepts will yield something useful.

Thing is, it's hard to talk about god, because no one knows exactly what he's talking about. Smile

Hope you feel better from the flu... sorry if I made assumptions.

Sorry if I trampled on your thread.

Pure truth is not exclusive to any one religion at this time in history. Religion may not be the correct vehicle to deliver truth.

It has become time to start gathering these various truths into one system of belief.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 06:10 pm
I agree Rex. But modern science has offered up enough horrors to let us know that it cannot be our vessel of truth. Besides, science only deals with the how, and it is the why that is interesting.

Any one religion is also clearly inadequate. So I'm thinking, what about ALL religions.
So I'm trying to devise one system of belief that doesn't contradict any other system of belief.

This starts simply with taking the entire universe and viewing it as a singularity, then calling this singularity alive and naming it God. So far there's no contradiction.

But then comes the hard part.... just wait and see.. Smile
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 06:12 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I agree Rex. But modern science has offered up enough horrors to let us know that it cannot be our vessel of truth. Besides, science only deals with the how, and it is the why that is interesting.

Any one religion is also clearly inadequate. So I'm thinking, what about ALL religions.
So I'm trying to devise one system of belief that doesn't contradict any other system of belief.

This starts simply with taking the entire universe and viewing it as a singularity, then calling this singularity alive and naming it God. So far there's no contradiction.

But then comes the hard part.... just wait and see.. Smile

You have my attention... :wink:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 06:21 pm
Well, we can just look at what the bible ,for instance, says about God.

Omnipotence. Free will/determinism.. All these riddles that we crack our teeth on surface almost immediately. I'm bringing it up now because I don't want to wait for neo. Smile

With a little pondering we quickly realize that in a concept such as the one we've established, the notion of free will/determinism no longer applies. We see that this set of dualistic counterparts only serve to explain aspects of this singularity's inner workings. But the singularity trancends the concepts.

Most people believe that omnipotence requires consiousness. It doesn't neccesarily. The God I'm proposing is omnipotent in the sense that all potency and initiative is to be found within it. Same with all knowledge and all places. There is nothing outside this God, by definition.

But what implications does such a singularity have to our everyday lives. Can this singularity be a God that humans can have a personal relationship to? I think so...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 06:26 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Well, we can just look at what the bible ,for instance, says about God.

Omnipotence. Free will/determinism.. All these riddles that we crack our teeth on surface almost immediately. I'm bringing it up now because I don't want to wait for neo. Smile

With a little pondering we quickly realize that in a concept such as the one we've established, the notion of free will/determinism no longer applies. We see that this set of dualistic counterparts only serve to explain aspects of this singularity's inner workings. But the singularity trancends the concepts.

Most people believe that omnipotence requires consiousness. It doesn't neccesarily. The God I'm proposing is omnipotent in the sense that all potency and initiative is to be found within it. Same with all knowledge and all places. There is nothing outside this God, by definition.

But what implications does such a singularity have to our everyday lives. Can this singularity be a God that humans can have a personal relationship to? I think so...

You are definitely on the right track.

I think only the part where God seems to not know things... that is slippery territory.

Like a fish pond, God is above the surface of the water in intelligence.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 06:41 pm
I think the trick is to "think away" our human aspect of reality.

Quote:
I think only the part where God seems to not know things... that is slippery territory.

Like a fish pond, God it above the surface of the water in intelligence.

God is the fish pond, the surface, the water and intelligence. Even science relies on God. Science is the study of God. In order for a scientist to know anything about atoms, there needs to be atoms for him to study. Now where do atoms come from? God. They are microscopic parts of the singularity we're calling God.

One objection Neo had to all this was suffering. Why does God allow suffering? But it is a misconception to think in terms of an interventionist God. Whatever we have to work with is what is given us, by God, and we must accept that suffering and pleasure are both the same gift, only it is seen from different sides.

Humans have a tendency to be inconsistent in their line of reasoning. When something goes according to plan they are pleased to take the credit for the way things turned out. When things don't go so well, they are not as willing to assume responsibility. Then there's so many other things to blame. It is the same impulse that causes us to look up in incredulity whenever we encounter suffering.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Tue 17 Oct, 2006 07:02 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
I think the trick is to "think away" our human aspect of reality.

Quote:

Like a fish pond, God it above the surface of the water in intelligence.

God is the fish pond, the surface, the water and intelligence. Even science relies on God. Science is the study of God. In order for a scientist to know anything about atoms, there needs to be atoms for him to study. Now where do atoms come from? God. They are microscopic parts of the singularity we're calling God.

One objection Neo had to all this was suffering. Why does God allow suffering? But it is a misconception to think in terms of an interventionist God. Whatever we have to work with is what is given us, by God, and we must accept that suffering and pleasure are both the same gift, only it is seen from different sides.

Humans have a tendency to be inconsistent in their line of reasoning. When something goes according to plan they are pleased to take the credit for the way things turned out. When things don't go so well, they are not as willing to assume responsibility. Then there's so many other things to blame. It is the same impulse that causes us to look up in incredulity whenever we encounter suffering.

Suffering and bliss are not the same thing.

Suffering is a parasite on bliss.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 04:11 am
Or perhaps the other way around...

Suffering and bliss are dualistic counterpoints. How can one know what's good if he doesnt' know what's bad?

Also, a lot of suffering comes from the pursuit of what is percieved as good. The heroin addict lives in a hell of cravings and needs, but his journey into this pit was blissful. He was pursuing the good feeling.

Buddhists claim that all suffering is a result of our forgetting the true nature of the world and humans, and that the only way to end suffering is to realize the truth.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 04:38 am
as we are on the tpoic of pleasure and pain, i can't help myself to bring up the theology of utilitarianism. jezzy bentham was quite a selfish man wasn't he? all we had to do to be morally good was to be happy. but to successfully rob a bank would be pleasing, yet it is wrong.
j.s. mill then updated the theory so that it was the greatest happiness for the greatest number of people, he also switched the focus from the quantity of the pleasure to the quality of the pleasure. higher pleasures were/are the ones that stimulate the mind (such as discussing philosophy), and the lower pleasures were/are the physical ones (such as eating or sleeping).

but what about pleasure through pain? for example the supposed highlight of a womans life is to have a child. but she has to go through pain in order to have the pleasure of a baby. i think to judge what is right and wrong based on how the consequences make us feel is wrong. that's my opinion and no doubt some of you will disagree but for example, somebody who gets a kick out of killing would never in their own mind be guilty of anything, so would not regret anything, so would never accept rehabilitation.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:04 am
Rockpie

Your thoughts serve to highlight that there is no grounds to lay suffering at God's feet.

It is an entirely human affair.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 05:14 am
exactly.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 08:57 am
It is not a dichotomy if only one feeds off of the other?

2Co 6:14
Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 10:46 am
Rex wrote:
For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

The thing in common, the fellowship, is that they are dualistic counterparts of the same system. One needs the other to make sense. They are all within the singularity, God, and thus God trancends these notions.

God is the supreme wickedness and the supreme righteousness at the same time. It is the supreme light and the blackest darkness, also simultaneously.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 12:37 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Rex wrote:
For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?

The thing in common, the fellowship, is that they are dualistic counterparts of the same system. One needs the other to make sense. They are all within the singularity, God, and thus God trancends these notions.

God is the supreme wickedness and the supreme righteousness at the same time. It is the supreme light and the blackest darkness, also simultaneously.

So we have been taught, I propose that this is not the case.

Are you equating righteousness with wickedness?

Do you equate the sun with the moon?

The moon a tiny lifeless rock in the sky with the enormous power and life sustaining force of the sun?

The moon borrows it's light from the sun and is an imposter compared to the creative forces of the sun. The moon tricks the eye with proximity but should one equate the moon with the sun? NO

There are fatal flaws with yin and yang.

The first one is equating evil with good...

Good has no need for evil as opposed to evil that borrows light from the sun. For no one would follow evil if it did not steal a portion of it's light from God.

1Jo 1:5
This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all.

Comment: Not even a spot. (as in yin/yang)
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 01:37 pm
Rex

Righteousness and wickedness are perspectives, no more.

Good and evil are perspectives. We know this.

Good and evil are not supreme values that stand ever firm. They are fickle things like rainbows; what you see depends on where you stand.

Quote:
The moon a tiny lifeless rock in the sky with the enormous power and life sustaining force of the sun?

The moon is equally valuable in sustaining life on this planet as the sun. In that respect you can equate the sun and the moon even though their attributes are vastly different.

There are no flaws with yin and yang. Yin and yang are abstract ideas to help us explain dualism, which help us explain the inner workings of the singularity in question. In other words, God's metabolism.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 18 Oct, 2006 02:28 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Rex

Righteousness and wickedness are perspectives, no more.

Good and evil are perspectives. We know this.

Good and evil are not supreme values that stand ever firm. They are fickle things like rainbows; what you see depends on where you stand.

Quote:

The moon is equally valuable in sustaining life on this planet as the sun. In that respect you can equate the sun and the moon even though their attributes are vastly different.

There are no flaws with yin and yang. Yin and yang are abstract ideas to help us explain dualism, which help us explain the inner workings of the singularity in question. In other words, God's metabolism.

The moon is a sibling of the sun that has become lifeless and barron. The moon is a speck of dust compared to the sun. People take an illusion and magnify it above the truth, yet it is still an illusion and when one reaches out to obtain the illusion, it disappears.

To equate what is seen with what is unseen is simply another part of the illusion.
0 Replies