You're either with me or against me: the 3/4 cup

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:15 pm
I want to buy measuring cups that include not just the 1/3, 1/4, 1/2 and 1 cups size. I want a 3/4 cup and I want it now.

Don't even tell me that I can use the 1/2 cup plus the 1/4 cup. I know that. I want a 3/4 cup, damnit.

If you're a baker you probably want one too.

Bakers of the world unite!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,825 • Replies: 40
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:24 pm
Here you go.

http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000064840.01-AH41BC3G7NDFM._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V65262829_.jpg
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:30 pm
Dang!

I gotta get me some of those.

I tried to follow the link and got this....

Quote:

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Go to Amazon.com's Home Page
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:42 pm
I want one, too!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:44 pm
I have, still packed, a set of measuring cups with one of them a 3/4th cup.
Since I don't know just which box, I bought a new plastic set at the grocery store. No 3/4th cup!!

Hey, check out, if you can stand it the push-pull of new needs you didn't know you needed, a local shop with kitchen ware. We had a wonderful one in my last California town (forget the store name, it'll come to me after I submit this post). The place was down the street from where I worked. I managed to not buy much, always dealing with a slim bank account, but I liked the people, the atmosphere, and, especially, their expertise. They also had cooking classes, which I never took, since, well, you know, I could have taught some of them, and also the money business, for those I couldn't have taught. But, I did appreciate the store's being there, with some inexpensive goods, and fabulous expensive goods, and much in-between.

(I know you know to go online or to a store, boomer, just riffing here.)
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:46 pm
Here's a set that has a 3/4 cup measure.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:51 pm
Oh **** I forgot to add the link! Here it is.

And here's a pricier one Click.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:53 pm
I have a 3/4 cup measure, and I use it every day.

I'm with you boomer!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:54 pm
I'm probably being dense here, but as someone who had baked bread all of his adult life, i am amazed at this insistence on a 3/4 cup measure--just what, precisely, do you need one for?

Don't trust Intrepid's measuring cups--they're probably Imperial rather than U.S. Standard.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 06:59 pm
boomerang wrote:
Dang!

I gotta get me some of those.

I tried to follow the link and got this....

Quote:

Looking for something?
We're sorry. The Web address you entered is not a functioning page on our site

Go to Amazon.com's Home Page

This is the link for the first one HERE

This is another source for 3/4 cup HERE
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
I'm probably being dense here, but as someone who had baked bread all of his adult life, i am amazed at this insistence on a 3/4 cup measure--just what, precisely, do you need one for?

Don't trust Intrepid's measuring cups--they're probably Imperial rather than U.S. Standard.

Just to not trust something because it comes from Intrepid is a silly thing to do. Rolling Eyes

There was absolutely nothing constructive in your post. Someone was looking for help and you pooh pooh their need and desire... typical
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:05 pm
What a putz . . . Intrepid, you are in Canadia, n'est-ce pas? In Canadia, they sell measuring cups which measure in the Imperial scale, n'est-ce pas? Not every thing is about you personally, Bubba. The Imperial measuring system is 20% larger in volume measures than U.S. Standard. That means that every 5 ouces of volume Imperial equal 6 ounces volume U.S. Standard. An Imperial pint of 16 ounces is nearly 20 ounces U.S. Standard. A three-quarters cup measurement Imperial would be more than an ounce over the U.S. Standard version.

And that's all that was about.

Sheesh.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:06 pm
Despite that unnecessary nonsense, i'm still interested in knowing, Boom, why you want a 3/4 cup measure.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:10 pm
Wow! I'm such a recluse I had no idea that they made such things!

A 2/3 cup! Oh my. I think I'm going to order these.

It isn't really a big deal, Setanta, to have one but it seems like every recipe I use calls for 3/4 cups of something. It would just be easier to have a cup that size. It just seems really practical.

Especially for flour and things you have to spoon out instead of being able to scoop out.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:12 pm
Setanta wrote:
What a putz . . . Intrepid, you are in Canadia, n'est-ce pas? In Canadia, they sell measuring cups which measure in the Imperial scale, n'est-ce pas? Not every thing is about you personally, Bubba. The Imperial measuring system is 20% larger in volume measures than U.S. Standard. That means that every 5 ouces of volume Imperial equal 6 ounces volume U.S. Standard. An Imperial pint of 16 ounces is nearly 20 ounces U.S. Standard. A three-quarters cup measurement Imperial would be more than an ounce over the U.S. Standard version.

And that's all that was about.

Sheesh.

Call me what you will. I am intelligent enough to post an American source for an American poster. The fact that you think otherwise detracts from a positive approach.

Of course the Imperial cup is 20% larger. This however, has nothing to do with the information that I posted in an effort to be helpful to Boomerang.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:13 pm
Cool . . . i though maybe you were saying that there was a baking task which commonly called for three-quarters cup, and that you used it every day. I'm not bad at cakes, and do very well with bread, and make one hell of a pie crust--but i'm no big time baker, otherwise. With bread, about the only thing i formally measure is the yeast--and for that i use either packets or cakes.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:16 pm
Take a nerve pill, Intrepid, and go pester somebody in the Great White North who can't escape you. You're the one trashing the thread--i simply pointed out to Boomer that you might have been recommending Imperial measuring devices. There is nothing i've ever seen at this site, though, which would automatically make me assume that you're intelligent enough to do anything more complex than shoe-tying.

This thread has been trashed only by your silly and snotty paranoia.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:24 pm
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 1 Oct, 2006 07:28 pm
Waves to Intrepid, with whom I often disagree. Cheese it, what is the slap shot stuff? Measures may differ. Good to discuss that.

I've not so often seen a request for 2/3 cup, but like having one in my set and have used it.
Like having a stainless steel set, don't currently. 3/4ths seems to pop up in recipes all the time.

I'll add that I don't so much follow recipes, except for the first time cooking something, or when baking, when it does matter, though not always. That is, it doesn't always matter, and, further, I don't always follow the proportions anyway.. but it can matter.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 06:49 am
Setanta, behave yourself! leave Intrepid alone.

Toll House cookies call for 3/4 cup of brown and 3/4 cup of white suger. That's need enough.

Boomer and osso, I have a 2/3 cup measure. I never use it.
0 Replies