Wildclickers #74 - The "Tree from Hell??"

Stradee

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:25 pm
The colors are pretty amazing, also, Dan.

At first glance, I though the next photo depicted Fall leafs.

They're instead a zillion Monarchs gathered together during migration.

http://www.kidzone.ws/animals/monarchs.jpg

Another species of Butterfly that appears very similar to the Monarch, called the 'Viceroy' is also protected from predators.

http://www.ivyhall.district96.k12.il.us/4th/kkhp/1insects/bugpix/viceroyPJB.JPEG

The Monarch comparison photo...
http://www.kidzone.ws/animals/monarch.jpg
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:34 pm
Beautiful photos, Stradee. I had no idea either about their pumping up their wings with fluid from the abdomen. Fascinating. And I would not be able to distinquish the Monarch from the Viceroy. Thanks.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 06:42 pm
Set and I have been watching the Monarch stragglers at our last couple of Sunday picnics.

We saw a LOT of them during the early September vacation in Eastern Ontario.

Quote:
According to monarch butterfly watchers, the 2006 population is unusually large due to favourable weather conditions in the spring when the butterflies produced more offsprings in their northward trips. However, a prolonged period of drought in southern Oklahoma and Texas this summer may pose difficulties for the southbound butterflies, as the source of nectar from their favourite plants, such as milkweed, is in very short supply.

from The ZINC Projects
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 07:05 pm
sue, that is amazing! They are such a delicate species also - and yet they migrate thousands of miles, and survive! Just learned about the Viceroy Butterfly also. Interesting, huh.

ehBeth, what a great site! Adding to 'my favorites' for further info - and the image gallary colors spectacular!

A new camera added to my 'to buy' list. Smile

Checking the S.T.E.M links now. Thanks!
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 08:11 pm
Migrating Birds Take Hundreds of Daily Powernaps

By Ker Than
LiveScience Staff Writer
posted: 03 October 2006
07:51 am ET

To help make up for sleep lost during marathon night flights, migratory birds take hundreds of powernaps during the day, each lasting only a few seconds, a new study suggests.

Every autumn, Swainson's thrushes fly up to 3,000 miles from their breeding grounds in northern Canada and Alaska to winter in Central and South America. Come spring, the birds make the long trek back.

The birds fly mostly at night and often for long hours at a time, leaving little time for sleep.

To find out how the birds get through these tiresome periods, scientists observed caged thrushes for an entire year, recording when and how long they slept. They found that during autumn and spring, when the birds are normally migrating, they reverse their typical sleep patterns, staying awake at night and resting during day.

But instead of sleeping for long stretches at a time, the birds took several naps a day, each one lasting only 9 seconds on average.

The thrushes also mixed up their shut-eye sessions with two other forms of sleep. In one, called unilateral eye closure, or UEC, the birds rested one eye and one half of their brains while their other eye and brain hemisphere remained open and active, keeping them semi-alert to danger.

The birds also occasionally slipped into another state, one that any college student who has ever been stuck in a boring lecture can relate to. Called drowsiness, this state is characterized by a partial shutting of both eyes that still allows for some visual processing.

Drowsiness "is probably a state that, to some extent, grants the benefits of sleep while allowing for some of the benefits of wakefulness," said study team member Thomas Fuchs of Bowling Green State University in Ohio.

By alternating between naps, UEC and drowsiness, the thrushes and other migratory birds can reap some of the benefits of sleep while only marginally increasing their risks of being eaten, the scientists figure.

"In terms of quality, drowsiness and unihemispheric sleep may be less beneficial than [normal] sleep, but it may also be safer," Fuchs told LiveScience.

The study is detailed this month in the journal Animal Behavior.

Some scientists speculate that some birds might even be able to catch up on some forms of sleep while in flight, but this idea has yet to be fully tested.

The need for sleep is nearly universal in the animal kingdom, but scientists still aren't sure what purpose it serves. Some studies suggest we need sleep to organize the memories we amass during the day and to give our bodies time to rest, but both theories remain unproven.

"I think what's interesting about our findings is that even animals that should be highly adapted to sleep loss cannot go on indefinitely," Fuchs said. "That a need for sleep cannot be eliminated even in these species underscores the importance of sleep for many, if not all, animals."
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 06:45 am
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/images/graphics/monarch/lpb/LPB.Pelon011306_6832.jpg

This a tree in El Rosario Monarch Butterfly Sanctuary, Michoacan, Mexico- amazing.

If you follow this link you can read more about migration. Not only about this butterfly, but also about the Whooping Crane. ( This bird actually started my interest about nature- a still treasured book I got to my 8th birthday).
http://www.learner.org/jnorth/current.html
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:08 am
Gorgeous. Wouldn't you like a long skirt that looked like that?

Yes, I know the book you mean, and it was one of my first too. Well known author, the sand hill cranes of the midwest. Leopold?

I will check the link.
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:21 am
ul, spectacular photo!

Journey North articles an excellent resource! Thanks
0 Replies

danon5

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 09:22 am
Morning all, clicked

sumac, I think I'll pass on the dress bit....... Shocked :wink:

Stradee, If you are serious about the new camera - I suggest one of the new Image Stabilization models. I recently bought a Panasonic DMC-TZ1 which has built in Optical Image Stabilization AND 10 times Optical Zoom - a nice Leica Lense - Extended battery life AND a huge 2.75 inch LCD display screen. A really nice camera and the price is great too.

Great pictures everyone and interesting links...... Thanks
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 05:16 pm
Thanks Dan!

printed the info! Smile
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 06:03 pm
NYT's David Pogue, reporting in his column "Circuits" today about something he say at a small regional tech show:
* Canon has a full array of cameras, camcorders and printers on display. But the one that blew me away was a new slim, shirt-pocket model called the SD800 IS. (The IS stands for image-stabilized, meaning fewer blurry shots.)

I decided to try a couple of sample shots. I aimed at two people across the booth from me--and each person's face was outlined with a white square. Incredibly, the white squares MOVED on the screen as the people did--this camera was actually tracking their faces! (Canon says that it can track up to nine faces in a single scene.)

The main idea behind this face-recognition software is exposure calculations: If you're taking photos of people (hey--it could happen), you want the faces to be properly exposed, no matter how light or dark the surroundings.

This feature works particularly well with the flash. I took a flash photo of a guy about three feet away--a setup that, on most cameras, would bleach his face to nuclear white. But on the 800, the flash throttled itself back so much, you could barely tell that it was on. His face was perfectly exposed.

The face-recognition feature is offered by the new Digic 3 chip, which Canon will be rolling out across its camera line. The other advantage of this processor: it's fast. So fast, in fact, that the 800 offers the least shutter lag of any compact camera I've tested. I tried pointing it at something and suddenly mashing the shutter button without prefocusing. Boom--the picture was snapped, sharply in focus (as long as no flash was involved). This is big news."

"
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 5 Oct, 2006 07:48 pm
back from dance class ... clicked for me and devriesj

~~~~~~~~~~~~

You and your 299 friends have supported 2,595,119.7 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 132,065.8 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 299 friends have supported: (132,065.8)

American Prairie habitat supported: 56,462.7 square feet.
You have supported: (13,976.1)
Your 299 friends have supported: (42,486.6)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,406,591.2 square feet.
You have supported: (174,092.3)
Your 299 friends have supported: (2,232,498.9)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It's Canajun Thanksgiving weekend starting tomorrow afternoon - my anniversary with the WildClickers ... six years since I put up the clothesline.

<big smooooooooches to all the WildClickers>

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1598 59.571 acres
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 05:15 am
I LOVE drying clothes outside on the line. Always have. Won't use a dryer. I have been here for three years, and have never used it, and have never had one.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 07:43 am
Have a very happy Canajun Thanksgiving!!

Clothlines-
one of the most universal things I know-

rope skipping, Math lessons, swings, lassos for playing, towing kids on tricycles, ....... and for drying laundry.
I have learned in the villages of Styria that there is also an etiquette how to hang your laundry. Private items have to be hidden behind sheets.

Beautiful weather- looks we are out for a weekend hike to Schneeberg.

http://www.tiscover.at/at/images/RGN/479/RGN182979at/Schneebergansicht_ganz.jpg
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:19 am
Hope you have a grand weekend, Ul.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:24 am
http://www.livescience.com/animalworld/061005_ap_sealion_video.html

Go here for clickable link to streaming video.

Sea Lion Video is Streaming and Steaming

By Mary Pemberton
Associated Press
posted: 05 October 2006
10:05 am ET

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) - Just call this steamy video, not streaming video. On an island in the Gulf of Alaska, cameras are providing streaming video and sound of some of the most intimate moments in the lives of endangered Steller sea lions.

This time of year, the cameras are trained on mothers nursing their pups at the small rookery on Chiswell Island, 35 miles south of Seward. During late May through early July, researchers get a peek into the breeding behavior of the dominant bulls.

Fortunately, the sea lions aren't shy. They're oblivious to the camera that zooms in when something particularly interesting occurs.

"We see a lot of things that, of course, are very private. But, of course, we are dealing with animals here,'' said research associate John Maniscalco, in charge of the remote video monitoring project for the Alaska SeaLife Center in Seward. "Sea lions don't have any sense of modesty.''

While cameras have been trained on the sea lions since October 1998, the system was upgraded this fall to provide streaming video and sound on the Web at http://www.alaskasealife.org.

The sea lions weren't putting on much of a show Wednesday. Most appeared to be sleeping. One sea lion picked up his head and roared twice, before apparently going back to sleep. One pup played briefly with its mother before she returned to a state of deep relaxation.

Research technician Pamela Parker has been helping operate the cameras since the summer of 2001, documenting everything during 10-hour shifts from bulls copulating to females giving birth to pups occasionally dying.

"I don't really get tired of it,'' said Parker, who wrote her master's thesis on Steller sea lions. "I guess my thing is, it doesn't get boring when you know who everyone is.''

On Wednesday, the rookery was fairly packed, Parker said. She counted about 75 juveniles and adults and about 40 pups.

"Today is a really good day,'' she said.

Scientists hope a look into the private lives of Steller sea lions will help unravel the mystery of why numbers have declined so dramatically in southcentral and western Alaska, where the population is down about 70 percent since the mid-1970s.

According to the National Marine Fisheries Service, there are about 44,800 Steller sea lions in western Alaska. It looks like the population between 2000 and 2004 increased about 3 percent a year, an improvement over the declines in the 1980s and 1990s.

Steller sea lions were listed under the Endangered Species Act in April 1990.

The Steller sea lion population in eastern Alaska has fared better, with estimates of between 45,000 and 51,000 animals with numbers increasing 3 percent a year for the last 30 years.

While theories abound for why Steller sea lions in western Alaska took a dive, the reasons remain unclear. Some scientists believe it has to do with global warming and a change in the fish available for sea lions to eat. Others think it could be due to commercial fishing and competition for food. One popular theory is increased predation by killer whales.

"There are a lot of theories out there,'' Maniscalco said. "A lot of people agree right now it is a combination of things that caused the decline.''

Hopefully, the cameras will help scientists get a better understanding of reproduction rates, the quality of maternal care and the survivability of pups on Chiswell Island, Maniscalco said. For example, the cameras can reveal whether the mothers are easily finding enough to eat or having to spend a lot of time away from the rookery foraging for food, he said.

Sixty-two pups were born this year at Chiswell Island. That's about average.

The Web cam will remain on until the mothers and their pups slowly leave the rookery this fall and head for more protected haulouts in Prince William Sound and just inside Resurrection Bay for the winter.

"By the end of December, the island is pretty much vacant,'' Maniscalco said.

States Seek Lethal Sea Lion Removal
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:28 am
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 08:34 am
OCEAN SCIENCE: Shallow Chills
H. Jesse Smith

Observations show that the world oceans as a whole have been warming for the past 50 years. This result is an important confirmation of global warming inferences based on surface atmospheric temperature measurements, as the oceans have more than a thousand times the heat capacity of the atmosphere. The rise in ocean heat content has not been spatially or temporally uniform, however, and because most models do not reproduce such unforced variations, their origin remains an open question.

Lyman et al. have taken advantage of the rapidly expanding network of Argo autonomous profiling floats to present a global temperature data set for the upper 750 m of the world oceans. The study reveals a large cooling since 2003. These data also have implications beyond the pattern and extent of cooling. For instance, because it is unlikely that so much heat was transferred so quickly to the deeper ocean, the measurements indicate that a whole-ocean cooling has occurred, a phenom enon expected to induce a decrease in sea level due to thermal contraction of the water. Sea level rise has not slowed during the time period, however, suggesting that other factors such as increased rates of glacial melting are more than adequate to compensate for the thermal effect on volume. -- HJS

Geophys. Res. Lett. 33, L18604 (2006).
0 Replies

Stradee

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 09:10 am
Happy Holiday, ul!

(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((ehBeth)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Wildclickers, you are the best!!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 6 Oct, 2006 04:44 pm
aktbird57 - You and your 299 friends have supported 2,596,384.0 square feet!

Marine Wetlands habitat supported: 132,253.1 square feet.
You have supported: (0.0)
Your 299 friends have supported: (132,253.1)

American Prairie habitat supported: 56,509.5 square feet.
You have supported: (13,976.1)
Your 299 friends have supported: (42,533.4)

Rainforest habitat supported: 2,407,621.4 square feet.
You have supported: (174,092.3)
Your 299 friends have supported: (2,233,529.1)

~~~~~~~~~~

Beat the aktbird to his clicks today!

~~~~~~~~~

happy holidays
happy holidays

~~~~~~~~~~

It's supposed to be marvellously sunny this weekend. I'm planning to make club sandwiches for our Sunday morning beach picnic - easier and more portable than a turkey!

~~~~~~~~~~~

1 Aktbird57 .. 1599 59.605 acres
0 Replies