Miller

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 01:17 am
Quote:
Remove the egg from the carton and lay it on it's side the night before. This will allow the yolk to center itself.

Why must the yolk be centered? I've never heard this one, before.
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 01:23 am
I think placing an egg in cold water and then bringing it to a boil, letting it stand for 11 minutes removed from the heat, will be way hotter internally than a cold egg placed in boiling water and removed from heat.

The first egg has been preheated for the minutes needed to reach boiling point so to speak, so 11 minutes will probably finish hardening it.
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 01:26 am
If the hard boiled eggs are to be used for making devilled eggs then a centered yolk is desirable.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 06:23 am
NickFun wrote:
Eva wrote:
ILet stand for 11* minutes.

Cav did not say 11 minutes lightly. He was one of the world's great chefs. Not to say 15 mins won't work mind you.

I am sure he was right. But I don't use a lot of salt in my cooking, and no doubt that affects the cooking time.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 06:52 am
Now that the simmering/resting time is settled, why would you rinse them under cold water for 23 seconds? What happens at 30? Someone should do an experiment!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 08:24 am
Eva wrote:
NickFun wrote:
Eva wrote:
ILet stand for 11* minutes.

Cav did not say 11 minutes lightly. He was one of the world's great chefs. Not to say 15 mins won't work mind you.

I am sure he was right. But I don't use a lot of salt in my cooking, and no doubt that affects the cooking time.

The salt doesn't permeate the egg shell. It only affects the temp at which the water boils.
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Sat 30 Sep, 2006 01:13 pm
JPB wrote:
Now that the simmering/resting time is settled, why would you rinse them under cold water for 23 seconds? What happens at 30? Someone should do an experiment!

Well I chose 23 seconds as some years back I became aware humans functioned best when they had a specific target in mind.
To some a short time is 11 seconds while to others it may be 30 seconds.
Imagine a bloke who had 'Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder' or even 'Social Anxiety Disorder' and did not cool the egg for 23 seconds?
What would be the likely result besides burned fingers?
My guess is an increased level of his 'Road Rage Disorder' while driving to work.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 02:37 am
Thanks to you all I will now have to boil many eggs, to figure out what works best for me!

Before I'd throw it into warm water, bring it to the boil, leave it to boil for about 3 or 4 minutes, take it out.

Finished!
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 08:24 am
We seem to have finally exhausted this topic. Now I should start a thread about the best way to change a light bulb.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 09:59 am
How should one fry an egg?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 10:01 am
Miller you should start a new thread about that. This thread is strictly for boiling.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 2 Oct, 2006 10:05 am
Miller wrote:
How should one fry an egg?

After it's been boiled?
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:29 pm
When in doubt Google it...
Fry n' surf.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 4 Oct, 2006 10:59 pm
I come here to report that 15 minutes did not work for me. Far too much. Overdone. I threw eggs in ice water afterwords, but did they shrink and peal easily? Nooooo!!! They did not.

Back to square one for me. Bohme, if you find The Way, let me know.
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Sat 7 Oct, 2006 06:33 pm
Well we need more details. :wink:
As the original intention was to 'hard boil' eggs for a devilled egg recipe it was no surprise that they should be hard. However I did not specifically mention soft boiled eggs.

So dagmaraka, did you place the eggs in cold water, bring the pot to a boil and then remove from heat and close with a tight fitting lid for 15 minutes? (Not my recommended method incidentally).

Were you after soft boiled eggs?

Were the eggs at room temperature or refrigerated initially?

Did you tap the egg on the counter to crack the shell all over?

The more cracks the better.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 06:06 am
Boil an egg for 30 minutes? you could soft boil a housebrick in less than that Confused
0 Replies

zoofer

Reply Sun 29 Oct, 2006 12:51 pm
Kev ole pal
Nobody said to boil an egg for 30 minutes.

So as not to be bothered to read thread here is the procedure in a nutshell.

1. Boil a pot of water.
2. Remove pot from heat.
3. Place egg in water,
4. Apply close fitting lid to pot.
5. Wait 30 minutes.
6. Enjoy.
Very Happy
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 31 Oct, 2006 12:40 pm
All I've got to add is that if you plunge an egg into boiling water it will crack unless you poke a small hole in the large end first. Use a needle of the tip of a small knife.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 22 Dec, 2011 12:27 am
stop spamming the board
0 Replies