I'm a water softener dummy... please help!

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:55 pm
Hi,

We bought our first home after many years of renting and the house is on well & septic. We've never had to deal with well water or septic before so I'm a complete idiot when it comes to either.

We've got this water softener in the house...

http://homepage.mac.com/craigamiller/watersoftener.jpg

The house was built in late 1993 and this water softener was installed in Spring of 1994

Questions:

1. The original circa 1993 flyer for this "Rainsoft Amazon" system shows 3 blocks of salt in the container. The people we bought the house from said to use the Morton's System Saver pellets. And we've been doing so... is that okay?

2. The inside of the "Salt Storage Container" was dirty and the bottom was clumped up with salt so I decided to clean it out. Now that it's clean, How much water should be in the Salt Storage Container before I fill it back up with salt?

3. Doesn't the tank part suck out some salty water for use during regeneration? How does the water in the storage container get refilled? (by me or one of the lines going into it?) Is water something that I should add regularly?

Forgive my ignorance.. but when it comes to this I'm clueless.

Thanks,

Craig
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,664 • Replies: 5
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 04:29 am
Hey Craig,

That's an AM32T. You can use pellets, but you never want to have more than 2 bags in the tank at any time. This will help reduce clumping.
Manually put the softener into regeneration by turning the black knob and it will automatically put a measured amount of water into the salt tank.

HTH ~
0 Replies

canonelan2

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 08:09 am
Thanks for the reply!

So I'll add two bags of salt, 2 clicks to regenerate and it will fill with the necessary water.

So that thin black line puts water in as well as sucks salty water out?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:30 am
canonelan2 wrote:
Thanks for the reply!

So I'll add two bags of salt, 2 clicks to regenerate and it will fill with the necessary water.

So that thin black line puts water in as well as sucks salty water out?

Correct, and correct Very Happy
0 Replies

canonelan2

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 09:34 am
How long does a regeneration normally take from start to finish?
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 29 Sep, 2006 11:39 am
canonelan2 wrote:
How long does a regeneration normally take from start to finish?

8 cycles = about 80 minutes.
0 Replies