Preserving old paper

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:40 pm
In the last year we purchased an 89 year old one room schoolhouse. Very few alterations had been made to it and we have managed to undo most of them. The blackboards are still in place, along with pictures of the Queen and Prince Philip -- it's a gem. We discovered one desk still in one piece in an old outhouse buried under 40+ years of porcupine poop. After cleaning it up we found the old ink well in the desk top. It's the kind with a metal hinged lid hiding the glass well underneath -- and in the inkwell we found a small wad of folded up yellow lined note paper with a marked test (alas, no name). The paper is more than 40 years old and the writing is done with pencil so we're wondering how best to preserve it. Normally I would just think "acid free paper, frame" but there's writing on both sides of the paper. Is there any way to frame it between two pieces of glass that would still preserve the paper and not be horrendously expensive? Or any other suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,498 • Replies: 14
No top replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:48 pm
More importantly, what did you do with the porcupine poop?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:50 pm
(people must hate it when they see I'm the first one to answer their query)
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:52 pm
I raked it under the trees as fertilizer. Was this a bad idea? Will I suffer the wrath of a pissed off porcupine?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:52 pm
Re: Preserving old paper
Tai Chi wrote:
Is there any way to frame it between two pieces of glass that would still preserve the paper
Yes
Tai Chi wrote:
and not be horrendously expensive?
No

I suggest you sell the porcupine poop to Gus to pay for the framing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:54 pm
We do, Gus, we do.

[size=7]Actually I always start smiling before I've even seen what you said...[/size]

Tai Chi, this schoolhouse sounds so great. Any pictures?

As for double-sided glass frames, I have a couple that I use for some old prints (taken from a botanical survey book, 19th century), that weren't expensive, though I don't remember where I got them. Someplace boring like Bed Bath and Beyond.

I don't know how glass + paper interact, I think the main thing would be to keep it out of the sun.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:55 pm
I'm not sure of the effectiveness of the pocupine poop as fertilizer, given the age and break-down process.

Isn't there an expiration date on fertilizer, Green Witch?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 07:58 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
I'm not sure of the effectiveness of the pocupine poop as fertilizer, given the age and break-down process.

Unlike men, when it comes to compost - older is better.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:01 pm
Gus -- I may have an endless supply of fresh porcupine poop soon. He/she is attempting to move back in to the old outhouse. Okay by me as long as it stays out of our NEW outhouse.

Sozobe -- pictures exist...but I have to figure out how to post them Embarrassed

Green Witch -- Laughing
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:26 pm
Green Witch wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Unlike men, when it comes to compost - older is better.

I beg to differ, Green Witch. Let us suppose you dug up some Pharoah poop from an old pyramid. It would be as dry as dust and about as effective for stimulating plants as, well, old dried Pharoah poop.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:29 pm
Collectors of comic books buy plastic bags specially made for the purpose. They are acid free and store comics that are often as old as myself. Just search on comic books until you find a dealer offering them. Overstreet might offer some. They can be had in varying sizes. Put the paper in one of these before putting it between the glass.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:31 pm
I am guessing you need to keep glass away from being directly on the paper, but I ain't no archivist. I'm also not so sure you can count on ordinary paper of 40 years of age not having acid within the paper.

I'd photo it, and possible photocopy it onto archival paper.

Whistles, waits for an expert...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:34 pm
Exposing it to light continuously will probably make it fade.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:35 pm
http://loricase.com/faq.html
Here is another list of suggestions.

preservation and conservation of family documents and photographs is a topic which interests many who research genealogy. Not only do those sources often provide valuable research information, but most of us have documentsand photos that we know we should take proper care of, but we are not sure how.

In an effort to answer, "How do I?", I have compiled a list of some of the most frequently asked questions regarding preservation. A few of the questions and answers concern simple conservation procedures. Often when one has an item in need of treatment, the advice offered is take it to a conservator. However, in all honesty, the majority of the time the item is not worth the expense nor the effort of professional treatment, and there are some simple techniques that you can try at home.

PLEASE BE ADVISED that any treatments you perform on an item, you do at your own risk. DO NOT attempt to treat or repair a valuable or very fragile item; in that case, do seek the services of a professional conservator.

1. I have several old letters and certificates that I want to preserve. What can I do?

The key to preserving your paper documents is to keep them in an acid-free, humidity-controlled environment. Your paper documents need protection from a variety of elements which contribute to their deterioration--namely: light, heat, humidity, acids in papers, plastics, and adhesives, other objects, pollutants, and pests.

You can store and preserve your paper documents in a few different ways. You can organize and file your documents in acid-free folders, and keep them in an acid-free box. Or you could place your documents in archivally safe plastic sleeves and keep them in an album or binder. Another popular alternative is to encapsulate a document between two sheets of polyester film.

Regardless of how you choose to store your documents, NEVER STORE THEM IN AN ATTIC OR BASEMENT. Extreme temperature and humidity changes cause rapid deterioration. Store your items in a room that is comfortable to you, with stable temperature and humidity.

2. Can I store my documents in those plastic protector sheets that fit 3-ring binders?

Plastic enclosures are safe for documents ONLY if they are made of polyester, polypropylene, or polyethylene. Other plastics are not chemically stable and will release damaging acids over time. Especially dangerous is PVC (polyvinylchloride) commonly found in store-bought" binders; it emits hydrochloric acid over time.

3. Is there any problem with putting more than one document in the same plastic sleeve?

No, but documents should be interleaved with acid-free paper to prevent acid migration from one doument to another. Acid-free paper that is buffered will also counteract the formation of more acids in the future.

4. Is it okay to laminate a document?

Lamination is not considered a safe conservation technique because the process may potentially damage a document due to high heat and pressure during application. Moreover, the laminating materials themselves may be chemically unstable and contribute even more to the deterioration of the document. Lamination also violates a cardinal rule of conservation, and that is to only apply treatments that do not alter the item and which can be reversed.

5. I have some old newspapers that I would like to preserve. What's the best way to do it?

Since newspapers are made of highly acidic paper and deteriorate so quickly, you should always photocopy the information you want from them onto acid-free paper. You can then store the original paper in an acid-free box, or mount clippings in an archival scrapbook. Clippings could also be stored in acid-free file folders, interleaved with acid-free paper. If you want to frame the clipping, you should frame the acid-free copy rather than the original clipping.

6. What about the ink used in copiers and printers? Is there an archival ink that can be used as an alternative?

The inks used in photocopiers and printers are moderately durable. To date there is no alternative ink available for use in a copier or printer. It is a good rule of thumb to photocopy any document you wish to preserve onto acid-free paper. If you then keep the original and copy away from light, heat, humidity, etc. the document should last for several generations. Incidentally, there are archival inks for use on paper: Pigma ink comes in a pen, and Actinic ink comes bottled for use with a quill pen or in an ink pad.

7. I have an old wedding
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 08:53 pm
Thanks! These are some great suggestions.
0 Replies