Recipe Contest, Breakfast: Migas

JerryR

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:05 pm
( I know i can't win,..just submitting things for the book :wink: )

Migas
Migas originated in Spain. A shephard's dish, the recipe has evolved to include many different ingredients,..this is one of my favorite breakfast dishes. You may see recipes for a South American version of this dish, using tortilla crumbs rather than bread.

Serves 6

½ Cup coarse, fresh breadcrumbs (best if made from good peasant loaf, or French baguette)
1 tbls. minced garlic
½ Cup chopped mushrooms (I like crimini for this)
½ Cup chopped sweet red peppers
½ Cup chopped poblano peppers (poblanos are a semi-hot pepper)
½ Cup chopped red onion
½ Cup Chorizo Sausage, cubed
1 tsp. (or to taste, I like this spicy) Hot Spanish Smoked Paprika*,
Olive Oil for sauteeing
6 eggs
Butter for Toasting the breadcrumbs, and frying the eggs
Salt and pepper to taste

In a large saute pan, over medium heat, melt a tablespoon of butter. Add the breadcrumbs. Stir or toss until the crumbs are evenly buttered and turn lightly golden. Add the garlic, season with a bit of salt and pepper. Remove to a small bowl and set aside.

Wipe out the saute pan and return it to the stove. Over medium-high flame, heat a tablespoon of olive oil. Add the onions and chorizo, saute till the onions are translucent, and the sausage has begun to render its fat. Remove to a small bowl and set aside, saving a tablespoon of the chorizo flavored oil , for cooking the peppers. Return the saute pan to the heat, add th reserved oil. Over high heat, saute all of the peppers. When they start to soften, add the mushrooms. When the mushrooms are nearly tender, add the onions and chorizo. When this mixture has become quite hot, add the garlic crumbs and toss. Season with Salt, pepper and the hot, smoked paprika*.
Split the mixture evenly onto 6 plates. In a saute pan, over medium high heat, melt some butter and fry the eggs "over-easy". Top each plate with one of the eggs and serve.

* Spanish Smoked Paprika, more appropriately called "Pimenton de la Vera", is available Sweet, Bittersweet and Hot. Here's a link:

Pimenton de la Vera
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,761 • Replies: 1
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 17 Mar, 2006 12:35 pm
Mmmmm. Migas. Even better with fajitas....
0 Replies