The Hollywood Musical - Part III 1933, "42nd Street"

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 03:50 pm
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004TZRW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

1933 began with an adaptation of a story by Ben Hecht of the social issues caused by the Great Depression, "Hallelujah, I'm a Bum." With music and lyrics by Rodgers and Hart, the only standard to come out of the film was "You Are Too Beautiful." Hart's rhythmic dialogue introduced each song -- it almost a precusor to Stephen Sondheim.

The big hit was, of course, "42nd Street," which introduced the team of Ruby Keeler and Dick Powell. Choreography was by the great Busby Berkely. There is one marked change from the novel it was based on by Bradford Ropes. In the book, Julian Marsh is a wealthy homosexual who lives with juvenile lead Tommy Lawler (!) In the movie, Marsh is a chain-smoking loner who as been ruined by the stock market crash. The cast is a wonder, also including Warner Baxter as Marsh, Bebe Daniels, George Brent, Ginger Rogers, Una Merkel, Guy Kibee. The final production number with the moving set skyline of New York is a classic.

Over 30 musicals were released in 1933, among them "Gold Diggers of 1933" again with Keeler and Powell (and Ginger Rogers). Busby Berkeley makes an acting debut. This is the first musical to make references to the Great Depression adding a grim sequence entitled "Remember the Forgotten Man."

Then we first get a look at James Cagney as a song and dance man in "Footlight Parade," the first screen appearance of Fred Astaire in "Dancing Lady" where Joan Crawford shows of her dancing ability, "Roman Scandals" with Eddie Cantor and the first Astair/Rogers film "Flying Down to Rio." The Berkeley devised dance sequence on the wings of airplanes is still an incredible sequence.

1933 was capped of by Hearst's production "Going Hollywood" with Marion Davies (a la "Citizen Kane" promotion of his girf friend). With a score by Nacio Herb Brown and lyrics by Arthur Freed, sported some effective crooning by Bing Crosby who was one of Davies' favorites (but not Hearst's).
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,848 • Replies: 13
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:00 pm
Well, the only one I know in the poll is 42nd Street. :-D

Remember, you're going out there an unknown, but you're coming back a star!
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:21 pm
Lightwizard said, on the last poll:

"The Devil's Brother" is in the next part and "Hallelujah" should have been in the next poll (it's release was January 1933 and I've corrected the date to make this more chronologically accurate).

Again, I vote for "The Devil's Brother", best Laurel & Hardy full length film.
0 Replies

jeanbean

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 04:48 pm
This is the second time I have looked at the results of a poll, without actually voting. Question
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 05:06 pm
There's a limitation to the poll so I usually can't post all the movies of a year like 1933 so I'll add "The Devil's Brother." It's actually a comic operetta.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 07:31 am
Wow! Mr. Wizard. I didn't vote either, 'cause I only remember the funky song from 42nd Street, which was in a minor key, but I love reading all the info that you provide.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:30 am
Hi Lightwizard: I've seen 42nd Street, Dancing Lady and Flying Down to Rio on TCM. I love the finale of 42nd Street, but I voted for Flying Down to Rio because of the Vincent Youmans score (the last he wrote before retiring to Denver because of Tuberculosis). I love The Carioca, Orchids in the Moonlight and Flying Down to Rio. I also got a charge out of the gals dancing Rockette-style on the wings of the airplanes at the end of the movie. I read that Ginger Rogers got her role because Dorothy Jordan broke her RKO commitment to play in the movie when she decided that marrying the executive producer Merian C. Cooper was preferable to dancing the Carioca atop 7 white pianos with a relative unknown, Fred Astaire.

All I can remember about Dancing Lady is that Clark Gable performed a dance number, straw hat and cane (I hope I have that right), and that "Everything I Have is Yours" was in it.
"Dancing Lady" was Astaire's first film, but I'll be darned if I can find it on IMDb in the listing of Astaire's films. Did you notice that or am I missing something?
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 01:18 pm
Yay, LW, now we're getting to the musicals I know and love! I voted for 42nd Street because it's such a classic. Very Happy I love the big tap numbers.

I looked at IMDb, Raggedy. For some reason, they've created a separate list of films on Fred Astaire's page where he was billed as Himself. Keep scrolling down and you'll find Dancing Lady listed there.
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 03:19 pm
Thanks, Mac. I found it. Never thought to scroll down. Oh, I just saw that "You're Getting to be a Habit With Me" is from 42nd Street. And Shuffle Off to Buffalo, too.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 04:00 pm
A friend and I had our own Busby Berkely cult when we were in high school. We used to go into NYC and see his films, which always seemed to be in revival somewhere. I fell in love with Ruby Keeler--how could I not?

Thanks for evoking those memories, Lighwizard!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 10 Jun, 2003 08:19 pm
Ruby Keeler made the phrase "cute as a button" mean something, huh!

I was vacilating between "42nd Street" and "Flying Down to Rio," especially for the carioca number. It's hard to pick one over the other.
0 Replies

Miss Carrol

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:56 pm
Dear R,

Actually, the "Puttin' on the Ritz" number performed by Clark Gable was one of many bizarre little moments in the non-musical film "Idiot's Delight" (1939), also with Norma Shearer and Burgess Meredith. Clark doesn't do any singing or dancing in "Dancing Lady;" he plays a Warner Baxter-ish stage director who thinks Joan Crawford is a great dancer. I often enjoy Crawford's movies (and her acting's fine in this one), but how anyone ever could have thought Crawford was a dancer is beyond me. She even manages to drag down Fred Astaire, who was his incredibly gracious self and managed to keep his ability hidden during their numbers together!

Luckily he had already begun filming "Flying Down to Rio," dancing with Rogers, and sealing his movie future.

Miss C
0 Replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 06:37 pm
Miss C: Thank you so much for clarifying the Gable number for me. I remember now, but I had completely forgotten that it was "Puttin' on the Ritz". (I love that song)
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 08:18 pm
Reprised by Peter Boyle and Gene Wilder with hilarious results in "Young Frankenstein."

It's true, Miss Crawford looked like she was wearing clogs in the dance numbers with Astaire. Well, maybe winged clogs.
0 Replies