Spray-in expanding foam insulation?

BLKMGK

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 08:55 pm
Alright I'd heard of this but not ever considered it nor had opportunity. However I'm doing a new addition from scratch and spoke to a contractor who does this. It sounds like this will seal the construction up tight and I am told it can even be sprayed in the attic on the roof - that the attic will then be as comfortable as the rest of the house. It's supposed to be left sealed, no vents. There will be Tyvek wrap and styrofoam under the siding too. The windows will be as good as I can afford so I think this will be really quiet and effecient if I do it. I have a small under roof area I may do myself that has zero insulation now but the rest done by a pro if I do it.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Do's/Don'ts? Brands? Advice, comments?

This will be a second story addition, the lower half of the house is a second zone and not yet well sealed. I hope to do that later but since the walls aren't open it will be harder, the crawlspace might be easier once the old crappy batten is removed. The lower half has good windows but poor blown in paper that I'm quite sure has settled over the last 15++ years Shocked

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 558 • Replies: 4
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 06:57 am
The current issue of Popular Mechanics has an article on home insulation.
0 Replies

BLKMGK

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 08:13 am
Thank you! I will pick it up tonight Very Happy
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 09:43 am
BLKMGK
BLKMGK wrote:
Thank you! I will pick it up tonight Very Happy

Welcome to A2K, you came to the right place where friendly folks can answer your questions or lead you to sources that can help you.

Most TV home improvement shows use the expanding foam insulation. Seems to work good and is longer lasting than the blow-in type.

BBB

Info re expanding foam insulation:
http://www.powerhousetv.com/stellent2/groups/public/documents/pub/phtv_se_in_bu_000575.hcsp
0 Replies

BLKMGK

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 08:06 pm
Argh, forgot the Pop Mech on the way home. House being torn apart bigtime with holes in walls and floors! (lol) Animals freakin' out and all - the party has started. Tile guy over tomorrow, insulation guy on deck a little later and I'll get quotes from two of them. Will see how it compares to a 'glass only quote. I did get to see the blown-in in my walls since they've pulled some apart and it's in better shape than I expected. I'll do crawlspace only and leave the walls I think.
0 Replies