They also say "No good deed goes unpunished."
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 10:48 pm
@roger,
Uggh... I bet I get audited by the IRS for this particularly large deposit! Mad
Rockhead

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2010 11:21 pm
@tsarstepan,
I'm just always a little more wary of folks with oriental names.

the ninja odds are just so much greater than with a guy named Smith, or O'Donnell.

ya can't be too careful these days, ya know...
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 02:15 am
The old people say that it's been over 60 years since we had this much snow here, and such a cold winter.

A few days ago I was stuck with my car in the snow. I was digging for three hours without getting free, and in the end I had to call a towtruck to pull me free.

Shortly after, as I stopped the car and got out to do an errand, I noticed a man in a wheelchair stuck in the snow. He was a small figure far away in the oposite direction to where I was going, but it walked to him and helped him to get free.

Does that have anything less to do with the concept of karma than if it were to happen the other way around? If I'd seen the man and helped him before I got stuck, would I not have gotten stuck?
Maybe. Maybe the experience of helping that man get free would add to my experience, resulting in me deciding against trying the maneuver that got me stuck with my car.
Or I would not have helped him, since the experience of frustration and helplessness of being stuck wouldn't be fresh in my mind.
Eorl

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 08:32 am
@Cyracuz,
Also to be considered, your attitude towards the possibilty of karma and the influence that may have had on your actions.

This gets me to thinking that a belief in karma would make one more valuable to other beings (one might oversimplify that as "a better person") regardless of the existence or otherwise of any "real" karmic cause/effect relationship.

Hmmmmm
Cyracuz

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 12:08 pm
@Eorl,
Maybe.

I think that if you are a thief you worry about others taking your stuff, since it's what you would do to them if you had the chance. We all percieve situations differently based on what we emphasize in our personal experience. That in turn is decided by our overall intention, our previous conditioning and our general take on life. There is no good and bad in it, since that would imply an overall standard by which we would rate the quality of any experience. But I do not think there is such a thing. I think we have to assume that all experience is equal, at least until you have a specific goal in mind and seek out experience that enabels you to reach your goal.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2010 01:38 pm
@Arthur,
Lemme get back to u.
0 Replies

ashjoe

Reply Mon 19 Apr, 2010 04:38 am
yeah i believe in karma karma.this is sdefinitly true.all things that are occuring in around depends only karma.
0 Replies

tsarstepan

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:11 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Will this action lead to a transaction of good karma into my karma savings account? Not sure. What do you guys think?

Without a doubt, tsar!

Scored yourself a good number of brownie points there!

Very Happy

Maybe I earned a reputation for being a softie. In the past two weeks, I caught 7 mice. Tonight? The count was 4 which were caught in two separate no-kill mouse trips. Released tonight after I walked 2 blocks from where I live.

I will remain resolute and refrain from harming these very tiny mice.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2011 07:38 pm
@Arthur,
Arthur wrote:

My Karma story
Last Christmas Eve I was invited by one of my students to have dinner at a Japanese Restuarant. On the way to that diner, we saw a begger by the side of the pavement. I usually don't give anything to those beggers who just stand there without doing anything, but to those who actually sing, or play any kindda musical instrument, because at lease they are making some sort of efforts to earn the offerings. However, since that was the Christmas Eve, and according to the Christmas spirit, I thought we should offer something to the poor, so I, without any hesitation, gave that beggar five yuan. My student was laughing at me and teasing me, saying that I should give her the money. I smiled and shaked my head.

After the dinner, I said maybe we should ask for a receipt to try our luck! My student paid for the dinner and she insisted that we shouldn't. Despite her rejection, I asked the waitress to give me the receipt when my student was using the bathroom.

When the waitress came with the receipt later on, I scratched the 'lottery' part with a fork and I was stunned to find I actually hit the 'jackpot'. Guess how much I won?

Fifty! Fifty Yuan! My student sighed: "Now I know why people call you a lucky dog!"

I gave five yuan for the beggar and now I got 50 yuan in return.

I had a friend who told me a similar story. One day she helped a blind man to cross the street early in the morning, and in the afternoon she bought a lottery ticket and hit the Jackpot. She won 100 Yuan on that day.

Is that Karmar? I think that is what we often say one good turn deserves another.

This is not karma. What about those occasions when someone gave money and nothing happened as a result? What about those times someone never gives anything yet they keep winning things.

My opinion is that you are associating the two things and linking them together to say that the first caused the second. I say no it was only a coincidence and since you never link any of the times when things like this do not happen together. This is where superstition comes from and baseball players know it the best. They get in all kinds of these sorts of "karma" rituals to try and repeat their success but it never happens. Why? Because karma does not work in this way.

Karma means volitional action. Which means what you do has an effect. The only karma that is produced by giving someone money is that they received some money without having to do anything for it. That is where the karma ends. It doesn't just magically come back and give you back what you gave and then some. That is a farce.
0 Replies

lowshoe04

Reply Wed 10 Oct, 2012 05:49 pm
My mom used my car to go out one night. I had to work the next day in the am, so I told my mom to leave my keys under my seat. Woke, up the next day the Car was still there, but no keys. I was pissed what could of happened to my keys, mom had no idea. So, I get a ride to work uhh and a couple hours past trying not to think about my keys. Next, thing I know I am getting a call from are human resource office . All I hear is are you missing something this morning, No freaking way. Yep they had my keys someone who worked for the same company as me was out jogging that morning and found my set of keys on the side of the road. Where they found my keys was over 3 miles away from my house. Karma I am believer.
0 Replies