Do you believe in Karma? Tell me your stories

Arthur

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:31 am
Hi there,

Do you believe in Karma? Because I do.
Tell me some of your stories concerning Karma.

Arthur

dyslexia

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 05:45 am
This is the story of my Karman Ghia and I'm sticking with it;

http://home.hetnet.nl/~murp/image001.jpg
0 Replies

Arthur

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:22 am
Tell me your sotry
dyslexia wrote:
This is the story of my Karman Ghia and I'm sticking with it;

http://home.hetnet.nl/~murp/image001.jpg

Hi dyslexia

Thanx for the reply. Please tell me about your story
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:39 am
1500 cc, 4-speed gear box and minimal heat, no a/c.
0 Replies

Arthur

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:41 am
I didn't see the car last time
I didn't see that gorgeous car when I last replied.
Tell me something about the care eh?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:44 am
Re: I didn't see the car last time
Arthur wrote:
I didn't see that gorgeous car when I last replied.
Tell me something about the care eh?

I no longer possess the Karma Ghia, I am currently possessed by this Porsche;
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0WQDeAo4dvWuPo6pwRc3LonH9gCFQUtfDHd3XZeNh44Ez!L4vp87MYctaIBAAIT7PJK3xoTHjxgEMW6uN3aIWhkqocgTumbKXfMlId6fg8ClZTs30Kt**E0C2Hy3byEcI1TUe*4Nxv7o/911rightsideviewdriveway.jpg
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 06:48 am
Here's my car/ karma story...

We were financially strapped (when aren't we?) and I dropped off a bunch of baby clothes at a resale store, and got a not-huge but pretty good sum. Went home, realized that somehow between store and car the cash had disappeared... figured I dropped it. Rushed back to get it -- we were having a garage sale, too, and I was needed but it wasn't that far. Got there, asked at the store, searched the ground, nothing. Was really mad -- I'd gone to a fair amount of trouble with the whole thing, deciding what to sell, washing, folding nicely, bringing it there, etc., and did manage to get some badly-needed cash, and then, poof. Gone.

So was distracted and agitated when, as I was returning home empty-handed, a red car came speeding through the parking lot and t-boned me. (Smashed into the driver's door.) Totalled my car. (Except for temporarily shattered nerves, I was fine.)

Even with insurance, buying a new car was a little bit more money than I'd earned at the resale store. (Ahem.) The place where it happened was notoriously unsafe, and they changed it after my accident since it was only the latest in a series of accidents that happened there, and it's hard to know whether I would've been able to avoid it if I'd been less distracted. But it happened.

I keep the change that stayed in my pocket while the cash worked its way out somehow in a little frame as a reminder.
0 Replies

Arthur

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 07:22 am
My Karma story
Last Christmas Eve I was invited by one of my students to have dinner at a Japanese Restuarant. On the way to that diner, we saw a begger by the side of the pavement. I usually don't give anything to those beggers who just stand there without doing anything, but to those who actually sing, or play any kindda musical instrument, because at lease they are making some sort of efforts to earn the offerings. However, since that was the Christmas Eve, and according to the Christmas spirit, I thought we should offer something to the poor, so I, without any hesitation, gave that beggar five yuan. My student was laughing at me and teasing me, saying that I should give her the money. I smiled and shaked my head.

After the dinner, I said maybe we should ask for a receipt to try our luck! My student paid for the dinner and she insisted that we shouldn't. Despite her rejection, I asked the waitress to give me the receipt when my student was using the bathroom.

When the waitress came with the receipt later on, I scratched the 'lottery' part with a fork and I was stunned to find I actually hit the 'jackpot'. Guess how much I won?

Fifty! Fifty Yuan! My student sighed: "Now I know why people call you a lucky dog!"

I gave five yuan for the beggar and now I got 50 yuan in return.

I had a friend who told me a similar story. One day she helped a blind man to cross the street early in the morning, and in the afternoon she bought a lottery ticket and hit the Jackpot. She won 100 Yuan on that day.

Is that Karmar? I think that is what we often say one good turn deserves another.
AaTruly

Reply Fri 22 Sep, 2006 09:53 am
Do you believe in Karma? Tell me your stories
Might as well post this right now, because somebody is bound to do so eventually.

The common saying is:

"My Karma ran over my Dogma."
0 Replies

Arthur

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 05:18 am
Re: Do you believe in Karma? Tell me your stories
AaTruly wrote:
Might as well post this right now, because somebody is bound to do so eventually.

The common saying is:

"My Karma ran over my Dogma."

Hi AaTruly, thanx for the post, but will you pls forgive my poor English as to explain what that sentence means?
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:26 am
I believe in karma insofar as it applies to cause and effect.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Sat 23 Sep, 2006 09:59 am
I run late. Always. No exceptions. When I'm NOT late, it's usually an accident. So, I have to have a few excuses handy often. I came late to a training, and, since I bike everywhere, I offered that it was because I got a flat and had to change a tube on my wheel.
Training was long and exhausting, I could barely pedal back home. Halfway through I hear "shhhhhhhhhhh" - and there it goes. A flat. I had to change a tube on my wheel. Served me right.

I am trying to get better and not be late all the time, it's like alcoholism: I will always be an abstaining latecomer, it's a disease.
0 Replies

Arthur

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:07 pm
thanx
Thank you for your stories
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:12 pm
I cursed spomeone on the highway. Cape cod is a big beach and most people feel like you should be relaxed while there, including when you're in your car driving. I was passing someone, sort of slowly, but not being apest when someone driving a mercedes SUV tried to drive up my tail pipe. I finished passing and watched as the idiot sped away at about 30 miles over the speed limit. As he passed, I said, "I hope you get a speeding ticket!" (I have been trying to tone down the road rage). No less then 1 minute later, I saw them getting pointed at by two road-side state troopers and they pulled right over. I saw the whole thing, I never see that! Their karma, no doubt, not mine.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:41 pm
Doktor S wrote:

Likewise. I think it's a product of one's conscience. Christian-types call it the "holy spirit".
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 05:06 am
doktor S wrote:

If we say that our conscience is subject to cause and effect then I agree with the statement. Also, the cause may not be clear, and the effect even dimmer, but karma works on us regardless.

In the examples given in this thread I cannot say I'd call it karma. Just coincidence. I have a similar thing.

My girlfriend's mother had the bright idea of inviting my gf's ex over to celebrate christmas. The reason is that he's got no family and would otherwise probably spend christmas drinking alone. My gf is relentless on this. It will happen no matter what I say.
Now, while I can understand and appreciate the motives for this, I find it hard to deal with. There are issues with both the idea and how it was presented to me. There's been lots of arguing.
Yesterday I learned that my mother will be working on christmas eve, my father will be off shore on his rig, my brothers out of town. I'm alone for christmas. Karma, some say. Coincidence is more like it, although it has a karmic ring to it.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 07:34 am
God, I'm a dork. I was mixing up karma with "dharma", which I do think equates, roughly, with "holy spirit" (but that's another topic).

I agree with S and Cyracuz (I think).
Karma must be tied to one's conscience... some psychological cause and effect.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 07:45 am
my conscience can make bike tubes burst! i should put it to work more oftten, maybe i can train it to cause good things.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 10:50 am
Quote:
my conscience can make bike tubes burst!

I don't know about that, but bike tubes for instance, can do strange things to your conscience, and perhaps more importantly, to your consciousness.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Thu 28 Sep, 2006 01:17 pm
Dharma is usually translated as Law, and Karma is the equivalency between cause and effect.

In Buddhism we speak of the Three Jewels: The Buddha, The Dharma, and The Sanga. "Buddha" is a title meaning "Enlightened", or "Awakened". The term "Buddha" is used somewhat differently by different schools and sects of Buddhism, but that's for another time and place. "Dharma" can also be interpreted variously, but is generally taken to mean the Eight Fold Path and the Ultimate Reality of the Universe that underlies perceptual reality. Karma is a sub-set to Dharma. We sometimes hear folks talk about "good" and "bad" Karma; actually from a Buddhist perspective all Karma is "bad Karma" because it perpetuates duality and multiplicity, and illusion.

The Sanga is in its largest sense the Buddhist community around the world. In its most restrictive sense (Theravadan), the Sanga is the community of Monks who are striving to achieve for themselves Enlightenment.

Both of these concepts, Dharma and Karma, can be found in even the earliest Hindu writings, though their Hindu meanings are slightly different.
0 Replies