Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 06:16 am
echi wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Portion of what you are prepared to accept. You seem to think that anybody of faith is insecure and fearful. You make a big assumption that you certainly cannot backup and have no evidence or facts to support it.

No. I don't assume that anybody of faith is insecure OR fearful. I'm saying it's fear and insecurity that prepared them to accept their beliefs.

How do you separate the two? You cannot say one thing and mean another.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:13 am
Just a quick thought here. Christians will do things that you would think are un-Christian, not because they are Christians, but because they are people. Becoming a Christian does not make one perfect. It does not magically eliminate all the bad aspects of our nature. It simply brings us into a proper relationship with God and hopefully puts us on a path toward eliminating those qualities that are not God-like. Sadly, none of us will ever do so in this lifetime.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:26 am
Hey CoastalRat. Thanks for your input. I agree with what you are saying. I should probably cut christians the same slack I do everyone else. I guess I just have a hard time doing that because most "everyone else" doesn't seem to put on a facade of how perfect their life is, how "good" they are, how "spiritual" they are. I have met so many more "real" people that don't claim to be christians than I ever have of those who claim christianity.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 09:28 am
Excellent point, CoastalRat
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 10:01 am
Intrepid wrote:
echi wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
Portion of what you are prepared to accept. You seem to think that anybody of faith is insecure and fearful. You make a big assumption that you certainly cannot backup and have no evidence or facts to support it.

No. I don't assume that anybody of faith is insecure OR fearful. I'm saying it's fear and insecurity that prepared them to accept their beliefs.

What suggests to you that I have? I don't see it. Do you think that a religion must be true in order for someone to truly believe in it?
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:25 am
hephzibah wrote:
Hey CoastalRat. Thanks for your input. I agree with what you are saying. I should probably cut christians the same slack I do everyone else. I guess I just have a hard time doing that because most "everyone else" doesn't seem to put on a facade of how perfect their life is, how "good" they are, how "spiritual" they are. I have met so many more "real" people that don't claim to be christians than I ever have of those who claim christianity.

I think sometimes Christians fall into the trap of trying to seem as though they are perfect and spiritual and thinking they are "holier than thou", forgetting that we are indeed sinners, no better and no more loved than anybody else.

Many often forget that we are not perfect, just forgiven (as the saying goes).
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:43 am
echi wrote:
Intrepid wrote:
echi wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

What suggests to you that I have? I don't see it. Do you think that a religion must be true in order for someone to truly believe in it?

What you wrote suggests that to me. First you say that people of faith are insecure and fearful. Then, you say "no". Then you say it's fear and insecurity that prepared them to accept their beliefs. I am asking what is the difference and you don't see any.

Then, you leave that and ask if I think that a religion must be true in order for someone to truly believe it.

What are you talking about???? I suppose you mean that people can believe in religion if it is not true. What is not true, religion? You seem to have a strange way of getting across what you mean. It seems that either you don't know what you are talking about, or you do not know how to use the words to explain what you mean.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 11:49 am
The way I see it: all religions are based on 'blind faith'.
That means that all followers believe without asking questions.
There are no facts in any religion, just belief without questioning.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 12:21 pm
Intrepid--
I stated that insecurity (fear) is at the root of all religion. Then I stated that fear drives people to accept religious beliefs. I do not think that a religious person is necessarily consumed by fear. That's not a contradiction. That's the point of their religion.
echi wrote:
Do you think that a religion must be true in order for someone to truly believe in it?
Intrepid wrote:
What are you talking about???? I suppose you mean that people can believe in religion if it is not true. What is not true, religion? You seem to have a strange way of getting across what you mean. It seems that either you don't know what you are talking about, or you do not know how to use the words to explain what you mean.
People get religion because they are afraid, not because they seek the truth. That's all I was getting at.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 12:54 pm
echi wrote:
Intrepid--
I stated that insecurity (fear) is at the root of all religion. Then I stated that fear drives people to accept religious beliefs. I do not think that a religious person is necessarily consumed by fear. That's not a contradiction. That's the point of their religion.
echi wrote:
Do you think that a religion must be true in order for someone to truly believe in it?
Intrepid wrote:
People get religion because they are afraid, not because they seek the truth. That's all I was getting at.

Thanks for the followup. I do not agree. I was not, and am not, afraid of most anything. I do seek truth however. I do have religion.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Tue 19 Sep, 2006 01:30 pm
I'm sorry, Intrepid. Let's meet up later in the abortion thread and make out.
0 Replies