If there is a God, then where the hell is he?

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 10:12 pm
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,866 • Replies: 84
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:58 am
Welcome to the forum. Why do you want to know?
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 01:13 am
To say it with Anna's words: He is the center, but he's waiting outside the door, knocking and waiting to be let in!
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 06:53 am
Re: If there is a God, then where the hell is he?
A black man wrote:

I don't think that it's a valid argument against the existence of god.
Just because you can't see/perceive something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...
For example, scientists claim that there are more dimesions than just 4 (3 spatial and 1 time dimension) - they actually claim there there may be as many as 11. Now, we could say that this is BS because we can't see/percieve those extra dimensions, but the thing is that they've got equations to prove it. The fact is that human perceptions are very limited, and strictly relying on those is a bad idea if one wants to seek answers to complex questions.

I think that a more valid argument would be to say that the concept of god is something that relies on pure hearsay and imagination. Knowing that people can be dishonest, full of BS, and make stuff up, it would be safe to assume (at least for me) that religion/god is made up nonsense to satisfy one's need for perceived "greatness".

An even better argument would be that there are many different religions and that all of them claim to be 100% right. That's not possible...
So, if 99% of them are wrong, arent they all wrong? Not necessarily from a logical perspective, but most likely. If a liar tells you 99 lies in a row, you would be tempted to assume that the 100th statement is a lie as well...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:35 am
c_logic wrote:
A black man wrote:

Why do you assume that this member is arguing against the existence of god? That may be the case, but that is an assumption on your part, not something which "a black man" has stated.

Quote:
Just because you can't see/perceive something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

Nor does it mean that such a thing does exists. Just because you want to believe is no good reason for someone else to believe it.

Quote:
For example, scientists claim that there are more dimesions than just 4 (3 spatial and 1 time dimension) - they actually claim there there may be as many as 11. Now, we could say that this is BS because we can't see/percieve those extra dimensions, but the thing is that they've got equations to prove it. The fact is that human perceptions are very limited, and strictly relying on those is a bad idea if one wants to seek answers to complex questions.

No reputable scientist claims to "have equations" that prove any such thing. Even if that were the case (and that is not how science works), what equations do you have to prove that there is a god? By the way, asking where god is is not a complex question--in fact, it's a very simple one.

Quote:
I think that a more valid argument would be to say that the concept of god is something that relies on pure hearsay and imagination. Knowing that people can be dishonest, full of BS, and make stuff up, it would be safe to assume (at least for me) that religion/god is made up nonsense to satisfy one's need for perceived "greatness".

An even better argument would be that there are many different religions and that all of them claim to be 100% right. That's not possible...
So, if 99% of them are wrong, arent they all wrong? Not necessarily from a logical perspective, but most likely. If a liar tells you 99 lies in a row, you would be tempted to assume that the 100th statement is a lie as well...

This is a badly articulated version of Bertrand Russell's argument.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:59 am
c_logic wrote:
A black man wrote:

Are you claiming to be 100% right about your perspective here? So what makes you so different from any other people that we should believe what you just wrote isn't dishonest, full of BS, or made up? Maybe your perspective here relies on pure hearsay and imagination and is nothing more than made up nonsense to satisfy your need for perceived "greatness". Hmmmm....

A black man wrote:

Hi black man. Welcome to A2K. Are you asking this because you really want to know? Or are you asking to start an argument?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:07 am
Wherever the hell god is, is it safe to assume that god is not in Hell?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:10 am
He is waiting for evreything to go to **** and get to the very edge of the extinction of man so He can ride in on a white horse so everyone will know He's God.....I guess even God is not immune to showing off....
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:13 am
He's a prankster and has created a universe which precisely mimics one with no God.
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:23 am
Setanta wrote:
Wherever the hell god is, is it safe to assume that god is not in Hell?

Sure... why not? Tell me what you really think setanta. LOL
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:26 am
Setanta wrote:
c_logic wrote:
A black man wrote:

Why do you assume that this member is arguing against the existence of god? That may be the case, but that is an assumption on your part, not something which "a black man" has stated.

Well, there are a few assumptions I made as to what his intent might have been:
1. It looks like god doesn't exist.
2. Why doesn't god interfere/help us?
3. What is the shape/context of god?

I simply decided to answer the first one... if that's ok with you Set, of course... you know I wouldn't purposely do anything to upset you.

As things get clarified I can switch gears if I'm off topic.

Setanta wrote:
c_logic wrote:

Nor does it mean that such a thing does exists. Just because you want to believe is no good reason for someone else to believe it.

True, I never said otherwise. What I said is that the following argument is invalid from a logical perspective, which I'm sure you would agree:
"I can't see or perceive god, therefore god doesn't exist."

Setanta wrote:
No reputable scientist claims to "have equations" that prove any such thing. Even if that were the case (and that is not how science works), what equations do you have to prove that there is a god? By the way, asking where god is is not a complex question--in fact, it's a very simple one.

That's not true. So you're saying that equations like E=MC2 prove absolutely nothing? Of course, there are ways to study things by way of observation in science, but a lot is done with equations as well.
The newest theory is that universe consists of at least 11 dimensions - they have some equations that show it's possible but they're not confirmed yet. The fact, however, is that there have to be more than four dimensions, otherwise nothing would make much sense in physics.

Now, I'm not saying that one can prove or disprove the existence of god via equations. The point I was trying to make is the following:
If you went many years back and told people that there are, say, 6 dimensions in the universe, they would have told you you're an idiot because we can't see those "extra" dimensions.
We now know that there are more dimensions that we can perceive because there are equations to prove it, so saying that human perception is sufficient to prove things is wrong.

Setanta wrote:

This is a badly articulated version of Bertrand Russell's argument.

Ok, I assume you have a better articulated answer as to the nature of religion.
Please post, I'm eager to learn.

Setanta wrote:

Are you claiming to be 100% right about your perspective here? So what makes you so different from any other people that we should believe what you just wrote isn't dishonest, full of BS, or made up? Maybe your perspective here relies on pure hearsay and imagination and is nothing more than made up nonsense to satisfy your need for perceived "greatness". Hmmmm....

Not really, since my perspective relies on pure observation and no subjectivity.
Why don't you point out which part is subjective so I can clarify?
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:30 am
Why does God hold such a high status if he doesnt always do good?
Surely that just maks him 'normal'.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 09:50 am
c_logic wrote:
Well, there are a few assumptions I made as to what his intent might have been:

No ****.

Quote:
1. It looks like god doesn't exist.
2. Why doesn't god interfere/help us?
3. What is the shape/context of god?

However, in fact, all the member asked is where god is. Of course, you're free to make assumptions, but they don't qualify as responses to the initial post. In fact, the initial post looks like bait--which is to say, it is phrased in a manner to be the source of an argument.

Quote:
I simply decided to answer the first one... if that's ok with you Set, of course... you know I wouldn't purposely do anything to upset you.

Whether or not it's "OK" with me is irrelevant as well. I don't know the least thing about you, but i assume on the basis of my life's experience that people who are complete strangers to me cherish no particular desire to avoid upsetting me . . . so, at this point, i consider you a liar, and not a very clever one.

Quote:
True, I never said otherwise. What I said is that the following argument is invalid from a logical perspective, which I'm sure you would agree:
"I can't see or perceive god, therefore god doesn't exist."

I am baffled at the assurance with which you assume things about me--but it appears that you are fond of assumptions. It does happen that the statement is not logically founded, but, then, that was not what this member wrote. Once again, this is a "bait thread," the author is intent on picking a fight. Your assumptions may well be valid, but bascially constitute a "pearls before swine" exercise. Relax, sit back and enjoy the free entertainment.

Quote:
Quote:

That's not true.

Yes it is. Mathematics offers proofs--but science does not. Mathematical proofs are entirely self-referential to an intenally consistent, but artificial system. Mathematics don't exist in nature, but only in the minds of those who have created a means of partially describing the real world. Responsible science deals in probabilities and not proof.

Quote:
So you're saying that equations like E=MC2 prove absolutely nothing?

Here we go again with the King of Assumptions. No, the equation proves nothing--it does, however, approximate a description of physical reality. At any event, you alleged, without substantiation, that equations exist which "prove" that there are more dimensions than the three spatial and the temporal dimensions. That was an irresponsibly simplistic statement of how scientific hypotheses are constructed and function. What scientist have speculated is that there are more than four dimensions--no reputable scientist has claimed to have proven that, and certainly not by having written a mathematical equation.

Quote:
Of course, there are ways to study things by way of observation in science, but a lot is done with equations as well.

This constitutes another statement sufficiently vague and simplistic as to be meaningless.

Quote:
The newest theory is that universe consists of at least 11 dimensions - they have some equations that show it's possible but they're not confirmed yet. The fact, however, is that there have to be more than four dimensions, otherwise nothing would make much sense in physics.

And again, a statement sufficiently vague and simplistic as to be meaningless. Note the word "theory"--look it up if you've forgotten the definition. At least, however, you have arrived at the point at which you acknowledge that this assertion is not proven. It may be highly probable. Probability is not, however, proof, and science deals in probabilities and not proofs.

Quote:
Now, I'm not saying that one can prove or disprove the existence of god via equations. The point I was trying to make is the following:
If you went many years back and told people that there are, say, 6 dimensions in the universe, they would have told you you're an idiot because we can't see those "extra" dimensions.
We now know that there are more dimensions that we can perceive because there are equations to prove it, so saying that human perception is sufficient to prove things is wrong.

But now you're back-sliding--you're scientifically superstitious and an apostate. There is absolutely no proof that more than one dimension exists, no matter how great the probability may be reasonably asserted to be.

Get down to brass tacks here--this is a bait thread. It is an attempt to pick a fight. You're just spinning wool with this drivel--you're building castles in Spain.

It is, however, always valuable as free entertainment for the idle mind.

Quote:
Ok, I assume you have a better articulated answer as to the nature of religion.
Please post, I'm eager to learn.

Once again, you indulge in assumption. Since you are fond of logic, note that denying a proposition does not constitute a claim to have an alternate, correct proposition. I was simply pointed out that you had badly done what Russell did quite elegantly.

Quote:
Setanta wrote:

Not really, since my perspective relies on pure observation and no subjectivity.
Why don't you point out which part is subjective so I can clarify?

This is completely false, and you are a liar. You have attributed to me a quote from another member. I don't appreciate being lied about, and called upon to defend someone else's remarks.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 10:58 am
Setanta wrote:
This is completely false, and you are a liar. You have attributed to me a quote from another member. I don't appreciate being lied about, and called upon to defend someone else's remarks.

Wow!! Shocked Shocked Shocked
I think we might be having a bit of an attitude problem.
It's quite obvious that I had a little copy/paste issue when doing the quotes.
Nice work... when it comes to blowing things out of proportion.

Setanta wrote:

[...all that stuff above...]

You're a master at blowing things out of proportion and out of your ass.
If one didn't pay close attention to what you wrote, it would actually sound as if you know what are talking about - very confident, condescending, dismissive, and sarcastic. Makes it sound like you "conquered" my statements and bitch-slapped me a few times. Far from it, all you did is post irrelevant distractions.

Anyway, I'm quite puzzled as how you managed to turn my simple and straightforward statements completely upside down.

Here they are again, simple and straightforward, without any subjectivity on my part:
1. Just because you can't see/perceive something it doesn't mean it doesn't exist...
2. Religion is driven by hearsay and imagination. Hearsay and imagination are subject to BS.
3. Religions contradict each other, while at the same time they are all supposed to be 100% correct. That's impossible.

I wonder if anybody else would agree with any of those.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:18 pm
It blows nothing out of proportion to take notice that you have attributed someone else's post to me. In your post, it reads "Setanta Wrote." Since i did not write that, you could not have produced that by using the quote function. Therefore, you willfully typed my name into the quote code.

As for the rest of it--you have a wonderful ability to make unreasonable assumptions, simplistic, misleading and false statements, and to run with them.

Have a nice day, sucker.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 01:03 pm
Setanta wrote:
It blows nothing out of proportion to take notice that you have attributed someone else's post to me. In your post, it reads "Setanta Wrote." Since i did not write that, you could not have produced that by using the quote function. Therefore, you willfully typed my name into the quote code.

Come on, this is nonsense. I can't believe even someone like you would dwell on this for no good reason.
If you look closely, you'll notice that my quote structure is different and that I like to separate them cleanly - I quote things piece by piece - I copy and paste the opening and closing tags for each quote, and in this case I forgot to change the nickname from the one I originally copied.
Please... don't bring this up anymore.

Setanta wrote:
As for the rest of it--you have a wonderful ability to make unreasonable assumptions, simplistic, misleading and false statements, and to run with them.

Hey, I'm learning from the master, but I'm not there yet.
Writing Setanta nonsense takes a lot of practice and a long time to master.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 01:14 pm
Ok, let's try this again...

A black man wrote:

If god existed, and there being currently no evidence of his existence, one reasonable conclusion is that he may not want to interfere for whatever reason. After all, interference may contaminate the truth, and god supposedly is looking for the true nature of each human being - in order to reward or punish.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 01:26 pm
c_logic wrote:
Hey, I'm learning from the master, but I'm not there yet.
Writing Setanta nonsense takes a lot of practice and a long time to master.

1st off, welcome to a2k

2nd, set is one of the least nonsensical poster i've had the pleasure to read

just my two cents

and as for god, i think i heard he got killed a few years back in a drive by shooting in san bernadino..............wait a minute maybe that was jesus
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 01:38 pm
what makes you think if God wants to stay on the down low any of us would know where He is anyway?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 02:30 pm
Lets assume there is a God & he has infinite power over us & in fact over the entire universe. This is his planet. He designed it & put everything into place

It's said that Adam & Eve took possession of all knowledge from the apple they ate & thus used it for all manner of reasons. They broke the natural rules & subsequently people thru out the world were made too suffer from any number of serious deceases, perhaps some leading to death. No one is "FIREPROOF"

God dose not make/build the guns, planes, bombs or any other death dealing devices that are used in greater numbers day after day.
So if God sees someone shooting at & killing an endless number of people, it would seem to me that he's saying ----------------------------
"You lot screwed it up thru your greed & hate. The natural order of things has gone down the toilet."
If you take umbrage with someone for saying something & then smash their home up, where does the responsibility lie
Planet Earth deserves better. The evolutionists will dismiss any mention of an all singing, all dancing God as a load of bollox.
0 Replies