Looking for advice concerning new Windows for a new addition

BLKMGK

Reply Wed 13 Sep, 2006 09:26 pm
Found this place while considering a RainSoft system - heh! Anyway my question concerns windows. I'm about to have some new construction done to my home and I am goingto try and insulate the new additon VERY well. I already have good windows in the rest of my home but would like to try and do even better in the new upstairs.

I have gone around to the various home improvement places but not gotten much of a warm fuzzy. Anderson and Pella are sold there and talked up but not much solid info as to why one is much better than another. I know I want low E glass and I have a gas between the panes of my current windows that seems to work well.

Speaking to a coworker I was told about a company named EuroBuilt that made his windows and he raves abut them. These sound more along the lines of what I want - VERY strong, well sealed, blah blah. I'd like to try and find out more about this company or more about other companies that might make good windows over and above the normal stuff sold in the big stores.

All in all it looks like windows aren't going to be a major expense compared to the other work being done and since I'd like to think it will be done once and not again for a LONG time I'd like to try and not cut corners here.

So, who makes good windows and what should I be looking for in them? I'm in Virginia and not close to the ocean or anything. Gets too cold for my comfort in Winter but nowhere near as cold as other places Razz Gets plenty hot enough in Summer and at least a couple of these windows will be South facing with plenty of sun. Sizes will be pretty standard it looks like and at least one will have to be tempered.

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 697 • Replies: 9
No top replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 12:20 am
BBB
Welcome to A2K.

Lots of information re Eurobuilt windows.
http://www.eurobuilt.com/faq.html

BBB
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 06:20 am
Re: Looking for advice concerning new Windows for a new addi
BLKMGK wrote:
Found this place while considering a RainSoft system - heh!

Before I got involved with RainSoft I sold replacement windows and doors in Indiana Cool

Anyway, I checked out the link BumbleBeeBoogie posted and found my next windows... Eurobuilt.
0 Replies

BLKMGK

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 07:29 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Welcome to A2K.

Lots of information re Eurobuilt windows.
http://www.eurobuilt.com/faq.html

BBB

Yes, I've been all over their site. However I'd love to find others who have used their windows or recommendations for other competing windows. For instance I saw no mention of Low E glass or Argon in their FAQ. If you read their FAQ you will also find some mention as to how the glass is mounted and how it makes for an easy replacement - something I wouldn't expect to do if the window held an inert gas since charging it afterwards doesn't seem feasible. I spoke to the guy at work about this and he mentioned that his DOES have argon so that leaves me a little confused. <shrug>

These guys are also a fairly small company it seems and have a lead time for delivery that I'm going to have to check into. Work hasn't yet started on my construction so I've got time but this does concern me a bit since if the windows aren't here when needed things will get delayed and Winter weather is on it's way Sad This was SUPPOSED to have been a Spring construction but our architect was a "bit" slow.

H2O_Man - have read lots of your posts, glad you approve of these windows (lol). The coworker has told me that his installer was shocked at the weight of these windows and that they close like bank vaults. Reading over their site it does very much sound like they have paid a great deal of attention to sealing out the elements - they are rated for use near water too. I have some concerns as to window treatments that will allow them to open inwards and on how we would accommodate the the top opening feature. I have posed these questions to my guy via email so we'll see what he says. If I can swing it I'll try and have a look at them in person to help seal the deal. At this point I have no idea how much they cost but I hope it won't be a dealbreaker if I decide to go with them. It just seems like GOOD windows will be an investment is all.

FWIW, the guy I know has spent a great deal of time in Europe. He claims that these windows use European hardware and glass sourced over here. He went with them after seeing how well this kind of window worked overseas. He has also told me some pretty interesting stories about the efficient heating and cooling over there - hopefully some of that will make it over here too <shrug> The lower half of my home could be better insulated, I hope that the new top half will be MUCH better. Cool

Thanks guys!
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 08:14 am
Re: BBB
BLKMGK wrote:

H2O_Man - have read lots of your posts, glad you approve of these windows (lol).

FWIW, the guy I know has spent a great deal of time in Europe. He claims that these windows use European hardware and glass sourced over here. He went with them after seeing how well this kind of window worked overseas. He has also told me some pretty interesting stories about the efficient heating and cooling over there - hopefully some of that will make it over here too <shrug> The lower half of my home could be better insulated, I hope that the new top half will be MUCH better. Cool

Thanks guys!

Very Happy The windows I sold were an Americanized version of the Eurobuilt type window

Yes, the Euro's have been at it (efficient heating and cooling) way longer than the US.
I have seen these windows in person and they seal better than anything else on the market. If broken, the glass is replaced as a sealed unit.
Think of them as a thick wall you can open and shut as needed and see through...
Euro's also use out-swing prime doors that seal better than any standard prime door even with a storm door, plus they can't be kicked in.
0 Replies

BLKMGK

Reply Thu 14 Sep, 2006 04:58 pm
Okay, that makes MUCH more sense to me that these would allow replacement as a single pane! I recently saw a home show that described some of the appliances available in Europe at a tradeshow - yeah they are WAY ahead of us in effeciency!

Sounds like I really need to look into these in person and contact the company. So long as they don't blow me out too badly on schedule or price and the woman can figure out treatments I may go for it. I want to do this right and do it once!

Appreciate the insight!
0 Replies

leducred

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 01:36 pm
We had Pella windows come out to an estimate on our side room that is just screens right now( weird people who have a real room- not a sun room or a screened in porch or an addition- its a full room w/siding inside and screens in. wacked out peopel that owned this house prior to us)
it will cost $15k for 5 windows w/blinds in the windows -in a basic model- nothing fancy. With out the blinds it was $11,500. for basic double hung windows.

s Idea
0 Replies

BLKMGK

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 08:11 pm
I *may* actually be going with Pella to be honest. We looked at the Tilt/Turn style stuff at a local trade show here and the woman just wasn't liking it. The cost was coming in at nearly $700 a window for 32X60 inch windows and $1K shipping. Not yet gotten a Pella estimate but their turnaround time is half the other company, no shipping worries, and no shipping cost. Fingers crossed they aren't out in left field with their cost. We're doing triple panes with the shutters inside - their Designer series I think it was. Will report back the estimate!
0 Replies

leducred

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 06:36 am
hate to tell you but Pella is way out in left field. it will be way more than $700 per window.
it was $11500 for BASIC double hung NOTHING fancy windows. BIG BIG windows- bigger than Bay windows.

s
0 Replies

BLKMGK

Reply Tue 26 Sep, 2006 06:54 pm
Tthe windows we need aren't large, I've been given a reasonable ROUGH estimate so we'll see.

However talking to my contractor he's telling me he's had issues with Pella. If something goes wrong he says it's quite the PITA to get a fix in his experience. I trust this contractor and he's asked me to let us let him speak to a guy that he often uses about possibly an Anderson window. A neighbor of mine is also in the biz and said that yeah they almost never use Pella. They are also using Anderson as well as LOTS of Marvin - they only do high end work.

Kripes who the heck knows anymore! Buying a car is easier than this I swear....
0 Replies