Question About Power Cord

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 05:54 am
My laptop was on a tv tray charging in our living room and the tv tray was knocked over. My laptop fell with the tv tray. Confused It fell on it's side, the side with the AC Power cord plug in.

Two questions: Do you think everything is ok with my laptop? (From the fall?) It works fine....I was on it this morning and nothing seems off....just wondering if there are some internal things I should worry about.

AND

My power cord got bent (the metal tip that is inserted into the computer, not the part that goes into the wall). It still works fine. But is it safe to use?

Thanks!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 870 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 06:41 am
Let me start by saying that I used to work in the computer industry fixing computers. This is to let you know where I'm coming from with the advice.

The fact that laptop rebooted is verrry fortunate. From your message, it seems that you have these functions:
1. Power
2. Proper looking screen display
3. Keyboard control
3. All Files and Internet Access (files on your drive, applications and the logging on Internet)
4. All functions (sound, other devices that you had connected to before_

If the above is the condition of the laptop, then you should be ok. Rarely it happens but you could have DEVELOP an intermittent problem from a small crack in a circuit board that gets worse over time causing future problems. That's almost not worth mentioning, but is possible.

Laptops are far more delicate device than a floor-standing or tower or desktop computer. Certainly they are subject to possible damage from a fall like that. The damage that occurs (if it reboots again), often times, is the very expensive screen. I strongly suggest not using a tv tray for your laptop anymore. Instead, switch to something more stable to support it or else you risk permanent damage form the next fall.

FYI, the display screen is the most likely candidate to be affected as it has a thin membrane that is quite fragile and costs about 60% of most laptops pricing to replace.

Have no fear as the damage to your power cord seems minor and cosmetic in nature. If the cord was severed, you'd have no power. The metal tip (female connector end) of the power cord should make solid contact with the pins at the laptop's power connector (male end). Check to see that these male pins are not bent. If they're slightly bent, carefully and gently bend them back so they are straight with a small needle-nose pliers. If you don't have small pliers (most people don't), don't worry about this. If you have a problem connecting the power cord, this will be what I would do. Radio Shack sells small needle-nose pliers for a few dollars.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 06:44 am
Thanks...Everything seems to be in 100% working order. The screen is fine, I plugged my wireless mouse in and that works fine...internet, fine. I will definitly not be a bonehead and keep it there again.

Also, I think that when it fell, it stayed on the tv tray (which is wood) until only a few inches off the floor. (The feet on that computer don't slide) so maybe that helped.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 06:57 am
Lucky...this time
Sounds as though you're in good shape and very lucky.

I must tell you that the fact the laptop stayed on the tray 'til almost the end, was irrelevant. The speed and force that impacted it was still the same as it would have been. You dodged a bullet.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 07:00 am
Well, that's the first bit of good news I've had in a while so I guess I was due for some luck. I just hope I don't go home at lunch and it won't turn on. I should knock on some wood or something. Very Happy

Thanks!!!!
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 07:23 am
the damage
If it worked once there's a high probability it will work from now on.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:18 am
verdict?
what's the verdict?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:31 am
Everything is great.

I really got lucky, huh?

Thank god for small blessings.....

Thanks Ragman
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:57 am
you're welcome. Any time.

As fragile as they are, sometimes you get lucky.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 09:53 am
Laptops have a tendency to seem fine then they suddenly explode. Be afraid.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 10:17 am
You should drop it from increasing heights to find the failure point, then notify the manufacturer.
0 Replies