Cleaning keyboards....or "I have looked into the abyss...."

Swimpy

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 07:46 pm
Razz
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:11 pm
I had a really nice keyboard that I was quite attached to...was gunky to the max, so I decided to clean it. I took a picture of it with the digital camera, then completely disassembled the keyboard...each key came out fairly easily, dumped them all into a bowl of dishwashing liquid and water to soak, washed both half's of the board with soap and water. Washed each piece individually...gunk was stuck like a real muther, let it all dry...used the digital camera photo for reference and put it back together...took maybe an hour...drying time was the longest....and yes the spring clips are odd, but after close inspection...are not really all that bad to reinstall.

Then some children that are not related to me, but related to my wife...{in-laws, would be the proper address, but I usually refer to them as "Those Bastards"}....dumped a whole can of Coke-A-Fuc'N-Cola into the keyboard. Which I might have been able to save...but they continued to use the board...then when the computer finally failed...they tried restarting it over and over and over....

I loved that board....I also loved my computer....Zzzztttttttttt!!!!!!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:35 pm
2PacksAday wrote:
I had a really nice keyboard that I was quite attached to...was gunky to the max, so I decided to clean it. I took a picture of it with the digital camera, then completely disassembled the keyboard...each key came out fairly easily, dumped them all into a bowl of dishwashing liquid and water to soak, washed both half's of the board with soap and water. Washed each piece individually...gunk was stuck like a real muther, let it all dry...used the digital camera photo for reference and put it back together...took maybe an hour...drying time was the longest....and yes the spring clips are odd, but after close inspection...are not really all that bad to reinstall.

Then some children that are not related to me, but related to my wife...{in-laws, would be the proper address, but I usually refer to them as "Those Bastards"}....dumped a whole can of Coke-A-Fuc'N-Cola into the keyboard. Which I might have been able to save...but they continued to use the board...then when the computer finally failed...they tried restarting it over and over and over....

I loved that board....I also loved my computer....Zzzztttttttttt!!!!!!

Awwwww......hugs.

So..you'd be coming down on the side of throw it away?
0 Replies

2PacksAday

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:41 pm
Sorry, I got sidetracked...

After the cleaning it worked perfectly, and it was...maybe a year or longer until the Coke mishap.

Clean it, you're a smart bunny...I have faith.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 11:50 am
http://static.flickr.com/91/238493401_2ecfe0bb9b.jpg
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:40 pm
aaawwww how cute, edgar.

Is he peeing on the laptop? Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 12:42 pm
I would say he is.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 05:41 pm
Bastard!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 07:49 pm
We just had dinner with my best friends.

A couple of weeks ago, M.A. walked into her office and noticed a streak running down her monitor.

On closer examination, the streak led to evidence of cat vomit in the keyboard.

The lovely little Siamese Jasper, beloved by all, regularly sits on a towel on top of the monitor, and feeling unwell that afternoon ...

M.A. unplugged the keyboard, rinsed it under the tap til it was clean, left it upside down on a towel for three or four days to dry out, and plugged it back in.

She says all is well, but doesn't think she'd try taking the keyboard apart.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:17 pm
Cat urine in the monitor is worse....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:21 pm
ehBeth wrote:
We just had dinner with my best friends.

A couple of weeks ago, M.A. walked into her office and noticed a streak running down her monitor.

On closer examination, the streak led to evidence of cat vomit in the keyboard.

The lovely little Siamese Jasper, beloved by all, regularly sits on a towel on top of the monitor, and feeling unwell that afternoon ...

M.A. unplugged the keyboard, rinsed it under the tap til it was clean, left it upside down on a towel for three or four days to dry out, and plugged it back in.

She says all is well, but doesn't think she'd try taking the keyboard apart.

Well...that is what I wonderid in the beginning...if I could WASH the damn thing, once it was unplugged!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 05:07 pm
M.A.'s comments - (1) the guck has to still be liquid - entrenched solids won't (kinda obviously) rinse away - (2) she thought that a gentle hand wash with a wand sprayer was best

(what kinda dinner party is it when you're discussing cat vomit in the computer keyboard?)
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 06:17 am
First day back at work...
While I was away, my replacement changed the keys back...
How boring!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:29 pm
BUM!!!!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 26 Dec, 2007 11:47 pm
Bohne, you biting?
0 Replies

margo

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:10 am
tings a bit slow in da city of churches, Deb?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 Dec, 2007 01:56 am
margo wrote:
tings a bit slow in da city of churches, Deb?

Nope.

I was at work...and on duty, so I was stuck in a little room...only people seem to be too moribund to abuse their kids, so business was exceedingly slow.

Not that I am complaining!!!!

And patiodawg was around to tease and all.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 03:18 pm
Last night I spilled an entire glass of white wine into the keyboard. (Don't ask....and no, I wasn't inebriated).

I laid it upside down on a towel all night, to drip dry.

It appears to be working!!!!!!

- Even the hyphen!!!

I think my keyboards are suicidal....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 03:29 pm
dlowan wrote:
Last.night.I.spilled.an.entire.glass.of.white.wine.into.the.keyboard.(Don't.ask....and.no,I.wasn't.inebriated).

I.laid.it.upside.dowm.om.a.towel.all.might,to.drip.dry.

It.appears.to.be.workimg!!!!!!

.Evem.the.hyphem!!!

I.thimk.my.keyboards are suicidal....

I wonder how an upside down keyboard in Australia looks alike ...

... how did you force the keyboard to swallow the Aspirin, you said?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 20 Feb, 2008 03:33 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
dlowan wrote:
Last.night.I.spilled.an.entire.glass.of.white.wine.into.the.keyboard.(Don't.ask....and.no,I.wasn't.inebriated).

I.laid.it.upside.dowm.om.a.towel.all.might,to.drip.dry.

It.appears.to.be.workimg!!!!!!

.Evem.the.hyphem!!!

I.thimk.my.keyboards are suicidal....

I wonder how an upside down keyboard in Australia looks alike ...

... how did you force the keyboard to swallow the Aspirin, you said?

It is now right way up...thankee.

I did not attempt to give it any analgaesia.
0 Replies