Cleaning keyboards....or "I have looked into the abyss...."

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 05:28 pm
gooey keyboard users won't make it to heaven, regardless.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 07:53 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Is it really worth the time to devote four pages of space to the subject of cleaning keyboards?

You haven't seen my keyboard.

Noddy24 wrote:
Personally, I think scrutable people save other people a great deal of time and energy.

Come Judgement Day when all the Lost Positives are found, "Scrutable" will be right on top of to Heavenly Lexicon.

Everytime I hear someone announce, "I'm a very complex person," I interpret "I'm full of cherished inconsistancy."

The mind boggles.

I am scrutable, but complex.

CalamityJane wrote:
gooey keyboard users won't make it to heaven, regardless.

Somebody died and made you St Peter?

Harrumph!
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 07:53 pm
dlowan, Slappy is dead. Let us pray.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 08:41 pm
bunny, perfectly functional, if not fancy and function-laden, keyboards are cheap ... under #20 even in Australian dollars will get you something that will work just fine. Now, if you really just gotta clean that one, the only way to disolve gunk is with liquid, and the only liquid you wanna use is a zero-residue electronic parts cleaner a few bucks for a 5 or 6 ounce aerosol can at a good electronice parts vendor, online or brick & mortar. Once you have disconnected the keyboard from the 'puter and have gained access to the keyboard's innards, use canned compressed air, as recommended earlier, to blow away loose junk and crud, then liberally spary the keyboard's area of concern - best to do so while the area of concern is facing and parallel with the ground - upside down, in other words. A bit awkward, but it will minimize the opportunity for gunk to travel deeper into the keyboard. Anyhow, repeat the soaking spray a couple times over a period of a few minutes, then let the keyboard rest a couple hours or so to thoroughly dry before you reassemble it and hookit up. Eye protection and an absorbent work surface covering such as lotsa newspaper are prolly good ideas. speaking though personally here, lack of same wouldn't deter me a bit ... 'less Mrs Timber happened to notice it going on; even minor messiness tends to really set her off, specially if they're happening in the kitchen or dining room. I imagine that's a big parta why she pretty much doesn't go into my office or anywhere near my basement workbench..

Still, a new keyboard is prolly a better idea.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:42 pm
You got water restrictions down there, yet?

If not - stick it under the hose!
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:45 pm
dlowan wrote:

Harrumph!

Silly you, I'm practically God.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 10:05 pm
timberlandko wrote:
bunny, perfectly functional, if not fancy and function-laden, keyboards are cheap ... under #20 even in Australian dollars will get you something that will work just fine. Now, if you really just gotta clean that one, the only way to disolve gunk is with liquid, and the only liquid you wanna use is a zero-residue electronic parts cleaner a few bucks for a 5 or 6 ounce aerosol can at a good electronice parts vendor, online or brick & mortar. Once you have disconnected the keyboard from the 'puter and have gained access to the keyboard's innards, use canned compressed air, as recommended earlier, to blow away loose junk and crud, then liberally spary the keyboard's area of concern - best to do so while the area of concern is facing and parallel with the ground - upside down, in other words. A bit awkward, but it will minimize the opportunity for gunk to travel deeper into the keyboard. Anyhow, repeat the soaking spray a couple times over a period of a few minutes, then let the keyboard rest a couple hours or so to thoroughly dry before you reassemble it and hookit up. Eye protection and an absorbent work surface covering such as lotsa newspaper are prolly good ideas. speaking though personally here, lack of same wouldn't deter me a bit ... 'less Mrs Timber happened to notice it going on; even minor messiness tends to really set her off, specially if they're happening in the kitchen or dining room. I imagine that's a big parta why she pretty much doesn't go into my office or anywhere near my basement workbench..

Still, a new keyboard is prolly a better idea.

So...this stuff dissolves the crud? How does it then leave the keyboard? Does it kind of drip off while it is upside down?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 10:06 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Harrumph!

(I think she believes that)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 10:06 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
dlowan wrote:

Harrumph!

I think Craven is the only god or demi-god allowed around here.

Now you had better send him a shrubbery to appease him.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 10:44 pm
Does it dissolve mouse turds? Not kidding.

So, when I moved I sprung, while I had a bit of money for a bit of a bit, for a new Mac. This was perfect timing, as my mutltiple year old keyboard had been through the wars, never mind the computer itself. And in the wars, that last time - I forget when, say, august? - I'd had mice in the house and eventually vanquished them in sad electronic demise.

But, before I knew they were in the house, they ran themselves silly. Thus one day I saw a mouse turd in my keyboard.

Ok, I got rid of all that, mostly, but saved the keyboard, and even took it with me on the great packathon.

Meantime, with the new mac and the new keyboard, I'm drinking whatever. I usually keep drinks afar for obvious reasons, but...
let's say it was some nice cocoa that went flying.

So, now the new keyboard's space bar stuck. I suppose I should check if it works now. In the meantime, I'm using the old scummy keyboard....
the mouse turds below are by now possible to register as antiques.

ADVICE, unless somebody who knows better argues -

I've gotten to using a drafting brush, purchased for about nothing at an art supply store, to whack scales and puppy dogs tails off of the keys.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 12:36 am
dlowan wrote:
So...this stuff dissolves the crud?

Yup - that's its job.

Quote:
How does it then leave the keyboard?

Much cleaner than before. Might wanna test it on an inked surface - like the characters on the keys (though I've never had any problems) - but its safe for plastics. It can be pretty aggressive toward adhesives and decals, so keep that in mind if stickers or labels (other than etched & embedded key characters) are a concern.

Quote:
Does it kind of drip off while it is upside down?

Yup - that's the idea behind spraying it on while the keyboard is upside down.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 02:14 am
Every time I clean my keyboard, I put the keys back all mixed up (basically I am just too lazy to sort them into the right order)

Try it some time, it's hillarious watching other people try to type on your keyboard...
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 12:20 pm
Re: Cleaning keyboards....or "I have looked into the ab
dlowan wrote:
And why does the shift key have that wire thingy?

FYI, all of the longer keys have that wire thingy. That's so when you press on one side of the, say, spacebar, the whole key depresses and not just the side on which you're pressing.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 12:21 pm
And I'm with those who recommend replacing the durn thing. Unless it's a fancy ergonomic type.

FYI, you can pick up keyboards cheap at most any thrift store....
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 04:06 pm
DrewDad wrote:
And I'm with those who recommend replacing the durn thing. Unless it's a fancy ergonomic type.

FYI, you can pick up keyboards cheap at most any thrift store....

And have OTHER PEOPLE'S gunk in MY house?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 04:51 pm
errr thrift stores often have new over-run stock - not just 2nd-hand stuff.

I went out and priced some puter cleaning stuff today. New keyboard it'll be for me. Cheaper than cleaning stuff, unless all I buy is a double-pack of the air-spray.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 05:13 pm
Bunny, my dear, with all due respect...DON'T EAT AT THE FRICKIN' COMPUTER! ahem...carry on..
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 05:38 pm
Swimpy wrote:
Bunny, my dear, with all due respect...DON'T EAT AT THE FRICKIN' COMPUTER! ahem...carry on..

Take this!

http://www.loveandhonesty.com/cards/images/tongue.gif

http://images.google.com.au/url?q=http://www.bunnybytes.com/update0211/Spikes_Tongue.jpg&sig=__re954Z45ynOkkaws5HC5D5MPWGk=

http://www1.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/908420/2/istockphoto_908420_bunny.jpg

Heh heh heh heh.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 06:15 pm
http://www.bunnybytes.com/update0211/Spikes_Tongue.jpg

(use the image url, bunny, not the url of the page its on)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 07:33 pm
timberlandko wrote:
http://www.bunnybytes.com/update0211/Spikes_Tongue.jpg

(use the image url, bunny, not the url of the page its on)

Damn.
0 Replies