Priest Dies demonstrating how to walk on water

Joe Nation

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 06:11 pm
Eorl wrote:
I think the important thing is design yourself a test that won't actually be too risky, and make sure the results are open to interpretation.

You must be a tobacco company lawyer.

Joe( Exclamation )Nation
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 07:17 pm
This story is funny <nods>
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 07:31 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Hold on. This isn't testing God, this was a show of faith based on a revelation, the kind Pat Robertson has all the time.

The guy had such belief that he walked out into the water expecting any minute that the God he believes in would raise him up. It was the same situation with Peter when Jesus told him to get out of the boat and walk to Him, right? Peter failed in his faith, was rebuked by Jesus, but at least he didn't end up sleeping with the fishes.

We were told at our school that we must constantly "get out of the boat" lest we end up with an untested faith.

Which is it, believers, get out of the boat or cower down in the gunwales???

ya see joe, this doesn't apply to people like you or me, or that kamakazee minister.

that only applies to people like pat robertson and the like who have been selected to be among the elite who are allow to interpret such things.

oh...and people who already did that stuff in the bible....it applies to them too.

Joe(If Jesus comes to you in a dream, do you go back to sleep?)Nation
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 09:21 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
Eorl wrote:
I think the important thing is design yourself a test that won't actually be too risky, and make sure the results are open to interpretation.

You must be a tobacco company lawyer.

Joe( Exclamation )Nation

Well my school careers advisor said it was either that or the preisthood, so I went with the lesser evil !
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 09:27 pm
I walked on water yesterday. My driveway was wet after a rain.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 3 Sep, 2006 10:20 pm
Re: Priest Dies demonstrating how to walk on water
CerealKiller wrote:
MIRACLE IS SUNK
A PRIEST has died after trying to demonstrate how Jesus walked on water.

Evangelist preacher Franck Kabele, 35, told his congregation he could repeat the biblical miracle.

But he drowned after walking out to sea from a beach in the capital Libreville in Gabon, west Africa.

One eyewitness said: "He told churchgoers he'd had a revelation that if he had enough faith, he could walk on water like Jesus.

"He took his congregation to the beach saying he would walk across the Komo estuary, which takes 20 minutes by boat.

"He walked into the water, which soon passed over his head and he never came back."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=17646670&method=full&siteid=66633&headline=miracle-is-sunk--name_page.html

Natural selection in operation...let us devoutly hope he has no issue.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 01:28 pm
I do believe that most TV evangelists do not believe in what they are spewing in order to get money from their intellectually challenged audience (market). Just examine their behavior with the assumption that they are being disingenuous, and you'll really feel that your assumption is valid (they look dishonest).
This priest is the drastic exception. I wish they were all as sincere as he. That way they would all leave the scene by drowning. I'm thinking of Dlowan's "natural selection," of course.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 03:19 pm
I wish all teleevangelists would walk off into the water never to return.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 04:46 pm
I'm reminded of the End of the World prophets who had to face both their followers and their scoffers the morning after The End Day.

Perhaps the priest was too embarrassed to surface?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 09:29 pm
He might simply tell his followers that God appeared to him and told that because of the faith of his followers the End Day had been postponed. This actually happened, as described in the sociological work, When Prophecy Fails, a work that introduced to social science the concept, "cognitive dissonance."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 01:00 am
Noddy24 wrote:
I'm reminded of the End of the World prophets who had to face both their followers and their scoffers the morning after The End Day.

Perhaps the priest was too embarrassed to surface?
Tsk!
What a shame!
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 03:55 pm
Re: Priest Dies demonstrating how to walk on water
CerealKiller wrote:
"He walked into the water, which soon passed over his head and he never came back."

I bet he shows in Monaco, alive and well, with his mistress and all the money he bilked from his followers. Nice scam. Everybody bought it, even the media. Can you say "Scott Free".
0 Replies

shevykapita

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 07:46 pm
oops, trying to perform an experiment from a dubious bronze age "laboratory manual" is not a good idea!
that's the problem with religion. what makes people so confident that the bible is true, without knowing who, and when it was written baffles my logical mind. he was trying to defy the laws of science!! lol.
this simple "experiment" demonstrates that the laws of physics are much stronger than the laws of religious faith.
Shocked
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:10 pm
Given the dubious possibility that Jesus COULD walk on water that doesn't mean WE can do it. After all, he was the Son o' God for Christ's sake!
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 09:11 pm
hmmm, this guy disappears beneath the waves .... and then a few days later...shevy turns up here at A2K!

Anyone thinkin' what I'm thinkin' .............??? Cool
0 Replies

shevykapita

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 01:44 pm
ya....... i am the priest hahahahah
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 11:12 am
NickFun wrote:
Another candidate for the Darwin Awards.

The Bible has a wy of weeding out the ignorant.

Hosea 4:6 My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge: because thou hast rejected knowledge, I will also reject thee, that thou shalt be no priest to me: seeing thou hast forgotten the law of thy God, I will also forget thy children.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 11:17 am
shevykapita wrote:
oops, trying to perform an experiment from a dubious bronze age "laboratory manual" is not a good idea!
that's the problem with religion. what makes people so confident that the bible is true, without knowing who, and when it was written baffles my logical mind. he was trying to defy the laws of science!! lol.
this simple "experiment" demonstrates that the laws of physics are much stronger than the laws of religious faith.
Shocked

Religious faith was never meant to trump the laws of physics. They were meant to work in concert. Faith doesn't change reality.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 01:50 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
Faith doesn't change reality.

You can say that again. But I'm not sure the fundamentalists will believe you.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 21 Sep, 2006 02:22 pm
Faith doesn't change reality?

"Give a dog a bad name" is a cliche that partakes of folk wisdom.
0 Replies