Anyone like Tennis?

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 04:03 pm
@ossobuco,
No, watching it on TV on CBS.

Don't know if they are the same commentators.

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 04:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Yikes...Stousr won.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 04:09 pm
@Butrflynet,
Regarding commentators, found this:

Quote:
The broadcast team this year will feature the Brothers McEnroe in the booth, along with Cliff Drysdale, Chris Fowler, Dick Enberg (in his last hurrah) and newcomer Chris Evert, who was mostly competent during her practice run at Wimbledon. Tennis, after all, is one of those rare sports in which former players actually make for some of the best commentators—probably because a pro tennis player's internal monologue is actually something like a dialogue, in which he or she addresses the opponent's game and plans their way through it. John McEnroe, for all of his incessant bitching and for his ongoing American Tennis Crusade, is great at his job. As long as he and Patrick don't kill each other, the announcing crew should do just fine.
Butrflynet

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 04:17 pm
@Butrflynet,
You might be referring to Mary Carillo, who is doing the MC job during the award ceremony.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 04:19 pm
@Butrflynet,
Chris Evert.. she's from the u.s., different voice.
I have a bit of a gut bias against this woman, not for opinions that I can't completely hear but her voice, which I admit is completely stupid of me.

'k, Serena gave a good interview, after apparent fooforaw at the beginning of the second set.

Meantime, Stosur, wow.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 04:22 pm
@Butrflynet,
I doubt it, very brit voice. I wanna slap her... (sorry, interesting even to me that I would react that way, a mix of her voice and some catches of opinions spoken)
ossobuco

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 04:54 pm
@ossobuco,
All right, I've searched. No name to the voice in my explorations.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 04:34 pm
So, anyway, congratulations to Djokovic. Haven't watched the match yet.

Still haven't read more about the Williams Shosur match after I didn't hear the commentary last evening well.

I gather the overwhelming stuff is against Williams, back last evening, and I figure I agree, you don't do that.

Not that you can't do that, but that would be a different game system, taking grunts (already argued pro and con) to a whole new level.

Surely Serena has not been the first woman with emotions in the relatively tightly run game of tennis.

Monica started the grunts.
Will Serena start the yells?
I hope not.
Region Philbis

Reply Mon 12 Sep, 2011 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,

(drat -- forgot to watch from work this afternoon...)
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 4 Oct, 2011 07:31 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/03/andy-roddick-reporter--retire-video_n_992536.html

After losing his fourth opening-round match on Monday in the China Open (this time to Kevin Anderson), Roddick lost his cool when a reporter asked him if he is considering retirement.

For anyone watching tennis over the last couple months, Roddick losing his cool must be all too familiar. Just before the U.S. Open, Roddick let out his frustration in the middle of a match in Cincinnati and swatted a ball into the stands. Then he proceeded to argued with the umpire after he was penalized a point.

The 29-year-old took that testy attitude into the U.S. Open, where he ripped tennis analysts after his first-round victory and claimed that it's "the easiest job in the world."

Later in the tournament, Roddick lost his temper again and flipped out at chair umpire Carlos Bernardes over the wet court conditions before his fourth-round match.

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 04:50 pm
@snood,
Missed your post back then. Yeh, Roddick has a coolth problem.

Today I'm looking at a tennis, er, program online that I've barely heard of - Barclays, held in London, between the eight bigs (men).

Nadal and Mardy Fish even in third set as of a few minutes ago.

I'll link in a minute.

Ah, not a few minutes ago exactly -

http://www.atpworldtour.com/Tennis/Tournaments/London-Finals.aspx
engineer

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 05:01 pm
@ossobuco,
Yes, but Roddick's comment's about analysts were both funny and pretty good. I do think Roddick gets a pretty big pass on his recent behavior. It does get some attention, but Serena Williams can have one spat with a referee that doesn't involve bad language or even raised voices and she's the spawn of the devil. Roddick seems to rant regularly and people just roll their eyes and move on.

So Fish is having a good year overall. His re-dedication to fitness and renewed focus seem to be paying off.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 06:17 pm
@ossobuco,
Looks like Nadal in a third set tie-break.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 09:57 pm
@engineer,
So, Nadal and the Fed, arguably squishy results - but I didn't see the games.
I'm not into doubles yet - I could never figure out where to stand (maybe played doubles twice, once in class, once on a date.). Figuring the nuances of that, that's next. Sort of like small volleyball.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Nov, 2011 11:07 pm
@ossobuco,
More at the Guardian -
http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2011/nov/20/roger-federer-jo-wilfried-tsonga1
0 Replies

Kimaya

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 12:49 am
@ossobuco,
I love too i am not so perfect but still i love to play tennis and one day i will be a perfect tennis player sure. I think you guys know how excited it to play.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 17 Dec, 2011 12:07 pm
@Kimaya,
Yes, it is fun to play.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Jan, 2012 07:17 pm
And tennis goes on, with the Australian Open.

news on it from the U.S.'s Sports Illustrated website:
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/tennis/01/16/australian-open-nadal.ap/index.html?sct=tn_t2_a13
Region Philbis

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:24 am
@ossobuco,

watched a bit of the men's final this morning.
the match took nearly 6 hours, making it the longest grand slam final ever,
as well as the longest aussie open match ever.

both players were spent during the award presentation, barely able to stand up.
some kind soul finally brought out a couple of chairs so they could take a load off...
Ragman

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2012 10:33 am
@Region Philbis,
Hell, I don't even like SLEEPING for 6 hours but they played world class tennis for 6 hrs. YIKES! What's wrong with this picture?