Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 03:58 pm
@ossobuco,
So, we're back.
Kinda late for you, Iz.
We're on opposite sides on this one..
Izzie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 04:04 pm
@ossobuco,
Yep Osso - but it's nice watching the tennis with y'all...

would you like a cup of tea Razz

we're getting some of what's left of hurricane Katia heading our way... dark and stormy 'ole night outside, just gone 11pm and gonna be a little rough over the next couple days here - it's been tipping it down and blustery so have the bucket catching drips in the conservatory!

C'MON ANDY!!!!!!!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 04:30 pm
@Izzie,
Yes, tea would be lovely. I'll provide some biscuits, eh?

My goodness, Murray is very expressive. Kind of reminds me of my ex, a stiff sort of irish heritage person, said by another one, in looks, but different re expressiveness.

And, still to come, Serena Williams and Caroline Wozniaki..
I could bet a dollar on that one, but I like Caroline since I like her boyfriend Rory, plus I like her humor.

They are all so young. I've always been interested in sports in part for character elements, it's the people thing.
Izzie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 04:39 pm
@ossobuco,
Biscuits would be mmmmmm too! Razz

Andy is rather expressive <cough> - the UK commentators are having to apologise for him over the airwaves Shocked

He comes off as a real grumpy git and many don't like him being the "dour" Scotsman - but he's so talented, sometimes his own worst enemy as he wears his horse-hair shirt! It works tho for much of the time. His little brother Jamie (also a well known and successful doubles tennis player) is quite different to him in character.

Yep - I can't see me staying up for the ladies match... mores the pity - but I've not taken my potion yet so... who knows. Could be here 'til 5 in the morning!!!!

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 04:43 pm
@Izzie,
On the streaming thing I'm watching - the US Open site - in between this and that in the tennis match they talk about tweets to the site from people all over the world following all this. They quote a lot of them..
Once in a while the world is smaller.

I know futbol does that, that is part of why I like that too.
Izzie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 04:51 pm
@ossobuco,
There is a 'chat' facility on the stream I'm on

well, when I went on at the start - there were some quite unbelievable comments... the first comments I saw were horribly racist and then it started on homophobic comments...lots of effing and blinding!

errrr... tennis!!!!

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 05:10 pm
@Izzie,
That's how it is on a lot of american football sites, though the sites' mods often knock the worst off.

Interrupt to say Murray holds..

I'm mixed about the old ways of tennis, such a stronghold of the proper and well funded (mostly). Me, I only played it in high school, admittedly a catholic thus private school, and at a UC - state - campus.

On the other hand, I like the civility that is often the mode.

And we are in Arthur Ashe stadium, a good thing.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 05:11 pm
@ossobuco,
Adds, when I get my senses together, I will check the guardian to see whatever their site has going. Their golf commentators are superb.
Izzie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 05:22 pm
@ossobuco,
Break of serve <sigh>

as an aside and back to RP

there was a debate <some rather blah pontificating> about the roof (or lack thereof) and how that has to change... some of the techie folk were saying how the stadium is built on landfill so it wouldn't ever be possible to put a roof on... hmmmm

seems a shame really

after all the years at Wimbledon and not having a roof - now that we have it, it does make the world of difference even tho the whole game changes (ball speed, sound etc) when the roof goes over. I don't think that we'd get through all our matches in 2 weeks anymore without a roof - the game has changed so much over the years, matches are much longer and far more physically intense.

I've always loved tennis - played a lot and competitively when I was at school - stopped in '89 tho. S-boys Dad has a tennis court at his house so S plays sometimes but he's not real interested - he's more into team sports.

0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 06:03 pm
Taken my potion now so any posts will be less comprehensible than normal Razz

if I drop off the planet - please excuse me... I will have zonked... Arrow Mr. Green
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 06:17 pm
@Izzie,
Incomprehensible is fine with me.

Murray aggressive as I type..

Interesting re the roof, thanks for the clue.

The slick surface of the courts are good in some ways and icky in some ways. I don't understand the drainage, always a matter of interest to me. Water bubbles up on the court?

Murray out there being good......

I wonder about shoe changes - more gripping in the rain, if that would work. Probably not.

G'night if we don't talk in the meantime.

Er, double set point, bye.
Izzie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 06:19 pm
broken bavk..

ya just never know with Murray!!!! Wink
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 06:19 pm
@ossobuco,
To the fourth now.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 06:21 pm
@ossobuco,
I may be induced to put on some music.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 06:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Meantime, talk about different personalities.
Mr. drama, and Mr. automaton.
Izzie

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 06:42 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm struggling to keep my eyes open so will have to love you and leave you Osso. Hope it remains a good match and they go to the 5th. See you tomorrow xxxx <and thank you for keeping me company Very Happy>

C'MON ANDY Razz

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 07:09 pm
@Izzie,
Close even now that you are sleeping.

Whatever the outcome, I think Andy had jumped a notch or notches.

As I type, it's not all clear.

Oh, wait, triple match point.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Sep, 2011 07:13 pm
@ossobuco,
Ok, Rafa won, but I think Murray made a jump.

0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 01:51 am
and here comes Sammy Stosur.........
snood

Reply Sun 11 Sep, 2011 08:23 am
Serena comes back from injury and inactivity to have a terrific year, winning back-to-back tournaments and so far dominating the Open. And no one on A2K's "I love Tennis" thread even pretends to appreciate it. Interesting.