religious people don't care about truth

rosborne979

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:03 pm
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Genetics is the best example. Evolution predicted that organisms passed on their traits, but how? A genetic function of some type was predicted by the theory, and later confirmed (in excruciating detail).

You attempted to credit evolutionary theory for the notion that organisms pass on their traits. Laughing

We have known that for THOUSANDS of years , Ros, as I pointed out in my response to this misconception of yours.

We did not need to wait for evolutionary theory to know that organisms pass on their traits.

It's nice to see that you can read at least one sentence out of a paragraph, but please try to read the whole paragraph and get the point.

rosborne979 wrote:
A genetic function of some type was predicted by the theory, and later confirmed (in excruciating detail).

I sure hope this isn't the extent of your attempt to demonstrate some level of understanding of evolution, because all you've demonstrated is your inability to comprehend the context of the message.

Sadly, this is a recurring weakness in your posts.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:08 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Genetics is the best example. Evolution predicted that organisms passed on their traits, but how? A genetic function of some type was predicted by the theory, and later confirmed (in excruciating detail).

You attempted to credit evolutionary theory for the notion that organisms pass on their traits. Laughing

We have known that for THOUSANDS of years , Ros, as I pointed out in my response to this misconception of yours.

We did not need to wait for evolutionary theory to know that organisms pass on their traits.

It's nice to see that you can read at least one sentence out of a paragraph, but please try to read the whole paragraph and get the point.

rosborne979 wrote:
A genetic function of some type was predicted by the theory, and later confirmed (in excruciating detail).

I sure hope this isn't the extent of your attempt to demonstrate some level of understanding of evolution, because all you've demonstrated is your inability to comprehend the context of the message.

Sadly, this is a recurring weakness in your posts.

All right, Ros, let's go at this point by point.

Do you agree that mankind has known for thousands of years that organisms pass on their traits?

If this is so, in what reasonable sense can you take this long-established fact and claim 'evolution predicted this' ?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 09:36 pm
real life wrote:

Oh sure, you play fast and loose with terminology and semantics all the time, and now suddenly you want to go 'point by point'. How about holding yourself up to the same standards first.

real life wrote:
Do you agree that mankind has known for thousands of years that organisms pass on their traits?

Sure, that's just as obvious as evolution itself.

real life wrote:
If this is so, in what reasonable sense can you take this long-established fact and claim 'evolution predicted this' ?

Evolution predicted a mechanism associated with reproductio which was subject to natural selection. The word genetics wasn't around at that time, but once discovered, it matched the mechanism requirements implied by evolution by means of natural selection. It allowed some level of variation from generation to generation even while traits were being passed on.

Had genetics not harbored the potential for mutation and mixing and crossover, then it wouldn't have been a good match for what the theory implied.

Now let's go through your posts point by point. Why don't you tell us why your oft cited "tornado in a junkyard" is not a good analogy for evolution, and then explain to us why you bring it up so often even if you know that it's a bogus analogy.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 10:36 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Oh sure, you play fast and loose with terminology and semantics all the time, and now suddenly you want to go 'point by point'. How about holding yourself up to the same standards first.

We shall soon see who is fast and loose.

rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Sure, that's just as obvious as evolution itself.

Thank you. Then how can you, with a straight face, claim 'evolution predicted this, and it was confirmed afterward' ?

rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

Evolution predicted a mechanism associated with reproductio which was subject to natural selection. The word genetics wasn't around at that time, but once discovered, it matched the mechanism requirements implied by evolution by means of natural selection.
emphasis mine

The principle that organisms pass on their traits wasn't discovered after Darwin. Only the word was coined. Talk about fast and loose.

The 'predicted mechanism' was nothing of the kind. It was a given that this occurred. Mankind had known it to be a fact for thousands of years. It wasn't 'predicted' at all.

rosborne979 wrote:
It allowed some level of variation from generation to generation even while traits were being passed on.

Had genetics not harbored the potential for mutation and mixing and crossover, then it wouldn't have been a good match for what the theory implied.

The exact opposite of what you tried to imply. You said evolution predicted that organisms PASS ON their traits.

I countered that evolution actually teaches that organisms pass on new traits.

Now you are agreeing that evolution is all about variation but trying to make it sound as if that is what you said.

rosborne979 wrote:
Now let's go through your posts point by point. Why don't you tell us why your oft cited "tornado in a junkyard" is not a good analogy for evolution, and then explain to us why you bring it up so often even if you know that it's a bogus analogy.

The problem with the 'tornado in a junkyard assembling a 747' analogy is that it is too generous to evolution.

A tornado in a junkyard would take already formed parts which are not connected and connect them properly into a working machine, an airplane.

Evolution, on the other hand, claims not only to connect separate parts into a working whole, but also first to assemble each part from base chemicals with no blueprint, no organized information of any kind.

Then it takes the parts that have been formed and assembles them into a living organism......something so complex that it makes a 747 look like a stone in comparison.

Yes the tornado analogy is faulty, because it cuts evolution way too much slack.

A better analogy would be a dust storm on the moon assembling entire fleets of 747's , aircraft carriers and space shuttles that drive themselves. Even this, however , gives evolution way too much credit as the resulting machinery is still not nearly complex enough to be a good comparison.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 07:04 am
real life wrote:
The exact opposite of what you tried to imply. You said evolution predicted that organisms PASS ON their traits.

That's three times now that you've selectively ignored the context of the original quote and focused on a single sentence, even after I pointed out to you where you were being blind.

You don't read very well RL.

real life wrote:
The problem with the 'tornado in a junkyard assembling a 747' analogy is that it is too generous to evolution.

Wrong. You can stop there. My point is proven.

You can challenge your own fabrications as long as you like RL, but you're just wasting your time (and ours).
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 09:03 am
real life wrote:
In fact evolution goes so far as to predict that their descendants will have completely new organs, biological systems, chemical processes hitherto unknown and completely novel body plans.

I'm increasingly unconvinced that you understand the theory of evolution.

How does evolution say that "their descendants will have completely new organs, biological systems, chemical processes hitherto unknown and completely novel body plans."?

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but you seem to be talking about it as if it's magic or something. Please explain what evolution says about descendants having new organs etc.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 10 Sep, 2006 11:39 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
real life wrote:

That's three times now that you've selectively ignored the context of the original quote and focused on a single sentence, even after I pointed out to you where you were being blind.

You don't read very well RL.

The context is very clear.

The entire post from http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2229571&highlight=genetics#2229571

rosborne979 wrote:
And that was my point when I said there were no weaknesses in the theory.

Just because we lack detail in certain areas does not imply weakness in the basic theory. Quite the contrary, we have lacked detail since Darwin published the idea, and in every case when we have found the details, they have strengthened the basic theory.

You attempted to credit evolution for 'predicting' something and later 'confirming' it.

Instead it was something mankind had known for thousands of years i.e. that organisms pass on their traits to their offspring.

And you claimed that this was your 'best example'. No wonder you're upset when it turns out to be so transparently wrong.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:00 am
I also said this in the same post:

real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Just because we lack detail in certain areas does not imply weakness in the basic theory. Quite the contrary, we have lacked detail since Darwin published the idea, and in every case when we have found the details, they have strengthened the basic theory.

Do you think Genetics doesn't strengthen the basic theory?

And just because something is already recognized (inheretance), doesn't mean that it can't be predicted by a theory. Predictions aren't invalidated just because they are already observed, they are still functions of the theory.

For instance, I predict that you will continue to mince words and dodge around the basic issues while you spew your propaganda on creationism. Just because we've seen that behavior before, and just because everyone already knows it doesn't mean that I can't still predict it.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:30 am
rosborne979 wrote:
I also said this in the same post:

real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:

Do you think Genetics doesn't strengthen the basic theory?

And just because something is already recognized (inheretance), doesn't mean that it can't be predicted by a theory. Predictions aren't invalidated just because they are already observed, they are still functions of the theory.

For instance, I predict that you will continue to mince words and dodge around the basic issues while you spew your propaganda on creationism. Just because we've seen that behavior before, and just because everyone already knows it doesn't mean that I can't still predict it.

You certainly are determined to stretch the meaning of 'prediction' , aren't you?

If I stated that the New Testament 'predicted' the kingship of David (1000 BC) , you would fall over laughing and rightly so.

Your statement that evolution 'predicted' and 'later confirmed' clearly implies that you think evolutionary thinking anticipated the finding that organisms pass on their traits.

In fact it had been observed and well known by sheep breeders, horse breeders and ordinary moms and dads for thousands of years.

Your example of 'predicting' human behavior (mine or another's) which is subject to change , as compared with 'predicting' chemical and biological processes which are not subject to human will is a very poor example.

It is like saying you 'predicted' grass would grow if you watered the seed and fertilized it. --- when it is already a well known fact. It is stretching the meaning of 'prediction' to a level where the word means nothing.

The meat-and-potatoes of evolutionary theory is variation, not inheritance of the same traits from parent to child.

The very idea of evolution is to attempt to show that inheritance has a wild card ---- a variable (mutation), not to show it is linear.

In short, the upshot of evolutionary theory is to 'predict' the opposite of what you said it predicts.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:48 am
Pretty good point, real. I'll have to read it again.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:51 am
real life wrote:
You certainly are determined to stretch the meaning of 'prediction' , aren't you?

You certainly are determined to fixate on it, aren't you.

real life wrote:
In short, the upshot of evolutionary theory is to 'predict' the opposite of what you said it predicts.

So now you think evolution predicts the opposite of inheretance and descent with modification?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 08:56 am
It's obvious you guys are not arguing from the same premises
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 09:56 am
neologist wrote:
It's obvious you guys are not arguing from the same premises

I know. And I hate to be diverting this thread. I'm not sure how we got onto Evolution again.

The only premise I know I have is naturalism.

Which premise would you say each of us arguing from?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 10:09 am
I've been searching the thread and can't find what I am lookng for; but somewhere it seems that the concepts of evolution, science and religion have been personalized, if that is the right word.

Neither science nor religion can do anything.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 11:31 am
real life wrote:
We shall soon see who is fast and loose.

Shocked
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 01:09 pm
neologist wrote:
I've been searching the thread and can't find what I am lookng for; but somewhere it seems that the concepts of evolution, science and religion have been personalized, if that is the right word.

What do you mean?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:19 pm
real life--
A few pages back, I was asking about "supernatural" causes. I can sort of imagine such a concept, but I don't see how it can be supported by reason. (Am I way off track, or what?)
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 04:33 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

What do you mean?
What do you mean 'What do I mean'?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 05:57 pm
neologist wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
neologist wrote:

What do you mean?
What do you mean 'What do I mean'?

I don't know. I thought you might elaborate on "evolution, science, religion, have been personalized", and "science and religion don't do anything."
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 11 Sep, 2006 06:36 pm
Laughing OK.

Don't ask me who said it or where, cause I've looked and can't find it.

But.

Someone said

Something to the effect of

Science will lead to this or that
Or evolution will bring about thus and such

Oh heck

It sounded like a good point
0 Replies