religious people don't care about truth

agrote

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 04:58 am
fresco wrote:
However irrespective of the often misunderstood philosophical or scientific status of the word "truth" the de facto situation regarding religion is well summed up by Pontias Pilote's famous response "What is truth ?" to Jesus' "I am the truth".

I don't follow this last bit.
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 06:37 am
To paraphrase....

Pilote said "truth is negotiable" (The common sense answer)

Jesus said "no its not, and what am/say is "it"" (The common answer of those who claim "divine revelation")

The situation today is that "moderate" religionists are prepared to negotiate a few details, but still claim they are privy to some hazy "fundamental truth", whereas "fundamentalists" tend to negotiate nothing. Both depart from "common sense" with the fundamentalist having to shore up their position with ludicrous barricades against overwhelming scientific counter-evidence.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 09:01 am
This is at the heart of the discussion. The exact text from John 18:37,38:
"To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth heareth my voice. [38] Pilate saith unto him, What is truth?

If the truth Jesus referred to is simply a priestly fabrication, naively believed, then the believer is to be pitied.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 01:02 pm
fresco wrote:
To paraphrase....

Pilote said "truth is negotiable" (The common sense answer)

Jesus said "no its not, and what am/say is "it"" (The common answer of those who claim "divine revelation")

The situation today is that "moderate" religionists are prepared to negotiate a few details, but still claim they are privy to some hazy "fundamental truth", whereas "fundamentalists" tend to negotiate nothing. Both depart from "common sense" with the fundamentalist having to shore up their position with ludicrous barricades against overwhelming scientific counter-evidence.

Are you saying that truth is negotiable?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 03:55 pm
mindonfire,

Of course ! Negotiations about "truth" take place everyday in court-rooms,
and more bizarrely amongst conspiracy theorists.

"Truth" is function of agreement between observers for particular purposes who segment "reality" accordingly. For example, there were "four colours of the rainbow" in medieval times to correspond with the four gospels and then "seven" to correspond to the tonic scale in music.

An alternative view, "that reality (and hence "truth") exists independent of observers" is called "naive realism" in philosophy.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Tue 5 Sep, 2006 08:01 pm
fresco wrote:
An alternative view, "that reality (and hence "truth") exists independent of observers" is called "naive realism" in philosophy.

Am I a naive realist, then?

What's wrong with naive realism?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 12:15 am
Some objections to "naive realism are,

1. That perception is active not passive...."The world" doesnt impinge on our senses...we "interact" with it..."data" depend on a "perceptual need"

2. At the quantum level (and this may be the level of brain operation*Hameroff)) it has been shown that observer affects the observed. We never observe "the world" only the effects of our observation methods (Heisenberg)

3. What we call "things" are tokens for our expected interactions with them. They have no idependent existence....no observer no observed.

NB the way out of this for some religionists was to evoke "God" as "an ultimate observer".
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 06:52 am
fresco wrote:
Some objections to "naive realism are,

1. That perception is active not passive...."The world" doesnt impinge on our senses...we "interact" with it..."data" depend on a "perceptual need"

2. At the quantum level (and this may be the level of brain operation*Hameroff)) it has been shown that observer affects the observed. We never observe "the world" only the effects of our observation methods (Heisenberg)

3. What we call "things" are tokens for our expected interactions with them. They have no idependent existence....no observer no observed.

NB the way out of this for some religionists was to evoke "God" as "an ultimate observer".

So what are you then, a solipsist?

When you have sex, are you really just masturbating?
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:54 am
agrote,

Solipsism questions the existence of anything outside "self". The outline above implies that "self" and "the world" are co-existent. Neither "exists" without the other. Reality resides in the interaction. "Existence" is "relationship".
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 07:59 am
fresco wrote:

And the way out for others is to rely on metaphysical nonsense to conflate the "observer" with the "observed."
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Wed 6 Sep, 2006 08:59 am
Quote:
fresco wrote:

Joefromchicago
And the way out for others is to rely on metaphysical nonsense to conflate the "observer" with the "observed."

And the way IN for the philosophically challenged is NOT to whine "nonsense" to concepts which they are too lazy to research !
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 12:36 pm
Re: religious people don't care about truth
agrote wrote:
In many cases, it is good that people are religious. Many people's lives are saved by coming to believe that there is a God that loves them, and stuff like that. Religion has caused wars and done harm, of course. But I see that it does lots of good for many people on a personal level. My mother, for example, would have struggled if she wasn't a Christian. She had a difficult childhood, but she's come off very well considering, and I think it's probably partly because she has faith in God and that gives her hope.

BUT, none of that means that any religious principles are actually true. Since I don't know about every religion that there is, I should probably be specific and just talk about Christianity. But what I am saying can be applied to other religions too.

To be a Christian, one needs to have faith that there is a God who loves them and who created the universe, and that an afterlife in heaven awaits them. And other things too. People don't come to believe these things based on evidence, or rationality, but they come to have faith in them. They believe these things despite the lack of any rational reason to believe in them. And I think they do this because those beliefs are very attractive.

It feels good to believe that there is a God watching over you and looking after you. But that doesn't mean it's true. I would feel good if I believed that I had got a 1st in my previous year at university. But it's not true. I got a 2:2.

Many people seem to find the belief that there is no God, and that the universe is a sort of accident, much less attractive, and I think that is why people have such a strong tendancy to be religious.

Basically, I don't think people are religious because it seems to be true that there is a God or an afterlife, etc. I think they are religious purely because they'd prefer those things to be true.

But what we want to be true isn't necessarily what is true. It's a bit like pop music. The albums that top the charts aren't necessarily the best ones. If the charts were based on some objective aesthetic standard by which to measure the goodness of an album, then they would look completely different.

If Christians were being objective about what is true, perhaps by looking at what scientific evidence points towards, they would have less conviction that there is a God that loves them.

Let me ask you something agrote. Do you believe the sun will rise tomorrow?
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:15 pm
fresco wrote:
agrote,

Solipsism questions the existence of anything outside "self". The outline above implies that "self" and "the world" are co-existent. Neither "exists" without the other. Reality resides in the interaction. "Existence" is "relationship".

How do you know that everything you just said is true?
If you're not a naive realist, what's truth like?

These aren't rhetorical questions; I'm just curious now.

hephzibah wrote:

In practice, yes I do. But I try to be agnostic about everything. I don't believe that I can be certain that it will rise, but I do believe that it probably will.

Why?
0 Replies

Treya

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:26 pm
agrote wrote:

hephzibah wrote:

In practice, yes I do. But I try to be agnostic about everything. I don't believe that I can be certain that it will rise, but I do believe that it probably will.

Why?

Because to believe in something you cannot prove IS, or WILL happen is faith. So even non-christians have faith on a certain level don't you think?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:31 pm
What is Truth?
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:43 pm
hephzibah wrote:
agrote wrote:

hephzibah wrote:

Why?

Because to believe in something you cannot prove IS, or WILL happen is faith. So even non-christians have faith on a certain level don't you think?

Everyone has a faith and everyone has a religion.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:45 pm
neologist wrote:

Reality, God
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:51 pm
hephzibah wrote:
agrote wrote:

hephzibah wrote:

Why?

I have seen daylight happen every single day for over 20 years. I believe that there will be daylight tomorrow - I call that a well-supported theory.

You have absolutely no logical or rational or empirical reason to believe that God loves you. But you believe it anyway (I assume) - I call that faith.

[QUOTE"Mindonfire"]Everyone has a faith and everyone has a religion.[/QUOTE]

That's not true, though. I don't have a religion. Look up 'religion' in a dictionary.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:56 pm
of course religious people care about the truth. They are determined to make the mythology they grew up with into the truth.

All religions were just ways for primitive man to explain the inexplicable. Today, primitive man uses science, quantum theory, string theory, cosmology and dna sequencing to do exactly the same thing. (plus maths and logic). This is the fundamental point I want to get across. Science is just a better methodology towards Truth.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:58 pm
Does your science provide comfort?
0 Replies