Yes. Very much so.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 02:26 pm
In what way? Could you elaborate?
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 03:18 pm
In a sense, I think we are all scientists; we all test information against our own system of reasoning. And we all tend to resist any data that might challenge our deepest convictions. A good scientist, having faith in reason as a means of knowing reality, will try to surrender to the facts of the matter... Ironically, this appears to be especially difficult for religionists, who seem to be lacking in faith the most.
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 06:48 pm
agrote wrote:

That's not true, though. I don't have a religion. Look up 'religion' in a dictionary.

The people who do not have a religion are those who are physically dead and in pine boxes.

Definitions (Merriam Webster)
Religion: (n) 1 a : the state of a religious *a nun in her 20th year of religion* b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
3 archaic : scrupulous conformity : CONSCIENTIOUSNESS
4 : a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith
-re£li£gion£less adjective
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 06:50 pm
echi wrote:
In a sense, I think we are all scientists; we all test information against our own system of reasoning. And we all tend to resist any data that might challenge our deepest convictions. A good scientist, having faith in reason as a means of knowing reality, will try to surrender to the facts of the matter... Ironically, this appears to be especially difficult for religionists, who seem to be lacking in faith the most.

All of life is science. Therefore all who are alive are scientists. Religion is no different. Religion is supposed to be based on reason. Unfortunately some unreasonable people have hijacked religion.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 06:53 pm
Now look up "archaic".
0 Replies

echi

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 06:59 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
echi wrote:

All of life is science. Therefore all who are alive are scientists. Religion is no different. Religion is supposed to be based on reason. Unfortunately some unreasonable people have hijacked religion.

I think I kind of agree with you, but then again... not really. How was religion originally based on reason?
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 07:09 pm
Mindonfire wrote:

All life is time, everything preset everything in an oder everything without purpose. Its just time and science is contained in that time.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 07:47 pm
Intrepid wrote:
In what way? Could you elaborate?

Science derives from the assumption that we are able to understand the world around us, and that we are an integral part of it. It removes the bias that we are superior or inferior to anything in nature, and gives us the freedom to make choices based on our our conviction and values.

Science reveals an elegance and mystery to nature which profoundly supersedes anything offered by religious dogma, and it leaves open the possibility of spiritual aspects beyond its own bounds.

Science is both freeing, and enlightening. But it pulls no punches, so if you're insecure, and need to believe something to bolster your ego as a *special* part of nature, then close your eyes and sit back down on the pew, because it's probably not for you.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 07:51 pm
The supposition that religious people are insecure is false. Sure, it may be so in some cases. Many of us are certainly not insecure and to not view religion as a crutch or pacifier.

I happen to believe that I can embrace both science and religion and feel quite comfortable with both.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 07:58 pm
Intrepid wrote:
The supposition that religious people are insecure is false. Sure, it may be so in some cases.

There are exceptions to every rule, you may be one of them.

Intrepid wrote:
Many of us are certainly not insecure and to not view religion as a crutch or pacifier.

Possibly, but then why would you prefer it over analytic naturalistic reason?

Intrepid wrote:
I happen to believe that I can embrace both science and religion and feel quite comfortable with both.

I agree, and I can do this as well, but "religion" becomes a very vague spiritual aspect of things in that case. It's certainly not dogmatic organized religion which is too restrictive in most cases to allow for freedom based on personal conviction alone.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 03:22 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
agrote wrote:

That's not true, though. I don't have a religion. Look up 'religion' in a dictionary.

The people who do not have a religion are those who are physically dead and in pine boxes.

Religion: (n) 1 a : the state of a religious *a nun in her 20th year of religion* b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
2 : a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices

I don't fit any of those definitions. You probably think the last one applies to me, but it doesn't quite.

I have a system of beliefs, but it is not held to with ardour or faith. If somebody shows me that one of my beliefs is false, it won't break my heart.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:17 pm
rosborne979 wrote:
Science derives from the assumption that we are able to understand the world around us,

An assumption that presumes omniscience.

rosborne979 wrote:
and that we are an integral part of it.

No problem with that.

rosborne979 wrote:
It removes the bias that we are superior or inferior to anything in nature,

Not really.

rosborne979 wrote:
and gives us the freedom to make choices based on our our conviction and values.

And religious people do not?

rosborne979 wrote:
Science reveals an elegance and mystery to nature which profoundly supersedes anything offered by religious dogma,

Thus contradicting 'we can understand everything about the world around us.' But providing comic relief.

rosborne979 wrote:
and it leaves open the possibility of spiritual aspects beyond its own bounds.

Not often acknowledged, but good. In practice, though, this is ignored because everything is assumed to have natural causes only.

rosborne979 wrote:
Science is both freeing, and enlightening.

Freeing from what?

rosborne979 wrote:
But it pulls no punches,

Actually it pulls quite a few.

rosborne979 wrote:
so if you're insecure, and need to believe something to bolster your ego as a *special* part of nature, then close your eyes and sit back down on the pew, because it's probably not for you

Typical slam. If you're so secure, 'twould seem to be unnecessary.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:31 pm
[Yesterday, I posted something dorky about good scientists having "faith in reason", or whatever. I would just like to go ahead and retract that, now, if I may. I now think that science relies on reason not out of faith, but necessity. Thank you. Very Happy ]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Intrepid,
You stated that in science, "everything is assumed to have natural causes only". Is there an alternative? What is an "unnatural" or "supernatural cause"?
[pardon me, rosborne, for cutting in]
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:52 pm
echi wrote:
Now look up "archaic".

Definitions Merriam Webster
Archaic : (adj) 1 : having the characteristics of the language of the past and surviving chiefly in specialized uses *an archaic word*
2 : of, relating to, or characteristic of an earlier or more primitive time : ANTIQUATED *archaic legal traditions*
3 capitalized : of or belonging to the early or formative phases of a culture or a period of artistic development; especially : of or belonging to the period leading up to the classical period of Greek culture
4 : surviving from an earlier period; specifically : typical of a previously dominant evolutionary stage
5 capitalized : of or relating to the period from about 8000 B.C. to 1000 B.C. and the North American cultures of that time
synonyms see OLD
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:53 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:

All life is time, everything preset everything in an oder everything without purpose. Its just time and science is contained in that time.

Everything is in order and everything has a purpose
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 09:57 pm
agrote wrote:
Mindonfire wrote:
agrote wrote:

I don't fit any of those definitions. You probably think the last one applies to me, but it doesn't quite.

I have a system of beliefs, but it is not held to with ardour or faith. If somebody shows me that one of my beliefs is false, it won't break my heart.

That is your belief system. Your system of belief that you hold, is not to care whether or not your belief is true or false.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 10:02 pm
real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Science derives from the assumption that we are able to understand the world around us,

An assumption that presumes omniscience.

Incorrect.

I said, 'able' to understand the world around us. I did not say that we 'already' understand 'everything' about the world around us.

real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
It removes the bias that we are superior or inferior to anything in nature,

Not really.

Yes. Really. I just think you don't understand my usage of "superior" and "inferior".

real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Science reveals an elegance and mystery to nature which profoundly supersedes anything offered by religious dogma,

Thus contradicting 'we can understand everything about the world around us.' But providing comic relief.

I said "can" understand the world around us, not "do" understand the world around us. There's a big difference. You're obviously missing it. Maybe that's why you misinterpred the opening remark as omniscience.

real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
and it leaves open the possibility of spiritual aspects beyond its own bounds.

Not often acknowledged, but good. In practice, though, this is ignored because everything is assumed to have natural causes only.

It's always acknowledged. Science must build from a foundation of naturalism, but it can never conclude that the supernatural does not exist. That is beyond the pervue of science, and everyone that understands science knows it.

real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
Science is both freeing, and enlightening.

Freeing from what?

Freeing from the bias of perceiving things as a human. Freedom to see the world as it really is, without assumptions or dogma. The only assumption is naturalism, and it's unavoidable. But I admit it's an assumption (if we want to argue this point we should move to the philosophy forum).

real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
But it pulls no punches,

Actually it pulls quite a few.

Name one.

real life wrote:
rosborne979 wrote:
so if you're insecure, and need to believe something to bolster your ego as a *special* part of nature, then close your eyes and sit back down on the pew, because it's probably not for you

Typical slam. If you're so secure, 'twould seem to be unnecessary.

Sorry, it was a bit of a slam. But it's also a complaint I have about religion. Many people do use it as an excuse to boost their ego by convincing themselves that they are somehow *special* in a supernatural way. Do you think I'm incorrect in saying that?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 8 Sep, 2006 10:41 pm
~bookmark~
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 08:01 am
Mindonfire wrote:
That is your belief system. Your system of belief that you hold, is not to care whether or not your belief is true or false.

But it is not held to with ardour or faith! Face it, I don't have a religion. Only religious people have religions.
0 Replies