Does anyone here row?

George

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 06:02 am
wandeljw wrote:
I did not realize the emphasis would be on rowing machines. However, nickfun brought up real rowing and the need to be in shape. I used to row a lot when I was a teenager. One of my cousins was on the women's olympic rowing team.

I am now in my fifties. Two summers ago I was rowing a small boat and got stuck in the middle of a small lake (strong current that I could not row out of). A police motorboat had to tow me back to shore. Very embarrassing!

Did you row competitively? I have a number of friends who did "crew" in
school.

My real rowing (i.e. on water) has mostly been in those metal onstrosities
that get rented out.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:58 am
George,

I did most of my rowing when I was younger. The Chicago Park District had a summer program on Lake Michigan teaching water sports and water safety. My parents made sure I took advantage of that. My mother's brother was a competitive rower in Germany. He later taught rowing to children. He trained his own daughter from the age of 3. At 18, she was on Germany's women's rowing team at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 08:31 am
Age 3?
Yikes!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 08:36 am
Chai Tea wrote:

Hey...I just looked and Craigslist, and someone was selling one for $675....new they are $850....so, you can get most of your money back.

That's what they're asking, anyway -- keep an eye on it to see if it actually sells, if that's a factor for you.

I see a LOT of exercise equipment on craigslist that starts high and goes down down down... I've seriously considered buying several of them, but keep talking myself out of it.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 08:59 am
sozobe wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

Hey...I just looked and Craigslist, and someone was selling one for $675....new they are $850....so, you can get most of your money back.

That's what they're asking, anyway -- keep an eye on it to see if it actually sells, if that's a factor for you.

I see a LOT of exercise equipment on craigslist that starts high and goes down down down... I've seriously considered buying several of them, but keep talking myself out of it.

I hear ya.

However, Concept 2's are hard to come by. Just for the fun of it, I check out a couple of other larger cities on craigslist and only found I think 2 others for sale…..At a comparable price, $500 and up.

Yeah there's other brands out there that are cheaper, but I'd only get a Concept 2. As far as indoor rowers, it really is the best. I've tried others and there's no comparison.

Honestly, you're not going to find one for like a hundred bucks or anything. Some areas of the country have indoor rowing clubs and such (there's all kinds of stuff about them on Concept 2's website, it's really cool. I find the whole website inspiring)…but here in Austin, indoor rowing is really not a big thing, so there's not a lot of them out there changing hands.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 09:06 am
Sounds good.
0 Replies