Does anyone here row?

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:24 am
I used to work out at the gym on indoor rowers....the ones made by Concept 2.

I've always wanted to buy one, and now I have my own gym at home, and would really like to get one for the new year.

I've held off asking this question on A2K, but can't find the answer anywhere I've looked.

OK...for those here that row....do you find that it can cause hemmoroids?
I've had 2 really bad bouts with them in the past, and don't want a third.

The last time I sat down at a rower, I was just starting to develop one of those gifts from hell, but I thought "I'll just do a few easy strokes, no power behind them, just to stretch out my lats and back."

YOWZERS!!! Needless to say, I stopped after one stroke!

For those who've never done indoor rowing, either you take to it, or you don't....but if you do take to it, if done with the proper technique it is the absolute best all around exercise out there. That is, if you do it on a good machine, like the one I mentioned above.

I've ignored my desire for a rower for about a year now....but the other day I realized I was listening to Queens "We Will Rock You" and felt a physical longing to be pulling through that strong beat.

Anyone?

BTW - here's a picture of one...

http://www.peterborough.net/media/lifestyle/rower.jpg
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,641 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 05:42 am
Don't know about hemorrhoids, but when I am at the gym, I avoid the rowing machine. I have a lousy back, and a couple of doctors, and a chiropractor, told me that those machines are not good if you have any back problems.
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 06:07 am
Have to admit they were one of the few things I enjoyed at the gym.Though I didnt stay on it for long.
I liked the fact that the circular thing at the back gave out a blast off cool air as I rowed forward, quite handy.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:20 am
I have the Kettler Favorit. It's a dandy for the price range, but I built an inclined plane to elevate the back of it. Increases the workout on the legs, etc., without straining the elbows, which are a weak point for me. Simon and Garfunkle has better workout music, unless you are shooting for the Olympics.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:25 am
I never row.

I hate all types of verbal argument.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:28 am
I've got different paces for different purposes. No back problems.
People don't seem to realize that you set your own resistance according to the strength of your pull....light pull, light resistance....heavy pull, heavy resistance. You're working against a turbine. The level 1-10 have to do with simulating a heavier boat in the water.

I've seen macho type shove it up to 10 and give up in a minute....better to have at 2 or 3 and last forever. (kinda like a lot of other things in life :wink: )

Of course, if necessary, I'd limit my workouts on the rower to whatever would ensure no damage to my bottom.

hemmoroids people.

any info/opinions?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:29 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
I never row.

I hate all types of verbal argument.

I knew someone would come up with that one eventually. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 07:31 am
Can you please remove that white diamond from your avatar, Chai?

Pretty please?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 08:19 am
I mow. Does that count?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 09:17 am
Lord Ellpus wrote:
Can you please remove that white diamond from your avatar, Chai?

Pretty please?

No wonder I have rroids....I have a big diamond stuck up my arse.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 10:28 am
Maybe it's connected to your ring.
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:51 am
I use a Concept II. No 'roids yet, but if I'm on it for more than 30 minutes, my butt gets numb. I have to be careful getting up or I'll lose
my balance!

I don't use it as much as when I was canoeing competitively. Now I find
it makes for good cross-training or on days when the weather is too foul
to go running outdoors.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 12:42 pm
George wrote:
I use a Concept II. No 'roids yet, but if I'm on it for more than 30 minutes, my butt gets numb. I have to be careful getting up or I'll lose
my balance!

I don't use it as much as when I was canoeing competitively. Now I find
it makes for good cross-training or on days when the weather is too foul
to go running outdoors.

OOOOO - George! Just the man I want to talk to!

First question isÂ….Have you ever had rroids at any time? If you have ever had them at one time, but haven't gotten them as a result of rowing, I'll take that as a good sign.

Right now, all I'm doing is an elliptical, 45 minutes at a time. I really need to break that up. Even if I only rowed 20 and finished up on the elliptical, I'd be getting a substantially better workout, and be lengthening those muscles.

Also, I REALLY need to get rid of about 25 pounds of excess baggage (at least), and that'll take it off for sure. (God, I just looked at the pictures boomerang took, and I don't even recognize myself, really have to take stock of myself, jesus, I've got a double chin!)

Also, by the new year I hope to have a back deck . I can just roll it out there and enjoy the winter cool and watch squirrels cavort while I row.

Concept 2 does have a 30 day return policy. Do you think it's worth a chance George?
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 12:53 pm
I prefer real rowing but I do the row machine at the gym sometimes. I don't recommend it for anyone who is middle aged, out of shape and has a family history of heart disease.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:04 pm
NickFun wrote:
I prefer real rowing but I do the row machine at the gym sometimes. I don't recommend it for anyone who is middle aged, out of shape and has a family history of heart disease.

We're just about the same age.....I'm bigger than I want to be/should be, but believe it or not, I'm in very good cardovascular shape.

No heart disease in my family, as a matter of fact my cholesterol has never gotten above 120 TOTAL.....I forget what my LDL to HDL (or vice versa) ratio is, but it's in some ridiculously high number like 7:1 meaning that's pretty much something I won't die of......

Embarassingly, I've just gotten big. My parents were both really obese so most of my life I made it a priority never to get fat. Not as an excuse, but a double whammy of bad genes in that department are catching up to me....but dammit....no more....I'm gonna get back to looking like the girl on the Velveeta Box!!!!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:18 pm
No 'roids, thank God.

But on a rower I used to use ( I forget who made it), the seat wore away
a spot on my butt just above the crack. I had to get some foam rubber
to pad the seat. That was awful. But the Concept II is much more
comfortable.

I'm fortunate in that we have an execise room at my work. Among the
machines is a Concept II. So I get to use it for free.

I wouldn't buy one unless I'd used it at gym or someplace for a while and
was sure I liked it. Even with a return policy, it must be a real pain to
return something like that.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:39 pm
Oh I love it....I've used them more on than off for at least 15 years. Just that it was always in a gym before.

I suppose I could always sell it if it caused problems.... I'm pretty sure I could get back most of what it costs...I'll do some market research.

stupid butt......
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 01:58 pm
Do you monitor watts, calories, or meters?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:01 pm
I did not realize the emphasis would be on rowing machines. However, nickfun brought up real rowing and the need to be in shape. I used to row a lot when I was a teenager. One of my cousins was on the women's olympic rowing team.

I am now in my fifties. Two summers ago I was rowing a small boat and got stuck in the middle of a small lake (strong current that I could not row out of). A police motorboat had to tow me back to shore. Very embarrassing!
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 02:08 pm
Usually meters.

My stroke, can't remember how many per minute....but for the long haul is slower than "We Will We Will ROCK YOU....(3 strokes)" Laughing That's reserved for when I'm warmed up and fiesty.....I'm more of a "Fields of Barley" girl. Cool

Hey...I just looked and Craigslist, and someone was selling one for $675....new they are $850....so, you can get most of your money back.

The thing is, is you keep the chain clean, there's not too much that can go wrong....apparantly once you buy one it's forever.

Well....just looking ahead towards the end of the year.
0 Replies