Evil doesnt exist, and you cant blame people for "crime"

stuh505

Reply Thu 31 Aug, 2006 11:47 pm
Quote:
What you're saying is that we should kill everyone who does not benefit society.

aperson, please only quote the specific part you wish to reply to. it is annoying to others to see the pages jump up quickly, burying other people's comments with repetitious text.

anyway, no -- that's not what monolith said. he said we should kill people who threaten society, not those which do not greatly benefit society.

it makes a lot more sense than keeping them in suspended animation in the purgatory we call jail, not allowing them to experience life and not allowing them the escape of death. it is really quite cruel to give a life sentence.

not only is it cruel and cowardly, it drains the resources of the living making the quality of life worse for everyone.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 02:47 am
sozobe wrote:
That gets into a navel-gazing, college-kids-in-dorms-with-bongs level of semantics. It's on the level of "What is real, really? You think that you're reading these words, on a website, but how do you know? How do you know you aren't actually a puddle of ooze on a distant planet whose reality consists completely of what the evil alien overlords decide to inject into your consciousness? Huh???"

I didn't have patience with that even when I was a college kid in a dorm with bongs in the immediate vicinity.

People can be held accountable for what they choose to do, with, as I stated, rare exceptions.

That includes homosexuals being held accountable for choosing to do what feels natural and right rather than abstaining or forcing themselves to act like heterosexuals -- the only problem there is that "held accountable" has a pejorative cast to it, and I don't think there is anything wrong with homosexuality per se. I do think there is something wrong with murdering, stealing, and other varieties of crime mentioned by Monolith, and that people who commit these crimes can and should be held accountable.

There's no need to mock me. I'm not under the influence, and I'm not trying to sound deep and philosophical, or just plain weird. I'm being serious!

What is wrong with murdering and stealing? I would agree that those things are wrong in that society functions better without those things, and bad things will happen to you if you do those things (including a prison sentence, and feelings of guilt). Do you think those things or wrong in some further way?

I agree that people should be held accountable for those things, but only for practical purposes. It's practical to lock up a murderer, because we don't want any more murders. But I think you believe in freedom of the will, and I would guess that you also believe that a murderer somehow deserves punishment? Is that right? So you probably don't just think that we should keep murderers locked up for the safery of the public, but that murderers deserve to be locked up?

So if, for some reason, punishing a murderer had no practical benefit, would you still say that they should be punished? So say a murderer killed lots of people, and then decided to saw off his own arms and legs for fun, rendering him unable to kill again, would you still say that he deserves punishment? (Assume for the sake of argument that he doesn't mind having no limbs - so it's not like he's already punished himself.)
0 Replies

Monolith

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 10:05 am
sozobe wrote:
I believe that people are responsible for their actions, with some exceptions. (Insanity, for example.)

I believe that genetics and environment merely form the backdrop. Against that backdrop, people are responsible for their actions.

Then apparently you aren't one of the many people who agree with my "mainstream" ideas...?

sozobe wrote:

Genetics+environment (G+E) does not indicate "I will steal that bread." G+E indicates a greater or lesser degree of satiety, or a greater or lesser ability to earn money. Once that general backdrop is formed, people are still responsible for individual choices they make.

Right, then... let's take that example. G+E indicates one person will be hungrier than another at a given time assuming every other factor is the same. Therefore, that person will have to try harder than another to come to the same decision - to not steal bread.

One person has to "try" to make the right decision, the other has it come naturally to them. Or rather, their genetics and environment have made their choice seem natural. Why should the person who must struggle with the stealing of bread be looked down upon when they made no more of an effort to stop themselves from stealing than did the person who didn't steal bread?

When you or i think of someone who's wronged us, the idea of killing them would probably never seem like a viable option. Is that because you've made a conscious choice that murder is wrong, or because your G+E has made that choice the easiest for you? That your genetics have left you with more control of your emotions than others, so you'd never fall into a "crime of passion"? That the environment you live in teaches that life is precious and to be respected? That your reward for not killing someone outweights the reward for killing someone? i.e. not going to jail, not being ostracized by your peers, not radically altering your life, etc. Based on all of those factors, how could anyone choose differently than to avoid murder? How can you say with any certainty that it was your choice not to murder, and that you werent simply conditioned to make that choice?
0 Replies

Monolith

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 10:14 am
aperson wrote:
Monolith wrote:
aperson wrote:
Monolith wrote:
aperson wrote:
Blame sits along side punishment.

You can't say, "It's not your fault, but we're going to kill you anyway."

Why not?

If a person - who we can all agree is insane and couldnt control themselves - murders someone, then what purpose does it serve in institutionalizing them for the rest of their lives instead of killing them?

We save an innocent, as you say, human life.

But to what end?

What problems does it cause us/society to kill that person? Again, that's not a rhetorical question. If this person is oblivious to every aspect of law, then what purpose does it serve to keep them alive? Does it help society? No. Does it help this person? No. We can't cure them.

Who gains by keeping anyone who threatens society alive? Why does a persons perceived innocence make them any less worthy of exclusion from society than someone who "methodically" killed someone? Assuming both commit the same crime, both hurt society equally. So why?

What you're saying is that we should kill everyone who does not benefit society.

I'm not saying that, im asking why we shouldn't. Hopefully this will tell us why society depends on keeping those who threaten it around.
0 Replies

Xenoche

Reply Fri 1 Sep, 2006 07:53 pm
I think thats an awsome idea.

Lets kill everyone who doesnt benifit society.
The un-employed included, like me.

Solves over-population and rids the world of those scum suckers and drug addicts (like myself).

HORAY.

*clocks gun*

BANG!!
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 2 Sep, 2006 05:14 pm
*sniff sniff.
I smell pot! Smile

Anyways, I always figured the reason we put folks in prison rather than off them is to encourage peace and civility. That's what we are trying to do here right? Live together without an excess of murder amongst ourselves.
So we gotta go along with the game.

Or not. But expect that 'old folks' to get pissed and want to get you 'out of the house'.

Smile
0 Replies

Monolith

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 10:17 am
Bump.

Is everyone just frustrated at my stupidity and ignoring this thread, or did you forget about it? Mad :wink:
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 7 Sep, 2006 01:07 pm
I'm still waiting for sozobe to reply to me.
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 9 Sep, 2006 01:23 pm
Sorry it took so long to get back to you. I didn't forget but simply hadn't found the time to formulate a reply.

Monolith wrote:
… our decisions in each of those cases are not due to our immediate, rational thought, but due to who we are as a result of our genetics and our environment. Put a starving criminal and a starving child in a room with one loaf of bread, and im sure you have no doubt who would go hungry?

A "criminal" might choose to share the bread with a child while a "non-criminal" chose to hoard it for himself. We all have our own strengths and weaknesses, and some people can easily control some types of urges while failing to control others. A child molester might refrain from stealing. A glutton might refrain from rape. Empathy helps people refrain from harming others (as does social training and fear of punishment) so I suppose that you could argue that anyone lacking in this area is inherently a "criminal," or vice-versa.
Quote:
How you're raised will impact how you deal with life once you're grown, and it will play a role in the decisions you make. But since those beliefs were ingrained in you from birth, do you really have a choice? Or is that decision "forced" upon you by what you've previously been taught? Is a psycologically "normal" person who has been raised by the perfect parents ever in danger of becoming a murderer?

I believe that we have a choice, or rather a long series of choices, that determine who we are at any given time. We can change who we are if we are motivated to do so. But where does the motivation come from? The influence of family, friends, books, television, a mentor who chances into our life, a life-changing experience such as illness, accident, or loss of someone/thing we loved? Perhaps we have no control over what happens to us, but I think that we DO have some control over how we respond. A series of bad choices could turn a "normal" child into a murderer, as could a stint in the Army, drugs, mental illness, or circumstances where he felt that murder was the moral choice.
Quote:
So here you agree that people are heavily influenced by emotion - by selfishness ("immediate pleasure") - and that society has no choice but to give them a greater incentive to control themselves. So we pander to peoples selfishness by making their reward greater if they dont commit crime than if they do. Does this not suggest that people are not making rational decisions, but that instead their emotions must be coddled so that they make the right decision?

Well, yes, it IS society's job to make "good" behavior attractive and "bad" behavior undesirable. Of what use would emotions be if we did not use them to help make decisions? Why else would they have evolved?
Quote:
I agree. Just because a person isnt responsible for their actions should you allow them to run free. Just dont fool yourself into thinking you're being "just". You're doing what's necessary for your society to continue to live as it chooses, without interference from those who can't adapt to it.

What is unjust about locking up someone who cannot or will not adhere to the social contract? Using your original premise, those who do the locking up have no more control over their actions than those who are locked up. :wink:
0 Replies