Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 03:59 am
Bah I am tired of all the christain threads so I want to know what everyone thinks about Wicca?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,548 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 04:01 am
What's Wicca?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 05:15 am
http://www.religioustolerance.org/witchcra.htm

Quote:
Principles of the Wiccan Belief:
1. We practice rites to attune ourselves with the natural rhythm of life forces marked by the phases of the Moon and the seasonal Quarters and Cross Quarters.

2. We recognize that our intelligence gives us a unique responsibility towards our environment. We seek to live in harmony with Nature, in ecological balance offering fulfillment to life and consciousness within an evolutionary concept.

3. We acknowledge a depth of power far greater than that apparent to the average person. Because it is far greater than ordinary it is sometimes called "supernatural", but we see it as lying within that which is naturally potential to all.

4. We conceive of the Creative Power in the universe as manifesting through polarity-as masculine and feminine-and that this same Creative Power lies in all people, and functions through the interaction of the masculine and feminine. We value neither above the other, knowing each to be supportive of the other. We value sex as pleasure, as the symbol and embodiment of life, and as one of the sources of energies used in magickal practice and religious worship. 2

5. We recognize both outer and inner, or psychological, worlds -- sometimes known as the Spiritual World, the Collective Unconscious, Inner Planes, etc. -- and we see in the interaction of these two dimensions the basis for paranormal phenomena and magickal exercises. We neglect neither dimension for the other, seeing both as necessary for our fulfillment.

6. We do not recognize any authoritarian hierarchy, but do honor those who teach, respect those who share their greater knowledge and wisdom, and acknowledge those who have courageously given of themselves in leadership.

7. We see religion, magick and wisdom-in-living as being united in the way one views the world and lives within it -- a world view and philosophy of life which we identify as Witchcraft, the Wiccan Way.

8. Calling oneself "Witch" does not make a Witch -- but neither does heredity itself, nor the collecting of titles, degrees and initiations. A Witch seeks to control the forces within her/himself that make life possible in order to live wisely and well without harm to others and in harmony with Nature. 3

9. We believe in the affirmation and fulfillment of life in a continuation of evolution and development of consciousness, that gives meaning to the Universe we know, and our personal role within it.

10. Our only animosity towards Christianity, or toward any other religion or philosophy of life, is to the extent that its institutions have claimed to be "the only way," and have sought to deny freedom to others and to suppress other ways of religious practice and belief.

11. As American Witches, we are not threatened by debates on the history of the Craft, the origins of various terms, the origins of various aspects of different traditions. We are concerned with our present and our future.

12. We do not accept the concept of absolute evil, nor do we worship any entity known as "Satan" or "the Devil", as defined by Christian tradition. 4 We do not seek power through the suffering of others, nor do we accept that personal benefit can be derived only by denial to another.

13. We believe that we should seek within Nature that which is contributory to our health and well-being.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:51 am
Wait til Shewolf gets on. She's Wiccan. Or was Wiccan. Or knows a lot about Wiccan. I can't remember.

But she can intelligently discuss it. Right after she gets back from dancing naked in the moonlight covered in snake skin and boar blood.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:53 am
I had a wicca basket once, but the handle fell off.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 06:57 am
bm
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:58 am
( pulls up a chair)

wha?

blood?
Oh no honey, I drink that..
Bathing in it dries my skin out .
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 07:59 am
Re: Wicca
Scott777ab wrote:
Bah I am tired of all the christain threads so I want to know what everyone thinks about Wicca?

What would you like to know?

Why are you picking Wicca over other religions?

Are you looking for something that is just against the grain of society?

Or are you looking for something fullfilling?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:02 am
shewolf turned me into a newt.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 08:05 am
then i decorated a condom for Chai calling it her sleeping bag

she now lives in a 10 gallon tank right next to my pet bat.

Both are watched by my dragons at night so they dont escape
0 Replies

Scorpia

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:02 am
Shewolf,

Do you have any preferred websites or documentation? We are beginning an experiment at home with out teenage children. We do not force them to go to church so we set up a weekly religious discussion for reviewing all religions. We are beginning with pagan religions. Any help would be appreciated. I'm going to keep watching this post for more information and print for discussion with the teenagers. Thanks for starting this one!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 09:08 am
Give me an idea of what you are wanting to share with the kids and I can try to post some specific information.

Are you wanting history?
Basic "rules"?
Books?
0 Replies

Scott777ab

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 10:28 am
shewolfnm wrote:
Give me an idea of what you are wanting to share with the kids and I can try to post some specific information.

Are you wanting history?
Basic "rules"?
Books?

Hello Shewolf I was just getting tired of all the BIBLE discussions no one seems to want to try to discuss any thing other than Islam Christianity and Buddahism and personally it has just become a bore.

Same agruements all over again and again and no one moving in any direction.

I mostly Just wanted to know what OTHERS thought about Wicca.
Like do they think its a lot of BS or what?
And if its BS why do they think so?
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 11:35 am
Scott777ab wrote:
I was just getting tired of all the BIBLE discussions no one seems to want to try to discuss any thing other than Islam Christianity and Buddahism and personally it has just become a bore.

That is one of the main resons I never visit the spirituality and religion forum. Ran across this thread in the 'new posts' section.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 12:55 pm
Scott777ab wrote:
shewolfnm wrote:

Are you wanting history?
Basic "rules"?
Books?

Hello Shewolf I was just getting tired of all the BIBLE discussions no one seems to want to try to discuss any thing other than Islam Christianity and Buddahism and personally it has just become a bore.

I mostly Just wanted to know what OTHERS thought about Wicca.
Like do they think its a lot of BS or what?
And if its BS why do they think so?

In that case, let's also talk about other forms of Paganism.

I consider myself a pagan, but not a wiccan.

Can it be said that all Wiccans are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Wiccans?
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 01:02 pm
Quote:
Can it be said that all Wiccans are Pagans, but not all Pagans are Wiccans?

absolutly
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 01:50 pm
As I thought...

However, most reading I come across about paganism somehow connects it to wicca at some point.

I wish it would be understood that the two do not always go hand in hand.

I suppose I'm more of a metro-pagan, wouldn't you say shewolf?
You, on the other hand, are an uber-wiccan.

I like that......metro-pagan.

The crime fighting team of Uber-Wiccan and Metro-Pagan. Coming to a Whole Foods near you.

Uber-Wiccan: C'mon Metro-Pagan, we've got to make sure there's enough meditative crystals available for the public to buy at the Pecan Street Art Festival!

Metro-Pagan: Wait a minute! I'm right in the middle of my sushi lunch! Good thing the festival is down hill from here, I can coast the car, but still run the air conditioner.

Uber-Wiccan: Good thinking! I didn't want to get my robes of enchantment all sweaty.
0 Replies

Dorothy Parker

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 01:54 pm
Is that what that scary 70's film is about? The Wicca Man. They are re-making it with Nicholas Cage apparently.

x
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 02:38 pm
Quote:
I wish it would be understood that the two do not always go hand in hand.

Think of it like this

Most people think that Southern baptist, catholics, Zionists, Methodists .. blah blah blah.. are all the same.

But they are not.
They are thrown under the same Trinity worshipping cloak, as they recognize jesus / god / and the holy spirit as creator , but when you get down to the nitty gritty, they are completely different.

I am sort of hanging out in the wings on posting anything about my religion because I feel strange when it is put into the spot light.

I believe that religion is a personal decision made only by the person inhabiting the skin, and noone else.

I don't like to preach, teach, or instruct as religion is a decision someone makes based on their own life choices, life experience and common sense.

Religion is not meant to be spread to the masses like Miracle Whip, but rather passed privately like Grey Poupon.

I am willing to answer questions... but the hang up is that my religion isnt exactly Wicca... though... that is where I got my beginings.
It served as a great spring board in to my current religious beliefs and practices.

Wicca, like most other "pagan labeled" religions are truly up to the individual as for what is done, what is truly believed, and what it is about.

There is a basis for almost all of them and it is pretty simple.
Do as you wish, harm noone.

There are no sexual rules.
There are no churches
There are no boundries
But you live by the 3 fold law.
What you give out, comes back to you 3 fold, so you better watch your self.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 24 Aug, 2006 02:40 pm
exactly.

except in mine there's no anal sex.
0 Replies