Religion versus human dignity.

real life

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:46 pm
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:
JLNobody wrote:
Cannibalism is not so bad with garlic and a nice chianti. Otherwise, it's grotesque. But morality has nothing to do with it.

No morality involved in killing someone, JLN?

This coming from someone who supports the death penalty?

Absolutely.

And there is a huge difference between killing someone who is guilty of a heinous crime and has had due process and the repeated chance to defend himself and save his life............

..............and killing an innocent person who has not even been accused of a crime and has had NO due process, nor opportunity to save his life.

Do you not see the difference?

You would not sanction an execution of a murderer who had not due process, but you heartily approve the legalization of abortion of an innocent.

Nor would you put a dog down in the barbaric and horrific way that you defend abortionists for using.

If someone were to cut a dog limb from bloody limb with a razor sharp instrument, or submerge it in saline solution till it inhaled the burning saline into the lungs and died painfully, or puncture its skull and suck out the brains with a vacuum, then you would be screaming for jail time on animal abuse charges.

But abortionists do these things every day.

If we performed executions of convicted criminals this way, you would be livid.

How is it that you cannot oppose the painful, bloody and barbaric extermination of an innocent , but defend the rights of the guilty to avoid such treatment?
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:54 pm
snood wrote:
Its very basic, RL - no use beating your head against the wall. Some people believe that good and evil exist in the universe, some think its all a construct of the mind.

If it makes you feel any better, I believe evil exists.

I know you do.

It is amazing that no matter the example, whether cannibalism, abortion or terrorists .......

........there are these who cannot bring themselves to say that ANYTHING is evil.

It's just different, that's all.

They cannot bring themselves to acknowledge any objective standard of right and wrong for anything, and the reason is obvious.

If anything anywhere is always wrong then there is a standard that they must be accountable to as well.

The crack in the dam will bring in a flood of thoughts that they cannot bear to think.

Their entire worldview depends on denying evil.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 09:59 pm
You think you have the right to decide who lives and dies then? You can take a life and feel justified in doing so?

If there are better, less brutal, more certain ways to perform abortions, then count me in, I'll support it.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:04 pm
real life wrote:
snood wrote:
Its very basic, RL - no use beating your head against the wall. Some people believe that good and evil exist in the universe, some think its all a construct of the mind.

I know you do.

It is amazing that no matter the example, whether cannibalism, abortion or terrorists .......

........there are these who cannot bring themselves to say that ANYTHING is evil.

They cannot bring themselves to acknowledge any objective standard of right and wrong for anything, and the reason is obvious.

If anything anywhere is always wrong then there is a standard that they must be accountable to as well.

The crack in the dam will bring in a flood of thoughts that they cannot bear to think.

But you persist, knowing that they won't acknowledge it. that, to me, is also unsettling.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:10 pm
snood wrote:
real life wrote:
snood wrote:

I know you do.

But you persist, knowing that they won't acknowledge it. that, to me, is also unsettling.

If they cannot give me a reasonable argument, it is a safe bet that they are unable to convince themselves as well.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 10:26 pm
Do you really think you're going to debate or corner someone into a relationship with God?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:10 pm
Real Life, is it immoral to eat murders who have been executed by the state? (with garlic and chianti, of course)
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:10 pm
Real Life, is it immoral to eat murders who have been executed by the state? (with garlic and chianti, of course)
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:20 pm
JL, with so many hungry people in the world, it would be immoral NOT to, wouldn't it?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:41 pm
Exactly, Eorl: Waste not, want not.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:44 pm
Whoooaaa... Are we talking kill 'em and eat 'em, or wait till they peacefully pass on, and then we eat 'em?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:54 pm
echi, if we wait til they die of old age, their meat will be stringy and dry. Best to kill those we can, according to RL, kill with impunity. Then we can eat them without offending RL's moral sensibility. Just a modest proposal.
0 Replies

echi

Reply Sun 24 Sep, 2006 11:58 pm
So, first we gotta convict 'em, then kill 'em, and THEN we can cook 'em up and eat 'em?
That's a lot of hassle just for some people meat.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 12:19 am
No, the point is to punish them permenantly, (even though it's "evil"s fault they did wrong) but not to let the meat go to waste. Think of it as a kind of bonus...."value adding" if you like. A barbeque at a wake will become the accepted norm.
0 Replies

Baph

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 04:52 am
I don't even know why I'm bothering to take the time to post on this website. There is obviously such a time DIFFERENCE however I do believe that I share similar views with some of you. Rolling Eyes

I may decide to poke my head every now and then :wink:

And I may even work out how to operate this website. At the moment I'm finding it extremely difficult to "begin a new theme" maybe I need to take time to find out. I have very personal issues to deal with in my "real" life -

so sorry for that...

I was thinking starting a theme about "artificial intelligence" and all its implications might be appropriate. I haven't made my mind up yet about if I should "voiceify" my opinions on the airwaves.
0 Replies

Baph

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 05:16 am
echi wrote:
Whoooaaa... Are we talking kill 'em and eat 'em, or wait till they peacefully pass on, and then we eat 'em?

Would you like to MEET me and make such a statement. I don't know if I am receiving your statement correctly. The implication I took from that was very simplistic. It involved a very EVIL perspective. I might be wrong maybe you just have a WICKED side, in which case there is no problem (Sometimes I feel I'm talking to myself) - especially when the sites I am on are not fully "live and interactive".

OR... artificial intelligence at its most basic level?

Do not make me SCREAM wiv anga 2day!!!!

I was wondering how to access personal messages on this site, and start new threads.

tho' I is sure if me bovered ta take the time. I could activate those areas of the site too :wink:

*BUT only if the power that controls my life allows that [laugh out loud]

**Realise there's another mind active around these parts as well Cool .

I don't know if this was the right thing to do but I told a few powerful people about this web site (important people in my world). However since this web site ALSO occupies a portion of my world....
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 06:39 am
snood wrote:
Do you really think you're going to debate or corner someone into a relationship with God?

No. I haven't even discussed a relationship with God.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:21 am
real life wrote:

The discussion here isn't over whether you call something evil or not, it's over whether something is inherently 'evil'.

We all know that you can call something evil. And I for one think that terrorism and cannibalism are pretty awful things. I just don't call them evil because evil to me implies some type of supernatural inherent quality to things, while it's perfectly obvious that 'evil' is subjective, not inherent.

real life wrote:

Only the concept of inherent evil. Whereas your entire world view seems to revolve around the assumption of inherent evil.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 07:28 am
It is interesting to see the insistence on the use of the word evil.

There are two dichotomies which an be appealed to: good vs. bad, or good vs. evil.

Good vs. bad is pretty much a value neutral dichotomy in absolute terms. It's bascially a matter of like vs. don't like. Hot showers are good, cold showers are bad. Some people might like cold showers, though, and wouldn't sign on to that judgment. Such judgments are easily recognized as subjective.

The good vs. evil dichotomy, though, is, in absolute terms, anything be neutral. It implies that that which is good is always good, as compared to that which is evil is always bad. I understand completely Rosborne's objections. I have no problem with a good vs. bad dicthotomy, and have no problem with accepting that a consensus decision of society might make that which is no offense to me a "bad thing"--prostitution, drug use--there are any of several specific things to which society objects in general, which don't offend me, and which i accept to have been socially adjudged to be bad.

But the word "evil" is always chaged with the aura of an absolute judgment, a contention of objective reality. I see all such judgments as subjective, and have no problem with accepting social sanction on things to which i don't object. I have a definite problem with the absolutism of claiming a subject judgment about that which is evil is objective, because it will then never be amenable to amendment, or the rejection of the definition.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 25 Sep, 2006 08:29 am
JLNobody wrote:
You forgot the fava beans, plebe.
0 Replies