LAW AND ORDER VS. L & O: CRIMINAL INTENT OR SEXUAL VICTIMS

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:19 pm
was reading about CSI vs CSI Miami and thought of these 3 as well. Anyone care to respond? I like all 3, but in different ways + the plain old L&O is available on TNT as well. However, I must admit that Ice-T gives me shivers on L&O: Sexual Victims Unit . . .
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,962 • Replies: 28
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 05:34 pm
sweetcomplication- I could go on and on about Law & Order- all of them. I am totally hooked on those shows. I am a little old to have known Ice-T in his prior incarnation, so his persona holds no terror for me...........and he's a pretty decent actor.

I think that in their unique ways, all three L&O are wonderful. At first I didn't care for the guy on "Criminal Intent". He always looked like he needed a shower and a shave. But I have gotten used to him, and find him quite effective in his role.

Mariska Hargitay has turned out to be a fine actress. I remember her mother, Jane Mansfield, who was a hilarious comedienne, perfect for the 1950s.

When Chris Noth left L&O, I was absolutely devastated. I didn't like any of the other police partner that followed, except for now. I think that Ed is a great foil for Jerry Orbach, and he has really come a long way since he started.

After Steven Hill left, I could not stand Dianne Weist. She is a fine actress, but absolutely miscast in the part of the DA. Steve Hill was absolutely perfect in the role. I was so happy when Weist was gone. At first I did not like the new DA (stilll can't remember his name). His southernness seemed so contrived, that I thought that the producers were just looking to attract a southern crowd. In the time that he is there though, he has certainly improved, now fits into his part, and is believable.

I love CSI, but won't watch CSI Miami. Watched it once, and found it to be a real turn off.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 07:03 pm
Guess what, Phoenix: that D.A. is former Senator Thompson of, I think, Tennessee (yuck!).

I agree with you regarding Steven Hill - loved his dry wit. It seemed his answer to everything was a grimace and a tuna sandwich.

When Chris Noth left, I too felt devastated, but eventually I would forgive each new "cop" and come to like him, too.

I also was not happy when Dr. Elizabeth Olivet was replaced by that smarmy male shrink.

Yes, Ice-T does have some baggage, but I think he's learned and grown a lot over the past 10 years or so, so I've just let it go. Of course, the fact that he is so damn sexy may have had a bit to do with my ability to do so Embarrassed . . .
0 Replies

Hermione

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 11:36 am
As an english contributory to this forum I would like to add my views on both CSI's. We get them on cable TV here and won't miss them if we can.
I think CSI in Las Vegas has the edge but only because I think Grissom is absolutely delicious and sooooo laid back. Also I was in Vegas last October, having waited years to get there. It was my best Holiday ever and I was utterly speechless at the Grand Canyon. I had no words to describe that wonderful scenery. So everytime I watch CSI I can identify with all the locations like Lake Mead and Red Rock Canyon.
However I think CSI Miami is almost as good. If only that blonde one (can't remember her name) would speak in a lower voice.
And as for Law & Order, well I won't miss that either. You yanks do make some great series.
By the way, is Marietta Hargitey in Law & Order the great Jayne Mansfields daughter by Mickey Hargitey.
Can anyone confirm that for me. It's just a guess but I would like to know.

Congrats on all three of these brilliant series.
0 Replies

Hermione

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 11:38 am
Between writing and submitting my post someone answered my question. Mariska Hargitey IS Jayne Manfields daughter.

Thanks. you made my day.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 12:08 pm
For those of you who don't know who Mariska Hargitay's mom was, here are some pics of Jayne Mansfield What a completely different image from mother to daughter!:

http://www.angelfire.com/nj/jaynemansfield/jaynegallery2.html
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 01:06 pm
I love all three L&O's equally. I'll even watch the reruns.

Who do you like better? Sam Waterston or Michael Moriarty? Which Asst. DA has been your favorite?

(My votes are for Sam Waterston and Jill Hennessy.)
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 06:03 pm
mac11- As we "speak" I am watching L&O on TNT. I was very disappointed, at first, when Michael Moriarity left. To me, he was perfect. On the beginning I thought that Sam Waterston was a bit hysterical for my taste. Over the years though, he has grown into the role, and I like him.

The perfect L&O cast according to me:

Jerry Orbach
Chris Noth
Epetha Merkerson

Jill Hennessy
Michael Moriarity
Steven Hill
Elizabeth Olivet
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Thu 5 Jun, 2003 11:09 pm
Mac, once again, we see eye to eye: my preferences are definitely Sam Waterston and Jill Hennessey. I love the fact that they were supposed to be having an affair, so subtle! As silly as this will sound, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch Jill's current show; she'll always be Claire to me!

Phoenix: very close, very close. . . I would add Richard Brooks to the attorneys, but Jill still has to be there as well along with Sam rather than Michael Moriarty. As far as cops go, I agree except I'm not sure about Chris Noth. I was very miffed when he was let go, I'll admit, but there's been some fine replacements as well. Yes to Jerry Orbach and Epetha Merkerson, Steven Hill and Elizabeth Olivet, of course, without question!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 07:16 am
Almost all of the past cast members have been great, IMO.

I agree with you, sweet, about that smarmy male shrink vs. Olivet. (I believe she left to have a baby and stay home for a while.) I was happy when she showed up on L&O:SVU.

And I'm not that impressed with our current blonde ADA, Elisabeth Rohm aka Serena, or the current DA, Fred Dalton Thompson aka Arthur Branch. Though I'll probably get used to them if they last long enough... Rolling Eyes

Dianne Wiest is one of my favorite actresses. She was not very impressive in her two seasons on L&O, though. I felt that they never let her do anything - she never got to act!
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 06:46 pm
Oh, Mac, please try not to get used to Fred Thompson, the former senator . . . sorry, I have a hard time enjoying someone's performance when I have evidence of their nasty political views and record!
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 10:25 pm
sweetcomplication - actually, old Fred's been acting for some time, and has been in several movies. What I had read about him was that he left the Senate because he couldn't stand it - and he was never the one-man loyal republican.

Aside from that - I like him in the role. And even after all these years I have a problem with Waterston. So self-righteous. But I love these shows, and watch them re-run after re-run.

Mariska Hargitay is supposedly very close to her father. What bone structure.

And Jerry Orbach is the perfect NYC cop. He started out as a singer, with a fine voice. I don't have a problem with Ice-T either. Matter of fact, I like him in that role. There's balance and pitch in those series, it's like ensembel acting.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:03 am
Oh, thank you, Mama; I am now free to enjoy Mr. Thompson, who I have tried so hard to dislike!

Again, Ice-T can leave his shoes under my bed any time he wants :wink: .

Jerry Orbach is just perfect in this role. Did you see him as the dad in "Dirty Dancing"?
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 11:52 am
Sweetcomplication (jesus I wish you folk would pick shorter handles) said Ice T has grown over the last ten years, for gawds sake how far behind this story are we Britside????
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 12:36 pm
kev, I believe that L&O:SVU has been on the air for four seasons so far. I think that Sweet was referring to his overall career...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 6 Sep, 2003 01:17 pm
I like all the Law and Order series. I had this discussion with the folks recently, who also watch, but they prefer SVU to CI...not big Vincent Dinofrio fans, while we are.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Sun 7 Sep, 2003 04:08 pm
Not sure if we have C.I. what is that???
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 06:48 am
Law & Order: Criminal Intent will be starting its third season this fall. It's good! I really like Vincent D'Onofrio.

Link to L&O:CI at IMDb
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 01:52 am
Mac, I taped SVU last night and what was advertised starting friday? C.I.
What a coincidence.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 08:26 am
cool Cool
0 Replies