Water Softener Location

nots3w

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 09:43 pm
I asked this question in another forum but there's not much traffic there so I didn't get many responses. I'll try here.

I want to install a water softener before we begin to remodel our three bathrooms. Before I get into the type and size of softener, I want to do the plumbing to the softener's future location. I have two options for placement of the softener in the basement of our home:

The first option is to install it near the middle of the basement in the furnace room. The advantage (?) is that I can direct the softener's backwash down the floor drain and into the septic system. I only need to run a single cold hard water line from the supply entry point (after the backyard hose bib) to the softener. From there, I can reconnect the soft water line into the plumbing system on the cold side of the hot water heater. I don't have to run a second line all the way back to where I started.

The other option is to install it where the water supply enters the house. It would involve far less plumbing but there is no floor drain there. The closest (only) floor drain is the one in the furnace room, 30' away. Since we plan to finish the floor with Pergo one day, I don't want to count on that as a route across the floor for overflow or backwashing. There is a plumbing stack coming down from the first floor laundry room, but dumping into that would require a check valve to prevent laundry waste water from entering the softener. I don't like that idea much. I could run the backwash line up and out of the basement but I'd have to deal with directing the backwash water to a dry creek that runs across our property. That, and preventing dirt and critters from getting into or clogging the backwash line. Then there's the issue of overflow across the to-be-finished floor. I'm also concerned about the long term ability of the softener's pump to push the backwash water that far up.

I'm not sure which is riskier, dumping the salinated backwash into the septic system or pumping it up 8' to get it out of the basement. We are a family of two adults so we don't use as much water and won't be backwashing the softener as often as a family of six would. We are on a well, if that matters.

Which is the preferred way to handle this? Are there pitfalls I'm not thinking of? Is there another way to do it?

Thanks,

Ray
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,643 • Replies: 5
No top replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 10:24 pm
Long drain lines produce back pressure causing problems.
I would go with plan #1.
Back feed treated water to the cold water line feeding the water heater.

Softener backwash will not harm your septic system.
Make sure you install a metered softener...

HTH ~
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 10:29 pm
Sometime in the future I would like to understand the complexities of the water softeners in such a manner as H20 Man
0 Replies

nots3w

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:08 am
Thanks and more questions.
Thanks, H2O_MAN.

Another thought that occurred to me is to put the softener in the first floor laundry room (above grade) in the garage. It's heated and protected but I'd have to add on to the room, taking up garage space. That would avoid the septic tank, but I'd have to bury a drain to the dry creek and get into some structural construction in the garage. Way more work than I had hoped for to soften our water.

H2O_MAN wrote:
Softener backwash will not harm your septic system.

That's what I was concerned about. I've read several articles on studies that have been done but it seems the jury is still out (at least in the minds of some experts). I hear of people who do NOT recommend doing that but only because it sounds wrong to them. They haven't actually done it. Then I hear of people who have done it with no apparent problems so far. The only thing that would sway me from going this route is to hear from someone whose septic system had problems directly related to their softener discharge. It seems there are other risks going any other way.

H2O_MAN wrote:
Make sure you install a metered softener...

Absolutely. That should reduce the amount of backwash going into the septic.

Here's another thing I noticed and do not understand. It appears that the brine tank overflow is essentially a hole with a hose attached. Water gets too high, it overflows out the hose. The other end of the hose will be directed to the floor drain. Depending on how I anchor it, it might actually be in contact with the floor drain. So what stops insects or bacteria from entering the overflow hose and making their way into the brine tank, the contents of which are pumped into the main tank to regen it? Correct me if I'm wrong about this, but it seems like germs, bacteria, etc. could find their way into the water supply as it passes through the system.

One more question while I have your eyes: What does a septic tank aerator do? When we bought this house, the tank was pumped and inspected and the non-working aerator was replaced. I know it stirs things up in the tank, but that seems counter-productive to getting things to settle to the bottom. What's its intended purpose?

Thanks,

Ray
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 01:36 pm
Choose the ultimate location based on long term serviceability and protection from the elements.

Drain to the septic system or a large dimeter drainage line that runs to the creek. I would make half of this line perforated.
I sometimes tie into buried downspout lines that run away from the house.

Modern brine tank flow controllers have float activated brine shut-off valves.
These are much better than overflow drains.

I suspect the septic tank aerator aids in healthy microbe growth...
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Reply Fri 20 Oct, 2006 12:14 pm
Plus...
As mentioned, the best installation location is based on long term serviceability and protection from the elements.

Plus, you want a grounded electrical outlet, easy access to a vented drain and you do not want the water treatment equipment next to the water heater.

If you are on a private well ~ the equipment must be installed after the pressure tank.
A large, walk-in well house is a great place to install equipment if it meets the criteria laid out above.

HTH ~
0 Replies