London A2Kers Can Tipple Absinthe Next Month!

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 11:14 am
Quote:
Potent Absinthe Mix Stirs Up Controversy
Fri May 30,10:20 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - Absinthe, the fiery tipple with purported hallucinogenic properties, has stirred up fresh controversy in Britain where it will go on sale in nightclubs and bars next month packaged to be mixed with beer.

"Deco" comes with a small bottle of Kronenbourg lager with a shot of absinthe attached. The idea is to down the 45 percent-strong absinthe and drink the five-percent strength lager as a chaser.

Popularly held responsible for painter Vincent Van Gogh's mutilation of his own ear, absinthe has been banned in many countries but was never outlawed in Britain.

Campaigners for sensible drinking attacked manufacturer Scottish Courage for launching the potent tipple, the latest in a long line of so-called designer drinks.

Charity Alcohol Concern said it was concerned "Deco" would add to the problem of binge drinking among young people.

Scottish Courage said it encouraged the product to be consumed sensibly and said it would not be available off the shelf in supermarkets.

"The actual alcohol content in a Deco is 2.5 units," said David Jones, a company spokesman. "This is actually slightly less than the 2.8 units in a pint of Kronenbourg or lager of similar strength."

Taken with ice water and a lump of sugar, the bitter drink became popular in 19th century Europe. It was distilled with a blend of herbs and was nicknamed "the green fairy" because of its emerald hue.

But many countries banned it after an outcry by the temperance movement amid fears it caused insanity.

Irish writer Oscar Wilde described its devastating kick.

"After the first glass you see things as you wish they were," absinthe lover Wilde wrote. "After the second, you see things as they are not."

"Finally you see things as they really are, and that is the most horrible thing in the world," Wilde concluded.

I have a few questions:

Have any of you British folks tasted absinthe? Is its potency as reported?

When are we having a GREAT BIG A2K gathering in London? Laughing
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,418 • Replies: 11
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 11:32 am
Bah, it is all marketing...the criminal ingredient 'back in the days' was wormwood, which in large enough quantity is poison (and which gave the drink it's bitterness). I believe that modern technology can control the overdoses of old. However....legend breeds popularity, so Absinthe is being revived. My guess, modern absinthe is not too far off from Pernod or Pastis, but it has a great story behind it Very Happy
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 01:41 pm
Phoenix, That still doesn't negate the idea of another Great A2K London Gathering. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:03 pm
Re: London A2Kers Can Tipple Absinthe Next Month!
Phoenix32890 wrote:
[

When are we having a GREAT BIG A2K gathering in London? Laughing

I'll pass on the absinthe, thanks.

The next London A2K meet is 11 June Razz - but some of the stars of the previous meet, c..i., Walter Hinteler and the McTags, can't make it!

Waaaahhhhhh! Crying or Very sad

Come on over, Phoenix!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 03:37 pm
margo, It's too much of a 'rush' job. You're going to disappear rather quickly from London, aren't you? c.i.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 1 Jun, 2003 10:44 pm
yep!!!

With me, it's a one-night stand!
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 10:54 am
Absinthe is not tasty -- I was dying to try it in Prague, did, and was not impressed. But the story behind it is great (and is the inspiration for my avatar, the green(ish) fairy). I've heard that, like Cav said, the wormwood content is not what it used to be and it would be hard to achieve the hallucinogenic properties that the old artists experienced. I must say that even though it tastes bad, it isn't heinous -- I've tasted much worse.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 2 Jun, 2003 11:23 am
Times back, when people from Val-de-Travers still destilled their original Absinth, I tried some.
I really was "introduced" drinking it: not more than a small glass, otherwise .... (Convulsions, hallucinations, mental deterioration, and psychoses are said to be by thujone, a toxic chemical present in wormwood).

It's possible to get absinthe in the EU again since 1988 by EU law88/3888, which became national law later in several states.
35mg/Kg thujone are allowed in bitter alcoholics, 10mg/Kg in those with more than 25Vol% and 5mg/Kg in those below 25Vol%.

Of course, Pernod, Raki, Anisette, Ouzo etc without thujone could be bought everywhere all the time.

http://www.eabsinth.de/images/Bild2ani.gif
0 Replies

rayray

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 03:12 pm
i drank absinte every weekend when i was in japan. i'd take shots if i was at a club and its was strong (warms u right up) but when i had my own bottle i' mix it with sugar and water. good mix i got the recipie of some website. anyway i wouldn't be seeing pink elephants or anything, but i felt high and it fuct up my vision (if i drank enough). i loved it. so much that i smuggled two bottles back to the states and recelebrated my birthday with my friends.

for the sugar and water mix there was a special way to do it.
1. pour a glass of absinte
2. get a spoonful of sugar and dip it in the absinte
3. light the spoon (with sugar and absinte) till it boils and stars dripping into the glass
4. pour water over the spoon and into the absinte and stir in.

feels like your cooking up crack. but tastes great and really axe-entuates the black licorice flavor. for fun, try it in the dark cuz it the flame looks dope. especially when the boiling sugar drips of and lights the absinte in the glass. well let me know if anyone tries it. later
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:46 pm
I love your green fairy, Walter! Too glam!

RayRay, I've heard about drinking it that way -- maybe that's where I went wrong. It seemed like too much trouble (and I was drinking it in a nice little cafe -- a little more subdued than a club) and so I just mixed it with sugar and water. I brought a bottle back, too, so my friends could try it! Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 07:02 am
I still like a nice Pernod on ice in the summer. Love how it goes all cloudy....very refreshing, but you reek all day of anise.
0 Replies

hebba

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2003 10:03 am
Absinthe is available in a café near my home.A good pastis is much finer I think;if one is into that kind of stuff.
0 Replies