Can anyone recommend a good blender?

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:21 am
I have had a hand-me-down blender for nearly a decade (it's at least 20 years old). The lid was broken, the base was uncleanable. Finally, the glass pitcher chipped. So, it's time for a new one.

Can anyone recommend a good, low-price brand and/or model? I don't want to spend more than $50, a glass pitcher is essential (not plastic). I don't really like or understand the super tall, skyscraper designs.

Not an exciting topic, to be sure.... but any help is appreciated.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 3,012 • Replies: 22
No top replies

najmelliw

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:23 am
Well, dear, without any false modesty, I can assure you I was known as a pretty good blender. Yeah, I could blend with the best of em. Of course, it seems to be an inborn skill for most men...
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 11:27 am
Hmmmm..... curious.....
0 Replies

Jose Cuervo

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 01:37 pm
HI Lil' K,

We have an old Waring that just won't quit. They're the best. I'm just hoping we never break the glass container cuz now most are plastic.

They have a gas-powered one now called the 'Tailgator' you can take anywhere- looks like fun! According to the manufacturer, "It's the ultimate in Big Boy Toys putting the FUN in Functional"

checkout: http://www.totallygross.com/
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 19 Aug, 2006 03:15 pm
I never buy a power tool without checking the user reviews on Amazon. They tend to be pretty accurate. Blenders aren't in the Consumer Reports index, so no help there.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:18 am
Jose - that's ridiculous! That website has it right - total testosterone. Yep, finding a good one with a glass pitcher than doesn't cost too muc might be tricky.

Roger, I'll go check Amazon (hadn't even thought to).
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:24 am
Dangit! So far I've looked at 3 blenders and none had reviews! But, one looks pretty good from where I sit.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:32 am
Oster is an ok brand, yes?
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 09:51 am
I have an "Osterizer."

12 speeds, low and high settings, though I can't really discern a difference between most of them.

Glass pitcher, rubbermade-like top.

Probably in the 50-60 dollar Canadian range at the time a few years back, though I can't remember exactly.

I use it mostly for crushing ice etc. It's O.K., but I don't love it. Too sluggish now and I surely haven't overused it.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:04 am
Restauranteurs seem to prefer Hamilton Beach blenders and mixers. Commercial kitchen equipment would be too expensive (but would probably last you forEVER), so here's the consumer line:

Hamilton Beach blenders

If you click on the first picture, for instance, you'll see that it has a glass jar, and if you click on the ShopDirect link, you can get it for $49. But there's lots of other ones there too.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:05 am
Hey JoeBlow - I just bought an Oster! I won't be doing much ice crushing - I used the old blender mostly for making (iceless) smoothies. and pesto. This blender comes with a little food processor attachment for chopping nuts (which I now do by hand) and maybe even making pesto (better in a food processor).
0 Replies

Joeblow

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 10:27 am
I hope you love it forever! It should be perfect for what you use it for, especially with the food processor attachment. Ice in small batches is likely ok anyway, 'cause now that I think of it, I probably overloaded it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 12:54 pm
Thanks JoeBlow, I'll let you know what I think when I get it. I used the amazon free shipping option which should take forever to get it here.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 01:41 pm
Frozen drinks..woohoo! Wink

Jose--nice to see ya guy! (quinn here but, MassCass in another life) Smile
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 20 Aug, 2006 06:00 pm
Heehee... how are you feeling today? Not really a blended drink drinker, myself. I take my marg.s over ice.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 04:39 am
Feeling fine on a lovely Mon morning. Thanks for asking. Tequilla...ugh. Smile
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 03:42 pm
According to Consumer Reports, the Braun PowerMax MX2050 is a Best Buy. They list the approximate price as $50. It scores "very good" for convenience, icy drinks, puree and "excellent" for smoothies. It has a glass jar, removable blade, dial controls and the jar is dishwasher-safe. It receives the highest overall score, at 78.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 03:48 pm
I posted above before I saw there was a page 2. Embarrassed

Consumer Reports rates the Oster Model 6646 with an overall score of 53, which is indicated as "good". They list the approximate price as $50. It is rated as "good" for convenience and icy drinks, "very good" for smoothies and puree. It has a glass jar, pushbutton controls. The jar is not indicated as being dishwasher-safe.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 03:48 pm
Hopefully that info will help the next person who stops buy for advice! I looked at some brauns - I think I disliked the dial controls. Do you have one?
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 04:03 pm
Now I have a KitchenAid, actually. I had an Oster with pushbutton control for years (20+ years). It was/is okay. (It's down the basement now in case my son or daughter want it when they move out.) It didn't crush ice very well, and as Joeblow said, I couldn't detect much difference in the speeds. It never broke down. It was ... okay.
0 Replies