msolga

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 04:30 am
@Endymion,
Quote:
War will continue as long as men continue to get rich from it. War will continue as long as we are able to convince ourselves that the murder of civilians is worth the price of 'success'. And until we are brave enough and wise enough to turn around to these rich warmongers, these corporate criminals in a world crying out for justice, and tell them that if they want to go on warring against innocent nations, killing innocent civilians without shame - well... from now on – until there is real cause - they can fight their wars without us.
Why should we suffer social and economical hardships to pay for their greedy ambitions? Why should we kill innocent, poor people, in order to fill the bulging pockets of these cowards?

Yes.
But how do we free ourselves of their tyranny? (I don't expect you to have an answer to that, Endy. It is something I often find myself contemplating.)
The vast majority of people in my country did not want to wage war on Iraq, we did not want to be part of that invasion ... yet it happened, despite the mass demonstrations, the opinion polls , the outrage of ordinary people ...
We didn't believe the lies but we were part of that obscenity anyway.
Endymion

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:24 am
@spendius,

I predict that one day the trillions spent on war will be redirected along with our armies - to the deserts of the world where we will build giant solar panels and green houses and begin our transformation from global suicide to global enlightenment.

Our armed forces could be the man power that saves mankind - now THAT would be a revolution

I bet you fifty quid that before you die you'll see the beginning of it
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:27 am
@msolga,
Hi Olga

Well, I think it is different for every country, but most important in the world today is the US stance.

Obviously the people who understand the Industrial War Complex and want to do something about it are squeezed out of the mainstream press and out of the debates, too. (The media being run by the uber-rich who have a lot more to loose than the rest of us).

So... what to do?

For me, one of the most important politicians in America is Dennis Kucinich. Ever since i first saw him standing alone in the senate, telling it like it is - i was struck by how much of a politician he really is. He is like politicians of old.

I've read a whole load of his speeches over the last five years and sometimes he has been outstanding but without a significant following, he is hardly noticed in the news -

Right now he is working at trying to put together a plan, based on The Science of Human Relations, as a first step towards a more peaceful world -

KUCINICH: Well, the big lie is that we're not capable of peace. The big lie is that war is inevitable. War is not inevitable. Peace is inevitable if we are willing to go about the painstaking work of human relations, what Franklin Roosevelt called the science of human relations, it's up to us to work on a daily basis in building.

You can read or listen to what he has to say here:

http://www.therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=5175

Here's what he has to say about the war

Quote:
“The War in Afghanistan has now surpassed the number of years we spent in Vietnam, making it the longest war in U.S. history. This grim landmark must serve as an awakening for the human and financial costs of the war. Our continued presence in Afghanistan foments resentment toward us, undermines the human rights of the Afghan people, and places our troops in harm’s way. Prior to the Memorial Day break, the House passed a bill authorizing $159.3 billion for the continuation of the wars in Iraq, Afghanistan, and the so-called “war on terror” with little-to-no discussion of the cost our constituents must bear to keep the wars going. The war is creating a new generation of Americans who will experience the trauma of war, like Vietnam veterans before them. Billions of dollars go toward our supposed nation-building in Afghanistan. Yet millions of Americans struggle as funds for essential social services get cut.

The greatest casualties of this long war are the children of the world for whom war becomes as ordinary as the sunrise. Children, who go to bed hungry each night, who are denied the fullness of health, who are ill-housed, ill-clothed, who do not have a chance for a decent education, whose opportunities in life are limited because the resources of nations are squandered in unnecessary wars based on lies. What a terrible legacy this generation of leaders will leave for the children of the world unless we finally come to an understanding of the utter futility of war, unless we challenge the underlying thinking that leads to war, unless we firmly explore the science of human relations which leads away from war and towards understanding and human unity. This is the surge the world is waiting for."

Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) - Washington D.C. (June 7, 2010)

The Science of Human Relations - something maybe to study a bit - I don't really know much about Franklin Roosevelt - but I do hope that more people in the US start to notice that while all this terrible tragedy is continuing without let up - there is a politician working hard to try and give peace a chance.

Kucinich is also the only politician in the US who seems prepared to ask difficult questions of the Obama admin

WASHINGTON - May 19 - Congressman Dennis Kucinich (D-OH) announced today that he will introduce legislation that would end the practice of targeting U.S. citizens for extrajudicial killing.

http://www.commondreams.org/newswire/2010/05/19-12

I hear people moaning about politicians all the time - saying they don't care about the people, they only care about the money - well, Kucinich has proved he cares and he is still fighting for a better world. I think when the people wake up and realise that snazzy PR does not a politician make - that the world needs people utterly committed to making the lives of the masses more balanced, fairer and hopeful, there really will be a revolution.

Whatever country we live in, we would all benefit from reassessing our politicians and looking closely at
the difference between rhetoric and hard graft, year in year out.

As someone outside the US, i can only watch and hope (in my wildest dreams) that the American people realise that it's not just for them that they need to find a true leader, but for the world. They are the power that dictates - they own the responsibility that comes with that.

I know saying these things makes me hated by some (yeah - you know who you are) - but Olga - I really care. This world is on the verge of catastrophe and watching it fade away is heartbreaking. I don't have any family as you know - so i feel like my home, my family is this world. I don't want to see it destroyed.
I don't want to see us fighting like dogs. I want to see us being the very best that we can be so that one day, when I'm an old man i can die happy knowing that the kids, the mums and dads that come after me, have a good life to look forward to, wherever they are in the world.

Does that make me a bad person, wanting that?

I refuse to be cynical about it - I believe in peace, after all.
msolga

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 06:17 pm
@Endymion,
Quote:
Well, I think it is different for every country, but most important in the world today is the US stance.

Agreed. Absolutely, Endy.

Quote:
KUCINICH: Well, the big lie is that we're not capable of peace. The big lie is that war is inevitable. War is not inevitable. Peace is inevitable if we are willing to go about the painstaking work of human relations, what Franklin Roosevelt called the science of human relations, it's up to us to work on a daily basis in building.

Thank you for the link.
I seem to recall dys posting quite a bit about Kucinich, on various past US political threads?
I wonder if he could be persuaded to post here, too. I'm interested in hearing more!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 23 Jul, 2010 09:19 pm
Dys was known to say, "Vote early, vote often, vote Kucinich."
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2010 04:32 am
Speaking of Revolution, Endy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzCjGgrewYY
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 26 Jul, 2010 09:36 pm

Hi - I will catch up soon

wishing you all a good day

endy
msolga

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 12:44 am
@Endymion,
Wishing you a good day, Endy.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 27 Jul, 2010 05:37 am
Good morning. Have a good one, everybody.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 12:36 pm

Good evening - and thanks for posting.

0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2010 12:39 pm

Afghanistan war logs: Massive leak of secret files exposes truth of occupation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/25/afghanistan-war-logs-military-leaks

Afghanistan war logs: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange – 'There appears to be evidence of war crimes'

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2010/jul/26/afghanistan-war-logs-wikileaks-assange

WikiLeaks Founder Julian Assange: "Transparent Government Tends to Produce Just Government"

http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/28/wikileaks_founder_julian_assange_transparent_government

Afghanistan war logs: tensions increase after revelation of more leaked files

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/jul/27/afghanistan-war-logs-tensions-strained

A hundred foreign soldiers lost their lives fighting the Taliban in June -- the highest number since the war started nine years ago.

WikiLeaks and the War

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/closeread/2010/07/wikileaks-and-the-war.html

Marine Gen. James Mattis: We're not leaving

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2010-07-28-mattis28_ST_N.htm?csp=34news

Kucinich: 92,000 reasons to end the wars, pick one

http://rawstory.com/rs/2010/0727/lawmakers-challenge-obama-afghan-leak/

House Approves $59B for Afghan War

http://news.antiwar.com/2010/07/27/house-approves-more-afghan-war-funding/

House Approves Money for Wars, but Rift Deepens

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/28/world/28prexy.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

Antiwar Left Grows in Congress With Latest War-Funding Vote

http://www.newsweek.com/blogs/the-gaggle/2010/07/27/anti-war-left-grows-in-congress-with-latest-war-funding-vote.html

$59B more for what? For this?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2010/jul/29/afghanistan-war-us-military

Quote:
"The ultimate cause of our failure was a simple one: despite all statements to the contrary, it was not due to lack of bravery on the part of our men, or to any fault of the Fleet’s. We were defeated by one thing only — by the inferior science of our enemies. I repeat — by the inferior science of our enemies."

Arthur C. Clarke

0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2010 08:56 pm

On WAR CRIMES and What We Owe

The shift in the media has become a wake up call to us all. For me, it started with an article published in the Independent UK.

Toxic legacy of US assault on Fallujah 'worse than Hiroshima'

Of course, I already knew something of the suffering in Fallujah. Pictures of deformed, limbless children have a tendency to leap out at me, and there are some excellent journalists out there on the web, who have tried to keep up to date with the war atrocity inflicted on the Iraqi people, but seeing this story appear in a main stream British newspaper, instead of on antiwar.com or common dreams, or any of the other humanitarian sites that have been trying to get people to listen to the truth for how many years? I've forgotten...still comes as a shock.

Here in Britain the inquiry into the Iraqi war has turned a corner, with the article which appeared in the Guardian last week.

Iraq inquiry: Saddam posed very limited threat to UK, ex-MI5 chief says

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2010/jul/20/iraq-inquiry-saddam-mi5-chief

This admittance has been followed up by comments which lead us closer to the reality of charging Tony Blair for war crimes. Against the sovereign nation of Iraq, as well as other, more domestic crimes – such as treason. (Which used to be punishable by death – until the law was changed a few years ago, by....well actually, by Tony Blair.)

Quote:
'The catastrophic illusions and acts of official betrayal at the heart of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq are being progressively exposed, one after another.'

Seumas Milne

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2010/jul/21/now-afghanistan-shows-limit-american-power

Of course, in his article Campbell points out that millions of British citizens were right to oppose the war on Iraq and the politicians were wrong to go along with it.

The 2 million who marched in London against the invasion of Iraq, were ignored. Any reporter who tried to undermine George Bush's or Tony Blair's stance, were condemned or laughed at, for being 'naïve'. Media outlets embraced war as a desert flower embraces rain. They did it for profit and for fear of damaging Britain's 'special relationship' with America. Tony Blair, of course, did it for his own reasons.

For some of us, British or American, it was a different kind of fear that drove us to believe war was the only way. Fear is easily manipulated. George Bush made the absolute most of what happened on 9/11. He played it for all it was worth. Contrary to some people's thinking, (and I can remember at least one occasion here on a2k when I was attacked for suggesting it) Iraq, Saddam Hussein and his people, were targeted in response to what happened that fateful day in New York. The motive may have been other than revenge, but under cover of revenge would do.

Anyone who still doesn't believe that (and I find it difficult to imagine there IS anyone) should take a look at this:

Quote:

During the Iraq war, the Bush administration assiduously cultivated the myth that Saddam Hussein organized the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon, although that was a patent lie (Bush lateradmitted it wasn’t true,
but by then the legend had taken root in the public subconscious).

Source

http://original.antiwar.com/justin/2010/07/22/haters-go-after-the-ground-zero-mosque/

The weapons of mass destruction Blair warned us of – anthrax, nuclear bombs, and all the rest, are hardly spoken of these days.
That is because the media who helped hype us these claims, don't want to remind themselves of their own cowardly incompetence.

George Bush and his enablers, Tony Blair and his enablers, the lying politicians, the lying media who encouraged crimes against humanity by spreading false truths and propaganda, any who knowingly handed prisoners over to those who would torture or murder them, the companies who hyped up war in order to win contracts, the oil companies who were thrown out of Iraq by Saddam Hussein before 9/11 and pushed for an invasion– the doctors who helped torture people in US prisons - all of them – they should all be investigated and some – those who ran the war from positions of power, should be arrested and tried for their crimes. A fair trial. One in which they have the opportunity to defend their positions. So much more than they gave the Iraqi people, who had no chance to defend themselves legally or militarily, but could only buckle under the onslaught of the great super-powers that bombed their sovereign country back to the dark ages.

There is an old woman who sums it all up for me. She appears somewhere in Mike Moore's film Fahrenheit 9/11 (and if you haven't watched it yet, for god's sake, do yourself a favour). Talking in a community centre with some other senior citizens, she says of Iraq “.... those poor people, will they ever be free? No. They'll never be free.”
She looks like she knows a thing or two about watching your country abuse it's powers. She looks like maybe, back in the days of Vietnam, she marched for peace.

It is for that very reason...for peace, that war crimes must not go unpunished. We should make people at the top accountable – not out of revenge or some need to satisfy our own frustrations and not because we wish to ease our collective conscience - but for the future, those who are being born right now, wherever they are, London, Fallujah or New York, We must at least make peace possible for them, by wiping the state clean (or at least, as clean as we can get it). Surely, that is the very least we can do.

Endymion 2010
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 05:10 am
Hey! GOOD News –

Some random thoughts on the good news/bad news see-saw of the world

Well, the good news is that Britain's Conservative/Liberal Democrat Coalition Government has said that all immigrant child detention shall be ended. Thank god and about ******* time. If you signed the petitions or wrote to your MP – well done. I'm sure public pressure played its part.
And if you want extra confirmation that you did the right thing, check out the article below -
A child's eye of life inside Yarl's Wood immigration removal centre written by a 14 year old lad.

The Labour Party are disgraced in the eyes of many. Absolutely. Glad to see the back of them...but the less than good news?

Immigration centre detainees on hunger strike
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/immigration-centre-detainees-on-hunger-strike-2042013.html

I heard on the radio a few weeks ago that immigrants are quitting Britain in their droves, which doesn't surprise me. Even the Eastern Europeans have seen enough. Thousands more are leaving than are arriving. Maybe it was one flag draped pub too many. Maybe it was all the pompous, lying hypocrites in their sharp suits, Maybe it was the television, spouting its patronising garbage at an unbelievably grateful audience. Who knows -

The new government are scrapping the ID card and those people who already voluntarily paid 30 QUID to get themselves signed and stamped WILL NOT GET A RE-FUND.

(bonus)

As Gordon Brown limps off to write his book about all the reasons why he shouldn't be remembered as a man who helped Tony Blair pour Britain's pride and future down an Iraqi oil well in the vain hope of making a great name for himself (not to mention lots of friends in the oil industry- and not to mention the 10 million pounds a year going into Tony's bank account) a note was found in the treasury department, awaiting the in-coming government. It said simply – THERE'S NO MONEY LEFT.

Not a great welcome, but better than saying, THERE IS A DEFICIT OF ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY SIX BILLION POUNDS (Which there is).

No apology from the Labour party, then?

Not even for those who died or were crippled in an illegal war?

Fine. **** em.

Torture inquiry should leave no stone unturned, says Amnesty

Investigation into human rights abuses promised by William Hague needs to be independent and must look at criminal responsibility, says organisation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/law/2010/may/27/government-torture-inquiry-amnesty

A child's eye of life inside Yarl's Wood immigration removal centre

As the new coalition government moves to end keeping children in detention centres, Wells Botomani, now 14, relives his family's nightmare at Yarl's Wood removal centre

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2010/may/26/immigration

These days, if you care about the world and the people in it – you might as well get used to being seen as a loser. It's just not 'in' to give a monkey's. Caring for your fellow humans is a no no inside the capitalist matrix (unless they have money, speak English and don't look anything like this)

Really – am I some kind of freak for being enraged by seeing women and children treated like animals?

You have no idea how hard it is to write about this stuff, without sounding sanctimonious, accusatory, naïve, daft, paranoid, loony, illiterate, or whatever- until you try it.

But being ashamed of what I write shouldn't come into it - if it's miss-understood, it's miss-understood. If its embarrassing, it's embarrassing. If it's crap, it's crap.
I don't exactly have a reputation to protect.

Terrible events are ten a penny these days. I can't keep up.
It's like turning cards over one at a time, looking for hearts and spades, when you mostly keep getting clubs and diamonds. Bad news. Bad news. Bad news. Bad news. Bad news. Good news. Bad news Bad news. Bad news.... and so on. The picture is grim. It doesn't matter where it's happening, or what the story is. It's all more bad news.

Except for the good news.

The tiny bits of good news.

Endymion 2010
spendius

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2010 05:44 am
@Endymion,
Keep it up Endy.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2010 01:44 am
@Endymion,
Quote:
You have no idea how hard it is to write about this stuff, without sounding sanctimonious, accusatory, naïve, daft, paranoid, loony, illiterate, or whatever- until you try it.

I think I do have some idea of how hard it is, Endy.
And I really appreciate the time & the thought you put into posts such as this one.

Quote:
But being ashamed of what I write shouldn't come into it - if it's miss-understood, it's miss-understood. If its embarrassing, it's embarrassing. If it's crap, it's crap.
I don't exactly have a reputation to protect.

Nothing here remotely to be ashamed or embarrassed about, I can assure you.
Your thoughts are crystal clear.
And I whole-heartedly agree with what you've said.
So there! Smile
Endymion

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:29 am
@msolga,

how do you deal with it, Olga?
i really would like to know.

Endymion

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:38 am
@Endymion,
HOW THEY GOT THEIR FICTITIOUS WAR

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/must-read/how-they-got-their-fictitious-war
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 08:55 am

Happy Fuckin' Labor Day!

By Michael Moore

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/happy-fuckin-labor-day
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:12 am
@Endymion,
Are you asking how you cope with writing about the serious subjects you write about in this thread, when you worry that you may not do justice to them, Endy?
I'm not sure about what you mean by your question.

Endymion

Reply Wed 8 Sep, 2010 09:27 am

"We Should Not Give Up the Game Before All the Cards Have Been Played"

By Howard Zinn

In this world of war and injustice, how does a person manage to stay socially engaged, committed to the struggle, and remain healthy without burning out or becoming resigned or cynical?

I am totally confident not that the world will get better, but that we should not give up the game before all the cards have been played. The metaphor is deliberate; life is a gamble. Not to play is to foreclose any chance of winning. To play, to act, is to create at least a possibility of changing the world.

There is a tendency to think that what we see in the present moment will continue. We forget how often we have been astonished by the sudden crumbling of institutions, by extraordinary changes in people's thoughts, by unexpected eruptions of rebellion against tyrannies, by the quick collapse of systems of power that seemed invincible.

What leaps out from the history of the past hundred years is its utter unpredictability. A revolution to overthrow the czar of Russia in that most sluggish of semi feudal empires not only startled the most advanced imperial powers but took Lenin himself by surprise and sent him rushing by train to Petrograd. Who would have predicted the bizarre shifts of World War II-the Nazi-Soviet pact (those embarrassing photos of von Ribbentrop and Molotov shaking hands), and the German army rolling through Russia, apparently invincible, causing colossal casualties, being turned back at the gates of Leningrad, on the western edge of Moscow, in the streets of Stalingrad, followed by the defeat of the German army, with Hitler huddled in his Berlin bunker, waiting to die?

And then the postwar world, taking a shape no one could have drawn in advance: The Chinese Communist revolution, the tumultuous and violent Cultural Revolution, and then another turnabout, with post-Mao China renouncing its most fervently held ideas and institutions, making overtures to the West, cuddling up to capitalist enterprise, perplexing everyone.

No one foresaw the disintegration of the old Western empires happening so quickly after the war, or the odd array of societies that would be created in the newly independent nations, from the benign village socialism of Nyerere's Tanzania to the madness of Idi Amin's adjacent Uganda. Spain became an astonishment. I recall a veteran of the Abraham Lincoln Brigade telling me that he could not imagine Spanish Fascism being overthrown without another bloody war. But after Franco was gone, a parliamentary democracy came into being, open to Socialists, Communists, anarchists, everyone.

The end of World War II left two superpowers with their respective spheres of influence and control, vying for military and political power. Yet they were unable to control events, even in those parts of the world considered to be their respective spheres of influence. The failure of the Soviet Union to have its way in Afghanistan, its decision to withdraw after almost a decade of ugly intervention, was the most striking evidence that even the possession of thermonuclear weapons does not guarantee domination over a determined population.

The United States has faced the same reality. It waged a full-scale war in Indochina, conducting the most brutal bombardment of a tiny peninsula in world history, and yet was forced to withdraw. In the headlines every day we see other instances of the failure of the presumably powerful over the presumably powerless, as in Bolivia and Brazil, where grassroots movements of workers and the poor have elected new presidents pledged to fight destructive corporate power.

Looking at this catalogue of huge surprises, it's clear that the struggle for justice should never be abandoned because of the apparent overwhelming power of those who have the guns and the money and who seem invincible in their determination to hold on to it. That apparent power has, again and again, proved vulnerable to human qualities less measurable than bombs and dollars: moral fervor, determination, unity, organization, sacrifice, wit, ingenuity, courage, patience-whether by blacks in Alabama and South Africa, peasants in El Salvador, Nicaragua, and Vietnam, or workers and intellectuals in Poland, Hungary, and the Soviet Union itself. No cold calculation of the balance of power need deter people who are persuaded that their cause is just.

I have tried hard to match my friends in their pessimism about the world (is it just my friends?), but I keep encountering people who, in spite of all the evidence of terrible things happening everywhere, give me hope. Wherever I go, I find such people, especially young people, in whom the future rests. And beyond the handful of activists there seem to be hundreds, thousands, more who are open to unorthodox ideas. But they tend not to know of one another's existence, and so, while they persist, they do so with the desperate patience of Sisyphus endlessly pushing the boulder up the mountain. I try to tell each group that they are not alone, and that the very people who are disheartened by the absence of a national movement are themselves proof of the potential for such a movement.

Revolutionary change does not come as one cataclysmic moment (beware of such moments!) but as an endless succession of surprises, moving zigzag toward a more decent society. We don't have to engage in grand, heroic actions to participate in the process of change. Small acts, when multiplied by millions of people, can quietly become a power no government can suppress, a power that can transform the world.

Even when we don't "win," there is fun and fulfillment in the fact that we have been involved, with other good people, in something worthwhile. We need hope. An optimist isn't necessarily a blithe, slightly sappy whistler in the dark of our time. To be hopeful in bad times is not being foolishly romantic. It is based on the fact that human history is a history not only of competition and cruelty but also of compassion, sacrifice, courage, kindness.

What we choose to emphasize in this complex history will determine our lives. If we see only the worst, it destroys our capacity to do something. If we remember those times and places-and there are so many-where people have behaved magnificently, it energizes us to act, and raises at least the possibility of sending this spinning top of a world in a different direction. And if we do act, in however small a way, we don't have to wait for some grand utopian future. The future is an infinite succession of presents, and to live now as we think human beings should live, in defiance of all that is bad around us, is itself a marvelous victory.

Excerpt from his recent book A Power Governments Cannot Suppress published by City Lights Books, www.citylights.com.

&

Howard Zinn shall be missed but his legacy is our work.

http://www.ivaw.org/node/5845

*********************************************************************************

hey - i'm sorry i have not been able to contribute as much as i would have liked to during 2010 (so far). I've not been 100% well (I know that sounds like an excuse, but honestly, it's more of a pain in the neck than anything).

I want you to know that I have not overlooked the news, good or bad, at home or abroad. I hope to continue here. I think now, more than ever before, it is up to those of us who can still envisage a better future for the world, to speak up, to try and support each other, to find some way of strengthening our resolve and even if we can't change the world, we can individually learn to come to terms with our own desire for peace.
To learn to live with that desire and to act on it.

I've changed a lot since I posted the first page of this thread. You could say, I've grown up (a bit). I no longer see the fight as being left against right, I see it as a fight for the survival of mankind, a fight for the right to live peacefully, in the spirit of compassion and encouragement, being the very best we can be, as humans.

Why should we give up our hopes for peace over violence? Why should we give up our love and choose hatred? Why should we abandon compassion in favour of intolerance? Peace. Love. Compassion. Self-belief.
These are exactly what we need in order to evolve from this quagmire of self-destruction we now find ourselves in. (Individually, socially, globally).

The truth is, we don't have to be afraid of our instinct to care for and protect our fellow man, woman and child. We can be ridiculed for it, but only by those who are afraid to engage with real change.

I don't expect miracles. I don't expect the world to turn around over night. I can only turn myself around and vow to put aside any thoughts of giving up.
This is a first step.

If you believe in justice, fairness, equality, unity, you are not alone. In fact, you are important - not just to me, here - but in the great scheme of things, because as Zinn said, no one person can force change. Change will happen gradually, as the truth slowly sinks in. Spread the word...

Peace
endy
0 Replies