The Bible As Science

spendius

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 03:22 pm
Well $30 is a lot. I bet with $30 you could have a few beers, a bag of salted peanuts, a pack of chewing gum out of a slot machine and still have enough left for half-an-hour on the What The Butler Saw viewing contraption.

I have seen it happen.There they are playing marbles and before you know it they are talking about cyclotrons and quarks and 22 dimension geometry and their aunties are really proud of them for being so clever and give them a big hug which is a rarity on account of them being ugly little four eyed gits.

I have seen them at a staff party sat with their wives, on whom I will not comment, talk all night about which card ought to have been played on the 11th trick by North, which is what South was questioning, when they were in 6 Hearts doubled and redoubled and they lost 10 pence on it.

If you think that's boring try a night of it.

That's what you produce reading the "in" science and paying for it enhances your assimilation quotient. I'm not even sure it is science. It takes science and runs trial and error programmes at great expense, natch, and dresses the results up as science.

Anything any good will be in the Sunday Times next weekend. They might have a cheap rate subscription and there might be a man in the office who has a good idea which of his subscribers has an interest in what. Anything on sex or closely related matters it's an All Points Alert so pressure is exerted, like in Boyle's Law, on the researchers to research something to do with sex or closely related matters.

BTW- Saying that what I had said is "rubbish" is as baldy-assed an assertion as baldy-assed assertions get. It gleams in the sunlight.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 21 Aug, 2006 11:13 pm
farmerman wrote:
Imagine, it was probably a bunch of scientists who spent time studying the Hobbit and made the corrections. Self policing is what science mostly does best. Now its the guys at NYT like that a**hole Nick Wade who will have to retract their stories. If rl had read the Nature article about the Hobbit, hed have seen that the announcements were "preliminary" and needed much confirmation since (and the article even said this) that there could be other explanations. I was skeptical even when it was reported because it was only a single issue of a small head. (SOmetimes , in a fossil find they mix up bones from many individuals. Im glad we can understand that the basic reearch game is not a simple task as clipping URLs . It took almost 35 years for the Piltdown man was shown to be a fake and that was basewd upon advances in chemistry and flourine dating.
You just have to read past the headlines in newspapers RL or even try to go to a University Library where nature or Science is on the stacks. We know your system of belief doesnt allow for research because, for you, its all been written down precisely well before science started muddling about.

Nobody ever said that scientists dont make mistakes. The real work goes into correcting them in front of the world. Its like giving a speech with your fly open. As a scientist your expected to "know everything" but if you screw up , you know theres a price to pay for jumping the gun too quickly.

Thats why Ted Daeschler hasnt been publishing more stuff about Tiktaalik until they are really finished with everything, He knows how the press can make you look like a complete dork if it doesnt understand the detail involved in arreiving at conclusions.

That's my point.

Are they gonna call a big news conference and mug for the camera to issue their correction, like they did for the initial announcement?

Or wait until they have landed a grant or two on the basis on their 'discovery' and just put out a 1 page press release?

We may be looking at the post-grant press release.

Statements like:

Quote:
"This finding really does rewrite our knowledge of human evolution," said Chris Stringer, who directs human origins studies at the Natural History Museum in London. "And to have them present less than 20,000 years ago is frankly astonishing."

don't really sound 'preliminary' , do they?

And

Quote:
"So the 18,000-year-old skeleton cannot be some kind of 'freak' that we just happened to stumble across," said one of the discoverers, radiocarbon dating expert Richard G. Roberts of the University of Wollongong in Australia.

turns out to be flat out wrong.

Also

Quote:

makes me wonder just type of 'analysis' was done, especially when we read

Quote:
The team further argues that the sole skull from the cave, part of a specimen labeled LB1, is deformed. Mirror imaging the left side of LB1's skull and putting those halves together creates a distinctly different face than two right halves put together in the same way (see picture). Such asymmetry suggests developmental abnormalities, the researchers report.

apparently you wouldn't have to be a Genius Treasure Hunter to figure out the lone skull was deformed.

The well crafted image of the scientist as an objective , cautious weigher of facts is blown to pieces by these guys who can't wait to get their face in front of the camera and utter the soundbyte of the year.

One wonders are they the exception, or the rule?

Human nature being what it is, you decide.

You can't really blame this on the media. (And I love blaming things on the media.)

But they aren't educated in science. They trust that these PhD's have their ducks in a row before they start telling whoppers. Guess not.
0 Replies