The Bible As Science

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:46 pm
The Bible As Science.

Unbeknownst to many, in the Bible Jesus defines the cycle or permutation of elements.

Matthew 19:30 But many [that are] first shall be last; and the last [shall be] first.

Mark 10:31 But many [that are] first shall be last; and the last first.

Definitions (Merriam Webster)
Cycle: (n) 1 : an interval of time during which a sequence of a recurring succession of events or phenomena is completed *a 4-year cycle of growth and development*
2 a : a course or series of events or operations that recur regularly and usually lead back to the starting point b : one complete performance of a vibration, electric oscillation, current alternation, or other periodic process c : a permutation of a set of ordered elements in which each element takes the place of the next and the last becomes first

Permutation: (n) 1 : often major or fundamental change (as in character or condition) based primarily on rearrangement of existent elements *the system has gone through several permutations*; also : a form or variety resulting from such change *technology available in various permutations*
2 a : the act or process of changing the lineal order of an ordered set of objects b : an ordered arrangement of a set of objects
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,732 • Replies: 61
No top replies

username

Reply Wed 16 Aug, 2006 11:48 pm
Does this make any sense to anyone, or is it what is seems to be, sheer gibberish?
0 Replies

megamanXplosion

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 03:36 am
Gibberish.
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 04:37 am
I understand what he's trying to say and I can state that this is not proof that the Bible is 100% scientifically sound. Even the Buddhists and Hindus were aware of life cycles and the average Jew would have been aware of the cycle of seasons.

Just because they were aware of the definition of a cycle does not mean that the Bible is 100% sound.

If Mindonfire does not understand that, I must request he return his brain to God, because he clearly isn't using it.
0 Replies

c logic

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:29 am
"The Bible As Science" should be taught in schools... as an oxymoron.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:31 am
The Bible as Science . . .

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

. . . ah me . . . thanks, that made my day . . .
0 Replies

Mindonfire

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 01:53 pm
Setanta wrote:
The Bible as Science . . .

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehee
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

. . . ah me . . . thanks, that made my day . . .

Keep laughing. He who laughs last laughs best. LOL
0 Replies

Wolf ODonnell

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 02:37 pm
Mindonfire wrote:
Keep laughing. He who laughs last laughs best. LOL

That, then, would be me. Laughing

I stated that you failed to prove the Bible was scientifically accurate, yet you ignore that. I tell you very distinctly that what you have proved nothing except for the fact that Jesus knew about cycles, which isn't really a revelation seeing as many other peoples in his day knew about cycles, even those that weren't Jews or Christians.

I remember reading about a group of Native Americans, who view time as a cycle instead of linearly. This was long before science and Christianity came to them.

Way to ignore us when we tell you your post is a failure.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 04:19 pm
What I'd like to know is why you think those verses substantiate what you are saying. Don't you understand what those verses mean?

As I understand it and have been taught, when it says the first shall be last and the last shall be first (you can find it in other places in the Bible as the greatest shall be last and the the least first), it means those that think they are better than others will be the last to be received and those that are the humblest shall be first in God's eyes.

So, I don't understand how this has a single thing to do with any type of cycle or science.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 04:40 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
What I'd like to know is why you think those verses substantiate what you are saying. Don't you understand what those verses mean?

As I understand it and have been taught, when it says the first shall be last and the last shall be first (you can find it in other places in the Bible as the greatest shall be last and the the least first), it means those that think they are better than others will be the last to be received and those that are the humblest shall be first in God's eyes.

So, I don't understand how this has a single thing to do with any type of cycle or science.

Im in agrence with Arella Mae, Lit lik how some ppl say genisis is just a metaphor, and Adam and Eve are peramesium is idiotic. Back in those days i dont think they had anythinking about that and more thought in inventing the wheel and fighting off lions.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:33 pm
Arella Mae wrote:

Surely the fact that two of you can have completely different interpretations of the same short passage must make you both aware that you can't trust yourselves to interpret it. If you claim a god assists you to understand it, then why does he assist so many different people to interpret it in so many different ways.....for His Holy Amusement?
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:52 pm
Eorl Wrote:

Quote:
Surely the fact that two of you can have completely different interpretations of the same short passage must make you both aware that you can't trust yourselves to interpret it. If you claim a god assists you to understand it, then why does he assist so many different people to interpret it in so many different ways.....for His Holy Amusement?

There is no way you can convince me and probably not too many other people that these verses have a thing to do with science or a cycle of any kind.

Are you going to tell me, Eorl that you, in any way, can see how those verses have a single thing to do with science or a cycle of anything? If you can, try reading the rest of the story surrounding those verses. I think you'll find it has nothing to do with science or any kind of cycle and it is very clear. It's about God's grace. Check this link out. Tell me if it has a thing to do with science or a cycle of anything.

http://www.scripturestudies.com/Vol12/L1/nt.html

Here is a commentary on the Mark scripture referenced in the original post. Tell me where it has a single thing to do with science or a cycle of anything.

http://www.godrules.net/library/clarke/clarkemar10.htm
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 05:55 pm
Well, you've completely misunderstood Eorl, although that may be purposefully disingenous. He's simply pointing out that all scripture is subject to widely varying interpretation. Nothing which Eorl wrote suggests for a moment that he believes the passage has anything to do with science.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:39 pm
Folks, the man obviously cannot help himself whatsoever.

Eorl, if I got your meaning right you stated that there are obviously two different interpretations here in play and maybe I should look at that? Is that about it?

My response to you was in direct response to THESE PARTICULAR SCRIPTURES, which I SEE IN NO WAY can be interpreted the way they were in the original post. I will agree that there are plenty of scriptures that yes, can be interpreted differently. I was merely asking you if you could see how these particular scriptures could have the interpretation of the original poster.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:43 pm
The bible as science...
That sentance makes me giggle.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:46 pm
...same reaction I get whenever I see a Satanist being real judgemental...
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:51 pm
snood wrote:

And some retarded people giggle when they smell wet paint. It's all about perspective.
0 Replies

Arella Mae

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:53 pm
Actually, I'd call it discernment and Snood has plenty of it. Laughing
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 06:57 pm
Doktor S wrote:
snood wrote:

And some retarded people giggle when they smell wet paint. It's all about perspective.

You do a disservice to those who may be mentally challenged.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Thu 17 Aug, 2006 07:01 pm
Arella Mae wrote:
Eorl Wrote:

Quote:

There is no way you can convince me and probably not too many other people that these verses have a thing to do with science or a cycle of any kind.

Are you going to tell me, Eorl that you, in any way, can see how those verses have a single thing to do with science or a cycle of anything? If you can, try reading the rest of the story surrounding those verses. I think you'll find it has nothing to do with science or any kind of cycle and it is very clear. It's about God's grace. Check this link out. Tell me if it has a thing to do with science or a cycle of anything.

http://www.scripturestudies.com/Vol12/L1/nt.html

Here is a commentary on the Mark scripture referenced in the original post. Tell me where it has a single thing to do with science or a cycle of anything.

http://www.godrules.net/library/clarke/clarkemar10.htm

Eorl is just maiking the statement, which you completely skipped to answere, If God helps you undertsnad something why are there so many opions? Which i believe is a valid question.
0 Replies