Lost data
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,511 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Raggedyaggie

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 01:51 pm
WOW. This is a great idea for a thread, Lightwizard. Since I don't go to the movie theater frequently any more, I will appreciate hearing your views and those of other A2K'rs on what's out there these days. Bravo!
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:02 pm
I don't go to the movies more than once a month so I pass on most of the new releases -- I was hoping even if someone hadn't seen all of the new ones, they'd participate in the poll because they had seen one or more of the films. Also capsule reviews are welcome and even if one wants to pass on their favorite critic's response (since there should be a lack of anyone here who starts raving about following the critics). I note that "Finding Nemo" is getting extremely good reviews, especially for the artistic technology of Pixar which made "Monsters Inc." and other animation films so entertaining for adults as well as children. (Yes, I am prejudice with my Sully avatar!) We could include "new to DVD or cable," but perhaps on a seperate thread and I realize it has to be given time for everyone to see the film. I wonder how many A2Ker's do actually see a film every week. I know some of my friends and business associates do, so my poll vote would likely be what I see the critics favoring as well as relationships close enough to appreciate their opinion.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 31 May, 2003 04:05 pm
Someone else voted for "Finding Nemo" and I am assuming it wasn't you, Raggedy? No fair just voting without a capsule review (okay, so I voted for it based on the above criteria, not having seen it myself. It is one I am enthused about going out to the movies to see.)
0 Replies

wintersgm

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 09:59 am
I'm Confessing
I was the one who voted for Nemo. Didn't know I had to comment.
My only basis for the vote is that Nemo was the only one of the listed movies that I would be interested in seeing. Confused
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 6 Jun, 2003 01:57 pm
Hey, that's okay. Were loose around here (and almost everywhere else, especially single's bars) Laughing

If you do go and see it, we would appreciate your response to the movie.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 08:24 pm
I heartily agree that it would be great to know someone
who already saw the movie - & get a loose idea about
the plot etc, their opinion, just to see if I think it is worth
bothering to go see. I have not been to a single
movie in at least 2 months....maybe 3. I haven't been
enthusiastic enough, and I haven't heard people
talking about what a terrific new movie they saw either.
Welcome to A2K "wintersgm". It is always SO nice
to see a new face around here. Glad you decided
to join us. I agree with lightwiz, there aren't too many
rules and regulations around here, other than being
polite & not attacking someone else's point of view.
The only move I saw recently was a rerun of A River
Runs Through It on the telly the other night. Now
THAT was a good movie.
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:16 pm
Lightwizard<

2Fast, 2Furious is too youthful in content matter for me to see. It has been blasted by several TV news reports for its "hot-rod" racing sequences.

It appears that these scenes are being used by teen audiences as a "copycat" thrill. In fact, the LA police -- according to the TV reports -- have been asked to pay particular attention this weekend to young drivers who are racing each other in their cars.

In my day, these were called "drag" races with the powerful Rebel without a Cause depicting a side bar of drag racing called "chicken."
0 Replies

maxsdadeo

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2003 11:28 pm
Ok, here goes.
FINDING NEMO

I have yet to see the film, but max has seen it twice, maximom once, and I know everything, (I mean EVERYTHING!!) about this movie.

It is the cutting edge of Pixar, and for my money, they are the most innovative Studio going.

This is the fifth, and final collaboration(under the present contract) and Disney will have to pay dearly (read "through the nose") to continue to work with them past this.

Excellent voices, action, comedy this state of the art computer generated film has it all.

I give it 5 popcorn boxes!!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 05:26 am
If NOBODY has seen a particular film, you can get some kind of idea about what the pros are saying:

http://www.mrqe.com/
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 09:23 am
That's in our links thread but warrants repeating as well as:

www.metacritic.com

I agree, max, that Pixar is phenominal -- but "Ice Age" was also startlingly three dimensional and I see a future of much competition for the computer animation crown. I am going out this next week to see "Finding Nemo" based on what's been written here as well as Ebert and other critics. Sounds like a fun night at the movies (and we do need some fun right now!)

WH -- they are mirroring what does happen in Southern California (they don't need a movie to inspire racing on the streets). It is exaggerated and looks like in the new film, more video game than movie. I liked the character interaction in the first film, especially between Paul Walker and Vin Diesel. There was a good story and a logical, rather touching conclusion.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 10:06 am
WE SAW THE ITALIAN JOB BECAUSE THE FIRST VERSION OF THIS FILM (MICHAEL CAINE ET AL) WAS GREAT FUN. WE THOROUGHLY ENJOYED THIS ONE AS A RELIEF FROM THE RAIN AND GREY GRASS AND TREES AROUND HERE.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2003 01:58 pm
Alright, farmerman -- thanks for the recommendation. I might go to the movies a couple of times this week. Just saw the new James Bond "Die Another Day" on DVD and it was great fun (although a bit noisy for anyone over 40 Laughing ). Loved the invisible Astin Martin but the satellite ray gun has been done before and was borrowed from "The Man With the Golden Gun" (using the sun's rays as a weapon).
0 Replies