Catholics are as perverted as any religion

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 03:34 pm
Catholic Church is pro-child molestation -- they tried to cover it up and move priests around to different cities in order to allow it to continue.

All religions are the same.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,552 • Replies: 55
No top replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 03:41 pm
bm
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 04:06 pm
This area is called "Derry" and has a poulation of just 284,100.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/4382736.stm

Abuse claims 'against 26 priests'

Dr Hegarty expressed his "unreserved apologies"
Allegations of child sex abuse have been made against 26 priests serving in the Derry diocese over the past 50 years, the diocesan bishop has said.
Dr Seamus Hegarty said there had been only one successful prosecution.

It follows a report which found that 21 priests had abused children in County Wexford over the past 40 years.

Bishop Hegarty investigated past and current child sex abuse allegations with the aid of an independent child welfare expert.

He said they trawled back over 50 years, a period during which 330 priests served or are still serving in the Derry diocese.

Nine of the priests against whom allegations were made are now dead, Dr Hegarty said.

Allegations against 11 of the rest were found to have been withdrawn, not substantiated, mistaken identity, failure to be identified at all, or else determined by the police or social workers not to be a case of child sex abuse, he said.

I am confident that every allegation made against priests now serving in this diocese have been investigated and the necessary procedures followed

Dr Seamus Hegarty
Bishop of Derry

Of the remainder, one priest was stood down and was professionally assessed to be no risk and another priest paid money to a claimant - though admitted no liability.

In another case, the alleged abuse happened outside Ireland and another case is recent and ongoing, said the bishop.

Two cases resulted in prosecutions and one of these was successful, said Dr Hegarty.

In 1996, Father Gerard McCallion admitted the abuse of two Londonderry sisters years earlier.

'Investigated allegations'

Bishop Hegarty said he published the report on Thursday confident that "every allegation made against priests now serving in his diocese had been investigated and the necessary procedures followed".

To the victims, he said he "could not express enough his heartfelt and unreserved apologies".

"I also acknowledge that no system will be perfect," he said.

"However, as Bishop, I will do everything that I can, with the help of national, diocesan and parish structures, to ensure that all reported allegations of abuse are dealt with promptly and effectively.

"Our paramount concern is for the safety and welfare of children," he said.

"An independent child care consultant has recently carried out a review of all cases in this diocese, and the diocese will have ongoing external review."

This report is a catalogue of criminal abuse and of sacred trust betrayed

Bishop Hegarty

Meanwhile on Thursday, the Catholic Church authorities in Derry confirmed a parish priest in the diocese had left his post while the police investigated an allegation of child abuse.

A diocesan spokesman said the priest requested a leave of absence during the investigation into the allegation, which the priest denies.

An Irish government inquiry into child abuse in the Ferns diocese in County Wexford uncovered over 100 allegations of sexual abuse by priests.

The 271-page Ferns report published on Tuesday investigated allegations against 21 priests who had been working in the diocese between 1966-2002.

The report said police investigations into claims of abuse were inadequate.

It also criticised bishops in the diocese for failing to take basic precautions to protect children.

Bishop Hegarty said the report had been devastating.

"These innocent people have been wounded so badly by those they should have been able to trust," he said.

"This report is a catalogue of criminal abuse and of sacred trust betrayed."
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 04:11 pm
Quote:
All religions are the same

Prove it.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 04:50 pm
There are examples of sexual indiscretions within all religions.

I think that is essentially true, because human nature is often an ugly thing... but that would be very hard to prove on a mere message board... you could write a multi-volume work on the subject if you wanted to. It would require a great deal of background, as well as linguistic and theoretical groundwork. But based on what we see in the news and what we've read in books, it stands to reason that sexual indiscretions could have happened in all religions, quite easily, in fact, depending on how you define "religions."
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 04:57 pm
For you to claim that the Catholic church is pro-molestation is just ridiculous.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:14 pm
Shocked
this outta be good
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:23 pm
Re: Catholics are as perverted as any religion
Jeremiah wrote:
Catholic Church is pro-child molestation -- they tried to cover it up and move priests around to different cities in order to allow it to continue.

All religions are the same.

I doubt that very much. They may do what you claim, but not for the reason you state. It's to protect the church. Does that make it better? No, it probably makes it worse....but still. I think it highly unlikely the church encourages or deliberately facilitates any molestation....the self-protection of the church just makes it seem that way. Also, you have the problem of having to accept the "repentance" of the priests involved, it's one of the silly rules in that big book.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:29 pm
Jeremiah wrote:

I think that is essentially true, because human nature is often an ugly thing... but that would be very hard to prove on a mere message board... you could write a multi-volume work on the subject if you wanted to. It would require a great deal of background, as well as linguistic and theoretical groundwork. But based on what we see in the news and what we've read in books, it stands to reason that sexual indiscretions could have happened in all religions, quite easily, in fact, depending on how you define "religions."

1 - define 'sexual indiscretion'
2 - What evidence have you to link religion to molestation that I couldn't parallel with say, milkmen?
3 - How do you know you could write a 'multi volume work' on a subject that you can't even lay out the basics of? Seems quite the elastic assumption on your part.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:32 pm
News flash: Doktor S and Eorl rally in defense of the Catholic Church Shocked

Well not really....but hey, a strange moment worth noting.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:34 pm
Well, as distinct as my distaste for spiritual religion is in general, it still bugs me to see mindless blather from any camp Razz
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:37 pm
"Madam, forget such fears and be my pupil,
And I shall teach you how to conquer scruple.
Some joys, its true are wrong in Heaven's eyes;
Yet Heaven is not averse to compromise;
There is a science, lately formulated,
Whereby one's conscience may be liberated,
And any wrongful act you care to mention
May be redeemed by purity of intention.
I'll teach you Madam, the secret of that science;
Meanwhile, just place on me your full reliance.
Assuage my keen desires, and feel no dread;
The sin, if any, shall be on my head.
If you're still troubled, think of things this way:
No one shall know our joys save us alone,
And there's no evil till the act is known;
It's scandal, madam, which makes it an offense,
And it's no sin to sin in confidence." Moliere - Tartuffe
0 Replies

BDV

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:10 pm
Not just Catholics, heres an article on the "Jehovah's Witnesses." , plus you can watch a documentary on the subject using real media player from that location.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/panorama/2114320.stm

One of the major issues with the Catholic church was moving priests, paying of victims, not reporting to the police and police not investigating correctly. Article below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_Catholic_sex_abuse_cases
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:25 pm
Yes, The Witnesses are especially insular when it comes to self protection. It's all really quite Darwinian. Churches that have the techniques for survival do, and those that don't....don't.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:04 pm
Doktor S wrote:
Jeremiah wrote:

1 - define 'sexual indiscretion'
2 - What evidence have you to link religion to molestation that I couldn't parallel with say, milkmen?
3 - How do you know you could write a 'multi volume work' on a subject that you can't even lay out the basics of? Seems quite the elastic assumption on your part.

1) I assume you know what 'sexual' means... I also assume you can look up 'indiscretion' in an online dictionary. I'm sure you can manage that.

2) The only link I ever suggested between religion and molestation is that molesters, however you define it, often profess one religion or another. Nothing more...

3) By "one could write a multivolume work," on said sexual indiscretions, I meant that since a lot of people have walked the earth throughout human history, many of whom chose to adhere to a particular religion, surely then, there were people of religion who commited despicable sexual acts... I think if we took a comparatively small sample of examples of American sex crimes, organized by the criminal's religious affiliation, indexed within a specific period, such as between 1840 and 2006, one could indeed write a multivolume work consisting of thousands of pages! Does this not stand to reason?

I was making a general deduction, not so much forming a scientific hypothesis for which I'd have to present evidence based on data collection or experiementation - nor was I forming such a hypothesis for which I would have present evidence -- yet you rather snidely insisted I do so. Obviously, when most people have a friendly conversation, they're not intending to make scientific hypotheses. That's sort of a strange thing to assume when just chatting on a message board - strangely defensive. That being said, I never presumed to "lay out the basics" of such a subject.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:33 pm
Jeremiah wrote:
The only link I ever suggested between religion and molestation is that molesters, however you define it, often profess one religion or another. Nothing more...

Since the overwhelming majority of PEOPLE profess one religion or another, I guess all you are really saying is the child molesters are, in almost all cases....people.

Nothing more, you say?

OK.

We done?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:41 pm
Eorl wrote:
Yes, The Witnesses are especially insular when it comes to self protection. It's all really quite Darwinian. Churches that have the techniques for survival do, and those that don't....don't.
I'm sure you would be welcome to spy on us.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:51 pm
neologist wrote:
Eorl wrote:
I'm sure you would be welcome to spy on us.

What is one called if he observes a Witness? Is he a Witness witness?

Seriously, having been raised RC, I wouldn't be too quick to compare the two. I don't think there's much similarity.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 10:54 pm
Witness squared.

I also was raised RC. I lasted until I was 14.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 11:08 pm
Yeah I pretty much dropped out mentally by then and altogether by 16. Didn't seem like anyone was too serious about it.

But I found out I was wrong. Some are.

When I left, after failing to persuade me to stay the priest told me that it didn't matter what I believed, that the Catholic church was going to rule the world.

Kinda sounded like a threat almost, but it didn't work.
0 Replies