Is it time for divine intervention?

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:40 am
Or can we hope that humanity will solve its own problems?

Will the word's religions forge a solution?
Or some political movement?
Scientific advancement?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,316 • Replies: 31
No top replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 09:44 am
I dont know how we could solve our own problem with out everyone killing everyone who doesnt agree. There are to many religion that seam to resort to vindictive "my way is the only way" thoughts so cross that out. Politics only complicate things. But i say science could work. They could create overlord robots that hold us all in fear and unite us under one goal, survival.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:29 pm
It's definitely time for divine intervention. It always is.

Until then, we'll have to assume nothing divine exists at all, and never has. Otherwise we will continue to be dysfunctional due to our conflicting guesses as to it's nature and expectation.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:32 pm
Re: Is it time for divine intervention?
neologist wrote:
Or can we hope that humanity will solve its own problems?

Will the word's religions forge a solution?
Or some political movement?
Scientific advancement?

What problems? Humanity is now pretty much as it always has been.
The only problems here exist in the minds of idealists Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:39 pm
If the past 60+ years have taught me anything, it's to not trust the judgement of peoples or nations. We have barely moved beyond the scavenging ancestors of half a million years ago, and are much more vicious. Of course, we have better toys.

It would be nice if there were a God, a kindly, caring old Santa of a figure, to rescue us. Might as well believe aliens from distant stars will intervene for the good.
0 Replies

Doktor S

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:42 pm
Quote:

It would be nice if there were a God, a kindly, caring old Santa of a figure, to rescue us. Might as well believe aliens from distant stars will intervene for the good.

The second actually seems far more plausible, as no invocation of the supernatural would be required.
Still, I won't be holding my breath. As a matter of fact, I like the world as it is.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:42 pm
the only thing that has changed is that we have the ability to literally annihilate ouselves as a species now. There is no reason to think we will not. We have always and I mean always done the maximum worse to ourselves that we could with what we had at hand.

If you accept the fact that your life will end, it's actually a damned interesting time to be alive.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:45 pm
"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:46 pm
well, since it seems that most of our problems stem from some sort of divinity, divine intervention is well over due, I'd say.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 05:54 pm
this song has made the rounds on a2k lately

it sort of says it all

With God On Our Side
Bob Dylan

Oh my name it is nothin'
My age it means less
The country I come from
Is called the Midwest
I's taught and brought up there
The laws to abide
And that land that I live in
Has God on its side.

Oh the history books tell it
They tell it so well
The cavalries charged
The Indians fell
The cavalries charged
The Indians died
Oh the country was young
With God on its side.

Oh the Spanish-American
War had its day
And the Civil War too
Was soon laid away
And the names of the heroes
I's made to memorize
With guns in their hands
And God on their side.

Oh the First World War, boys
It closed out its fate
The reason for fighting
I never got straight
But I learned to accept it
Accept it with pride
For you don't count the dead
When God's on your side.

When the Second World War
Came to an end
We forgave the Germans
And we were friends
Though they murdered six million
In the ovens they fried
The Germans now too
Have God on their side.

I've learned to hate Russians
All through my whole life
If another war starts
It's them we must fight
To hate them and fear them
To run and to hide
And accept it all bravely
With God on my side.

But now we got weapons
Of the chemical dust
If fire them we're forced to
Then fire them we must
One push of the button
And a shot the world wide
And you never ask questions
When God's on your side.

In a many dark hour
I've been thinkin' about this
That Jesus Christ
Was betrayed by a kiss
But I can't think for you
You'll have to decide
Whether Judas Iscariot
Had God on his side.

So now as I'm leavin'
I'm weary as Hell
The confusion I'm feelin'
Ain't no tongue can tell
The words fill my head
And fall to the floor
If God's on our side
He'll stop the next war.
0 Replies

kate4christ03

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:08 pm
the bible is clear that it will get bad bf it gets better...many times Christ spoke on the end times and on diseases, natural disasters, sin, war etc ....Revelation and Daniel are good to look at for an escatology discussion......In short, it wont get better til it gets worse...Then Christ will come and it will be perfect:)
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:48 pm
Deseases, war, natural disaters, sin.....Yea this has been around for ever and always will be, ppl has been claiming the end of the world sense the begining of the world and as you can tell..... *looks around*......they have all been wrong.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:51 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
Deseases, war, natural disaters, sin.....Yea this has been around for ever and always will be, ppl has been claiming the end of the world sense the begining of the world and as you can tell..... *looks around*......they have all been wrong.

I say again...

Intrepid wrote:
"For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord." (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)

People can claim all they want. It is only the Lord who will determine.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:52 pm
Since life is getting better for humanity all the time, I guess the magic return is a long way off.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:55 pm
Eorl wrote:
Since life is getting better for humanity all the time, I guess the magic return is a long way off.

How do you figure that things are getting better? Do you read the news? Smile
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 06:58 pm
lets see, more freedom for women and minorities and freedom of speach, and health is up....Just b/c a few countrys are fighting doesnt mean the whole world is coming in its final hour.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:01 pm
Intrepid wrote:

So ridiculous.
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:03 pm
EpiNirvana wrote:
lets see, more freedom for women and minorities and freedom of speach, and health is up....Just b/c a few countrys are fighting doesnt mean the whole world is coming in its final hour.

Freedom for which women and in what countries? Which minorities and in what countries? Freedom of speech in what countries? Who's health is up?

How many is a few countries? Does it count that one of them is the most powerful country on earth?

I never said the world is coming to it's final hour... what I said was posted twice. My point of this post is in answer to your last post pertaining to things getting better.
0 Replies

EpiNirvana

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:04 pm
Just pray God doesnt hear you say that!
0 Replies

Intrepid

Reply Mon 14 Aug, 2006 07:04 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
Intrepid wrote:

So ridiculous.

You are entitled to your opinion. That does not make your opinion right. It is your opinion that it is ridiculous. That does not make it ridiculous.
0 Replies